Just recently was given the job of finding my own replacement. Felt kind of odd,to say the least,but,saw it as a challenge. Owner wants me to take over more administrative duties,equipment placement,rental equipment,etc. Problem is,we've run ads in the local papers for mechanics,for three weeks,and haven't had a single response.We have trade schools in our area,but are in the market for "experienced" help. The mechanics I know are all well employed,in fact,I get job offers on a daily basis,most from equipment dealers. We run ads for operators,and laborers,and get 10-15 applicants a day.Are there no heavy equipment mechanics looking for a new opportunity?
Not that i'm a mechanic but what are you offering in the form of wagers and employment plan-401K,health,veactions. Maybe some one would make a move on it if they new it was more than what they are making now,just a thought. I know around hear for truck/equipment it's around the low to mid 20's for hourly wage . with some overtime .
We don't have a 401K plan,but everything else is equal,or above, the local standards.The local Cat,Linkbelt,and Vermeer dealers are having the same problem.Contractors are basically trading help,depending on who has the current prevailing wage jobs.
Mechanic with 25 years diesel millwright and oilfield experience. Question; What's the best and only way to get someone to do something? A good mechanic does not want to talk to your remorse department or fill out their paperwork until After he's hired. he doesn't want to be interviewed by some who just thinks he knows a mechanics job. if the hands have to "chip in" For the coffee. Take a walk if he can't pull his personal truck in to change a tire etc he won't work there long if he's working around disgruntled employees it won't last Tools are expensive and need maintenance have a good tool allowance its cold dirty work have uniforms consumables will be supplied by the company. Drill bits zip wheels batteries etc if he comes in gets things going right some employees will hate him also seek to undermine him. I could add more but you get the picture . and to answer the "question"....... What's the best the only way to get someone to do something? Make the person "Want" to do it"! But of course you already knew that.
I know I am spoiled, so I won't o anywhere else. got 401k, health insurance I pay half, uniforms, education, company truck, and now an office as well. These younger guys don't want to work or work hard to get where I have. We have been looking and growing guys. We pull them in to the wash rack and start adding more and more technical jobs on them. System seems to work fine. See if you can get a kid out of TSTC or UTI. Go to the campus and get your name out there.
Having been in this business for the last 38 years it doesn`t surprise me at all. How many places did you guys work for years ago that had the attitude of "Mechanics are a dime a dozen, I can hire one any time I want." Talk about something coming back to haunt you !!! I have been trying to find someone to hire for near a year now and the results aren`t very good. I tried the want ads, Tried to hire ex military, that one was the worst by far. Told one guy I would start him at $4.00 to $5.00 over what he was currently getting paid. Never called me back. I wouldn`t blame anybody for not getting into this business. Everybody expects you to walk in with $50,000 in tools, yet they will hire an operator and all he needs is his dinner bucket.
I know where I am at we have a shortage of qualified hands that are willing to do the work. We have a lot of young guys who want the the big white tool box that you can drive from job to job but when the job requires a late night, weekends, or inclement weather you loose them. I've seen more guys leave the industry without someone there to replace them. There are some good ones moving into the trade but they are few and far between. I am curious if the trend will turn around.
Well that there is a big thing if the prospective employee is smart. Unless you only want someone who is looking for short term work, need to give them some reason to stay.
Sounds familiar. At one of our sister operations it was common knowledge for at least a year the only mechanic at that plant was planing on retiring. They waited till several weeks after he was gone to even start looking for a replacement. They have had an outside contractor working almost full time doing the mechanic work, even after they finally found someone. I'm sure this is the same thing that will happen in a couple years when I decide to head out the gate. PS: Don't think I'm saying anything against the outside contractor, they are a couple great guys who both worked for the local Cat Dealer before deciding to make a go of it on their own.
I never did understand why a mechanic is usually expected to have all his own tools. I can't think of many other jobs that are like that. Imagine if Dr's got hired on like that!
Yea, an equipment operator can be paid the same as a mechanic here and all he has to supply is his lunch and coffee! Goes home nice and clean and sits in a machine with A/C and heat. And they still b1tch about how they are working so hard to load the customers trucks.
I could wright a book on this subject. Tools are to easy to lose. The last place i worked was more welding than any thing. It was a new shop and they had a tool room that started out with alot of stuff but after 4 years most of it was gone. It was the managment fault more or less. They needed to have a better system. I went to automechanics votec school. There was a tool board that 3 guys shared and they would make the 3 guys pay for missing tools. Haveing tools is a biger deal than ever because todays mechanics have to have more than ever to do there job and to be fast you need so many special tools that cost big bucks. When i started out i was the guy that did the big jobs that took several days to do so i had more tools than most at that shop and i may have had 300.00 worth. That wouldnt buy the wax to wax most toolboxes today. So Where Are The Mechanics they are makeing the same money some were with out haveing to buy tools.
