Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

When your crane is too heavy, and not set up for boom dolly…..

crane operator ยท 2021-09-29 20:39

I've added in lift axles on cranes to avoid boom dolly and get legal, both in front of and behind the tandems. But I've never added up front.

Replies8
  1. #1renovator2021-09-29 21:04

    I wonder if both of those axles are there to increase the distance between the first and last axles? Lengthen the bridge, so to speak. Look like a northwestern set up.

  2. #2JLarson2021-09-30 00:30

    Looks er special lol

  3. #3Flat Thunder Channel2021-09-30 06:42

    The interesting part is the front frame usually necks down under the cab. In some cases they can be ordered with full size frame extensions, but I'm not knowledgeable of this specific chassis design. I wonder if the front can support much weight or if it's more for 'show'? It definitely makes the numbers look better by increasing the extreme axle spread.

  4. #4Crummy2021-09-30 07:00

    They drive it everywhere in reverse. Duh.

  5. #5boaterri2021-09-30 08:17

    Bet the front axel is only down at the scales.

  6. #6Tugger22021-10-16 13:39

    I remember seeing a big American truck with with a front dolly.

  7. #7Truck Shop2021-10-16 20:44

    It would only work on the straight-even with a steerable drop axle on that long of spread it would plow and scrub the tires something horrible.

  8. #8petepilot2021-10-16 23:14

    tires sure would`nt last long if they had to roll all the time