I got called out to work on this machine the other day, it had been sitting for "over a year", he wanted to get it going, so he could sell it. Machine is a 1976 LS-4800, she is pretty rough and does not run like a top.
now
yeah that is the same thing that I said I got it so he could move it and put it on the lowbed but I told him he was better off cutting it up then trying to fix it, he could find a good used piece for what it would take to fix this one.
4800 Look's like there's some "character" to that old girl.We had a 1978 Link-Belt 5800,machine look's identical to it.They were smooth operating machine's with the Speed-O-Matic controls.As a touch of class, the throttle and swing lock levers were chrome plated with oak handles riveted to them.5800 was a good sewer machine. Dominion:canada
As I recall those were a hybrid, half mechanical and half hydraulic. All the one I saw had Detroits in the them. Made lots of noise, drank fuel by the barrel and were not the easiest things to fix when they broke. I don't know that you could even get parts for them anymore. At any rate if the owner wants to pay to get it running, who are we to question his motives.
Its too bad, scrap steel was out of control and it may have been worth $2~3000 a few years ago.