Try working in the environmental field. Long hours , low budget/high profit outfit and run ya into the ground. I started there as a field tech doing sampling and dismantling of gas stations. Became a Geoprobe operator, then started running jobs oh then the wrench quit!?!? So I would have to come in a 4 to help get the other 3 crews out the door, then get myself out the door. Then come back and have to fix crap that got destroyed during the day. Really frustrating making 5 dollars more an hour then a field tech but they don't get abused like I did, had no remorse or responsibilities. Best one was a laborer but diesel in a demo saw because it was slippery like 2 cycle gas. ***? But they never got dealt with. I got canned because some pecker wood that I worked with over heard a convo I had with a project manger. He ratted me to the boss and I got canned for insubordination. Good riddance
would this sister operation be in Kentucky??? iv got a buddy that is working in a shop with the same story there. he was a field mechanic & went to work for himself & he has been there everyday for awhile now...
A trend that I have noticed for at least 10 years or better is that many of the younger guys that should be anxious to learn, are lazy. It is tough to find a person that will work hard, let alone work hard and smart. Too many are looking for something that pays a lot, does not require showing up, and demand pampering. $300 for a "dumb phone" is nothing, while expecting someone to show up with a set of professional tools is getting to be out of the question. I am not sure of an answer, but I certainly see that attitudes need to change. If it was that easy, they would not call it work or pay you for it.
I don't have a problem buying tools. It makes it easier to find the next job if that is what needs to happen. When I first started in the trade the guy I worked for supplied the tools and then was able to hire anyone. It worked out good for him but when I left the company it was really hard to find a job as a mechanic without tools. No one took me seriously. I do agree that being an operator is easier than being a mechanic. But on the same note their job is not as secure because they are only bringing skills not much else. There is a lot of "stick-stirrers" out there so replacing one becomes easy. One thing I remember a friend saying to me when I started in the trade is the mechanic is the first one on and the last one off. He works when everybody else is at home. I have found that to be true.
My favorite grumble was employers that considered us to be a necessary EVIL, meaning "non productive" employees. Had one years ago tell me how much I "cost" him. I dragged up 2 hours later. Funny, hes my best contract customer now. Go figure.
Every time something Happen a mechanic is there trying to make it right agin. After the employer see the mechanic around the problem he begins to think the mechanic is part of the problem. Kind of like training a dog.
We have the same problem, finding mechanics. Fuel injection specialists are hard to come by. Its EASY WORK, indoors and climate controlled, about 65* during the summer months.. The problem is, MOST techs in this field are VERY comfy and don't want to go anywhere else..the pay is mid teens/hr to start and mid to hi 20's with experience.. Tool investment is VERY minimal!! a set of wrenches, metric and standard.. a socket set, standard and metric.. some screwdrivers and some pliers, oh, and don't forget the hammer.. and your hired!! 8-5 w/ 1hr lunch and 2 breaks in between.. uniforms payed.. 401k..medical insurance payed.. dental..eyes.. The average worker at my place has been there 20 years.. some have 35 years under their belt..the receptionist has 40 !! We even have a VOC training school 1 block away with a diesel class and STILL CANT get any mechanics.. I suggest, ANYONE with decent wrench turning skills, hit up your local fuel shop, they'll be happy to see you.. and its ALWAYS FUNNY to watch the old timers squirm..worried about their job..lol
Kentucky, no. So it's more wide spread than I thought huh? Management too many places just look at workers as items on a shelf. Just run down to Wally World and pick up a machinist, two mechanics and maybe a couple welders. No Problemo!
We used to have at least six mechanics working in the shop where I work. We would repair equipment from several of the company's locations in the area. New guy in upper management came in a decided we were a liability. Said if we made a mistake on a repair the company would have to eat the cost so it was better to hire an outside contractor that way if there was a failure on a repair job they could go after them. This guy also liked to refer the shop as a "cost center" as apposed to the quarries that were "profit centers". Now instead of having our own mechanics who could respond to a problem in a couple hours much of the time. We need to make a few phone calls to get permission to hire someone. Then start calling around to see who is available and if it is more than a simple repair maybe wait while we get three estimates on the repair. Then wait for approval from above to hire the lowest bidder, who everyone knows is always the best choice! This is a much better system for sure!
