Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

When the Cab has been lifted and is in the air, how do you start the Engine on a Cat Skidsteer?

uglyguy · 2023-07-12 08:17

I have a Cat 299D2. When the Cab has been lifted and is in the air, how do you start the Engine? I've seen, in the past the Cat mechanic start and run the machine with a remote. My employee climbed in the cab when it was up (not recommended), however it would not start. I assume there is a safety sensor, that over rides it. I have a hydraulic leak under the cab and can't find it, it would be nice to be able to run the machine with the cab up. Thanks!

Replies8
  1. #1Vetech632023-07-12 11:04

    You can't without the proper tool. Cat and other manufacturers do that so the general public doesn't get killed in the process.

  2. #2heymccall2023-07-12 11:25

    I raise the cab, lower the seat bar, and compress the seat bottom. I know that works on my 248b, and I'm pretty sure that it works on my 262D3.

  3. #3Nige2023-07-12 11:43

    Agreed. The other way would be to temporarily jumper the seat (operator presence) switch #37 between Pins 3 & 4 of the connector before raising the cab then lower the safety bar once it was up. Those two switches are the only electrical components that I know of that will prevent an engine start. Input from other safety-related switches is required before the implements or drive system can be operated.

  4. #4uglyguy2023-07-12 18:27

    Ok, I'll try jumping the pins for the seat. I guess I could also but some type of weight in the seat and compress the seat bottom also. I just was not sure if there was some other switch/sensor on the cab. Thanks!

  5. #5heymccall2023-07-12 18:48

    Just compress seat bottom with your hand. If it cranks, your pressing hard enough.

  6. #6uglyguy2023-07-13 09:02

    I'm thinking that once you remove your hand it will shut off? Employee climbed in the cab, with it up in the air and tried starting it, but it would not start. I'm thinking his but may have not been completely seated, since the cab was at a angle in the air. (I don't recommend this, since the entire cab and operator are being held up with only the brace/support on the side.

  7. #7Nige2023-07-13 09:09

    Try HMC’s suggestion with the cab down first. With the arm bar down, press on the seat cushion. Can you start the engine.? Release the pressure, does it stop.?

  8. #8uglyguy2023-07-14 15:28

    I ended out finding my leak by sarting the machine with cab down and then opening cab and saw fluid leaking out of a hose. Thanks for everyone help