Well "If you had fixed it right last time it would not be broke now!":tong Doesn't matter if the last time you replaced the water pump on the engine and this time the lift cylinder is leaking, huh?:Banghead
That's the truth, machines don't break or wear out, the mechanic just rides around changing half the parts it needs so he has job security,***? Were a small company, two services trucks, small shop and try to do it all, major components, pms, welding , lineboring, a/c, hydraulics, elctrical, we buy what we need as we can afford it, service manuals , Cat ET. Ect. we never charged for overtime, weekends, or even an emergency repair, thats all changing now. Bent over backwards for big companys to homeowners alike. It can be a rewardless job at times, nobody looks down the road at maintance compared to longevity, and the cost of insurances, tools , fuel ect. Might be better to carry a lunch bucket and go home at five.
There are lots of "educated" fools out there who don't connect the dots between the "profit center" and the "cost center". You feel like saying, "OK bud I'm outta here. Good luck making your profit center work without the cost center to fix it." Managers are the same everywhere and good ones are the exception. Many good guys get full of themselves when they move up. The idea that good workers make good managers is also misplaced. Like one guy earlier in the thread said, take a hike, the work will still have to be done. Come back as a contractor and charge double. Sometimes they will even like you better. It is amazing. We have seen the same thing in my business and profession happen. it cycles. Management thought that you could go to the engineer store and get anybody you wanted anytime you needed them. Now they are hiring any warm body they can find that can say engineer let alone spell it. Sounds like you now have a perfect fix in outsourcing the repair work... just lovely. I know a guy back home that was an independent heavy equipment mechanic. He built a heavy shop truck out of a single axle long frame Pete. The thing is just awesome. Generator, welders, crane, tool house, compressor and all the normal stuff. He said he worked his butt off but regularly made about $200k a year several years ago. He is a dirt contractor rancher now.
Just to drag this out a little more. We have been on a NO OVERTIME! status for a couple years. We have a few guys who are good welders. When a loader bucket needs repair, can't shout it down during the normal work day. Can't bring one of our guys in on a Saturday at around $20+OT rate for $30. but no problem bringing in an outside guy and his kid to work on the bucket. Not sure what they charge but I doubt we get the two of them for $15 an hour each! When they are there 90% of the time one is working and the other is on cell phone about some other job.
I seem to be in a similar situation as kshansen. After spending money to buy tools and all, our shop doesn't want to advance us so they have to pay us more and I don't get near the work load I would like. And when we do work our butts off and come in on weekends and stay late to get jobs out we get griped at for having to charge overtime. One of the reasons I was looking into getting into pavers there is so I can work more overtime. I love long days, weekends, holidays, nights you name it. Am currently talking to a few independent guys in different areas of the country who seem to have more work and value their technicians more.
My two cents worth. An owner that is a skinflint is both greedy and foolish. There is a unique and strange relationship between all kinds of labor and the people they work for. Without the people there is no business and without the business there are no jobs. The profit and payroll balance is always being argued. Too much payroll and there is not a good reason for the owners to take the multitude of risks to operate the business. Too little payroll and the labor will find somewhere else to go or something else to do that pays better or they will perform poorly and the business will not be able to go on. The relationship is a constantly tipping scale. At the end of the day, the best one can do is to pay a competitive wage, keep well informed of the market conditions for labor, deal with people honestly and consistently, be generous in recognizing exceptional performance in times of plenty and deal out bad apples as quickly as possible so that the barrel is not spoiled. People should be paid, equipped and managed in such a way that their best performance is a deserved outcome with no excuses for failure to deliver that. If this is done, the owner has been first to meet his obligation and has no reason for doubt or reservation in replacing under performers and should not have any trouble replacing them. A business is not a full owner to labor partnership and it is not a philanthropy. It is a venture involving the application of private money to make more money. When it does not do this efficiently, profitably and reliably through the application of people and their skills and the organizational skills of the management the money will look for opportunity to grow some place else. Greed at any point in the transaction between ownership and labor will doom both to eventual failure. If labor expects to have the same reward as ownership labor should become an owner himself with all the risks and obligations that attend to ownership.
Well put Cherokee.. kshansen>> I feel your pain.. same thing at my shop.. except.. when "that" job comes in and HAS TO BE DONE and "only you can do it".. I tell them to take a flying ***k off a rolling doughnut.. I work from 8-5.. Why should I put myself out inorder to make them happy when they've been stickin' it up my arse for years.. [ Cherokees statement: labor will perform poorly ]
Nicely said Cherokee!
Wish this was printed on the door for all upper management people to see every morning! I have been with this same company through many mergers over the last 40+ years. For most of them we had upper management people who seemed to follow the above ideas. Problem is those people retired. Just in the last 10 years or so the management has taken the attitude that everything is a one way street. They act like they are doing us a favor by allowing us to work for them.
Yair . . . Quite seriously I believe that #27 post by cherokee101 is one of the most profound, insightful statements I have seen for some time and such gems are what makes this board such a special place. Cheers.
Just recalled a situation not from where I work. A friend worked for a local Redi-mix and excavating company. Boss/owner decided to be a nice guy and announced a "Profit Sharing Program". Everyone thought it work out good. Well there was a little catch, it was based on the balance on the books at the end of the year. Catch is late every year after starting the program owner would go out and buy enough equipment to reduce any profits to next to nothing. I know a company needs to keep equipment up to date to stay competitive but.....
So goes the saying to management. ..."poor planning on your behalf does not constitute an emergency on mine! "
kshanson> I had a very similar experience.. BIG company meeting.. "WE' made 7 million dollars this year, thank you all for your continued efforts in making this company profitable.. BUT with several set backs and the economy we're sorry to say there isn't any money for profit sharing this year!! The VERY NEXT DAY.. The 2 owners drive up in 60k pick up trucks w/ company logos on them.and use them for personal vehicals... I quit that week!! and told them why..
Ok I'm a mechanic and now I'm an operator why should I swing spanners when I can sit in on a machine and take home more money. Not to mention when on the tools I have to supply them myself last time I was in the snap on van I calculated all the tools i have bought over the last ten years it worked out to b $50000 in Australia that gets u the basics. It makes no sence why would I supplie all my own gear earn less money and then u get told to put a water pump on it u say its still gunna over heat because there are outher problems.no just put a water pump on. Ok I put the water pump on the next day ur getting yelled at because that eng is running hot go fix it they say just wave a magic wand they say ur up to ur arm pits in a gearbox on something else so u go get a radiator a thermostat some hoses the power flusher a radiator cap and a new hiviscus fan hub u fix the dam thing. Is it good they say yep it's good. Then u go back to the gear box it's 5 o'clock why isn't that gearbox finished wat have u been doing all day it has to b done 2 night they say. So ur in the shed till midnight with o extra money doing the gear box it's finished. A few days go buy then its who spent all that money on a cooling system were not made of money u know then that afternoon the cooling system job has a breakdown the diff center has carked it but the mechanic just looked at it and said it was good so ur in the poo again even thou it completely unrelated why oh why would I put my self through that even if I paied 20 percent more than what I make in the seat I still won't pick up a spanner. I would have to b hungry to consider it I would rather work at mac chucks !
PM sent
I had loads of this in my last life working for a Cat dealer. As an expat in S. America I was on a very nice package thank you very much. Good salary, loads of fringe benefits, apartment & utilities paid by the company, loads of travel all on the company dime, company vehicle & fuel for both business & personal use, 8 weeks/yr vacation - you get the idea. At the end of the day I know I cost the company plenty. Certain senior managers were always on at my boss (Tech Centre Manager) complaining about "how much Nige cost", and over the 9 years I was there it was a fair whack of money I can tell you. Fortunately for me he valued my services and he always kept an up-to-date file from January 1st every year of every dollar I'd been able to prise out of either the factory outside of normal warranty, known as Goodwill in the trade, or for every failure analysis I'd done that enabled the customer to be billed for repairs where they had originally claimed warranty from our Service Dept. Suffice it to say it generally ran into something like $2-3 million a year minimum. He'd wave that file under their nose with the words "Nige isn't a Cost Centre, he's a Profit Centre - now fcuk off and quit bothering us............" Despite that the subject came up pretty much towards the end of every year when company operating costs were approaching budget levels but we still had a couple of months until December 31st. Maybe that's why he sent me an e-mail not long back asking if I was willing to go back to a similar position I had previously and if so "what are your salary expectations?" ......
Last place I actually turned wrenches for a living, back in the stone age around 1990, the owner once told me "The shop never made me a dime, it's ajust a drain on the company". I responded by telling him that using that logic he should probably quit buying diesel. "But then the machines won't run!"..... pause..... Lasted two more years, but gave my notice that day, lol.
Well I've pretty much decided that this is my last year and have told my immediate supervisor that. He said he wished he had enough time in to retire himself! I know that last couple of mechanics who left other branches of the company did not have anyone in house ready to step in to take their place. I don't think it would be easy for someone new to just walk in an take over. Most all places in the company rely heavily on one guy knowing things with no real structure to how things are done. Like this winter while I was laid off and the had outside contractor come in and do a 500 hr service on a 980K. No one knew how to fill out the labels for the oil samples! Once I got back I had to contact the lab and have them make corrections to the information to get the reports back in the right format to have them show in the records for the machine. It just amazes me when I get asked where someone can find something as simple as a -08 JIC to 1/2 male pipe adapter. I really don't think anyone where I work would know what one looked like if someone asked them to get one. They just come to me and hand me something and say would we have anything like this?
I have written on this subject a few times in HEF. The problem is a mechanic must have knowledge and responsibility equivalent to any manager in a company and there compensation is more comparable to an operator! I would like some union guys to post in this thread. Do the union shops have harder times filling mechanic positions than operator positions? Is compensation comparable? From my selfish perspective as an independent field mechanic I am totally ok with lack of people coming into the business, every time I hear of people not being able to fill mechanic positions I raise my rates.....TIO
LOL, I like that Tio. Maybe I need to ask for a raise.
Best way to get a raise is to leave and work for some other outfit for a while, then offer to come back. Ain't nothin' proves your worth more than living without you for a while! Come to think of it, that's why I go out of town on business as often as possible, keeps my lady wanting me to come home, lol.
Not Kentucky, but I'm sure our company has operations there.
I have figured out where all the good mechanics are!!!!!! busy, busy, busy. LOL.....TIO
You got that right.. busy, busy.. I'v been running around the State working on everything from sailboats on the coast to tractors in the fields, 100's of miles from home.. since January.. I've seen parts of this State that I didn't even know existed.. and some SWEET fishin holes..
Interesting comments. Lot of rants, most likely justified. Now to the root of the problem. These young people today have had it drummed into their heads sense starting school that they want a nice job with high pay where they don't get dirty. In fact they are taught they are entitled to it. Teach a kid something for 12 years and they believe it. Especially if there is no test, well at least not until after they graduate HS. Some how this chain has to be broken. Only then will we start to find young people who believe that the way to get ahead is by dent of hard work. We had a kid here take networking. Nice inside job. He can't get a job. Seems the course instructor told him that he'd only have to work 8-5 5 days a week. Average person in that position has on call weekends and puts in about 50-60 hours a week. So he has refused every job he's been offered sense he graduated. Lot of people out there with that attitude. Heck talk to the folks out in ND in the oil patch. Pay is fantastic even without any experience. Guys go out there and figure out they actually have to WORK and quit. Rick
Us not-quite-so-old fogeys had that in our generation, too, just not so much of it. The difference is, the guys I graduated with who had that attitude soon learned that they had to work or starve. Nowadays, there are many ways to live pretty good without working.
Where are all the mechanics???? Well tonight I was way up the A$$of a cypress 7280 changing out the hydraulic swivel for the travel. Horrible, filthy, greasy, dirty piece of doggy do do. Oil dripping on me all night, just got soaked. Opened the eyes of the young apprentice I have working with me. Yup, you have to work for your money tonight LOL. He is a good lad, I think that I can turn him into a decent wrench. He is not afraid of working, he didn't like the job tonight, but he got right into it. By the end of the night he was just as greasy and black as I was. Yup, a few more years and I will have another one ready. rofessor
When I got out of school computers were new, we were told to be computer techs,doctors or lawyers, we had good shop classes 9 and 10th grade,mandatory boys and girls took, welding,machine shop with lathes and mills, wood working with saws and stain.small engine rebuilding with go cart testing around the ball field. My kids graduated from a school they taught shop from a book, not a grinder in the school, welder nope. Blue collar built this country, who gonna keep it going, we gonna call China for repair guys. Call someone to fix your computer, knocking on your door in 30 minutes, call a plumber, couple hours, want to get an addition by a skilled carpenter ,maybe a year, sorry to ramble. Gotta go get my blood pressure meds now. Overworked
I'm 22 and am a road tech for a Deere dealer. I completely agree with everyone that management does not appreciate good mechanics. Work 80+ hours a week yet they wonder why I can't get everything done. I've quit 3 times already, yet they call a less then week later wondering when I'm coming back. Still paid less then local cat and komatsu shop mechanics, I know I've looked around. But yet I go back every time. Just venting.
[Cat Mechanic]Come over to the dark side, we have cookies...[/Cat Mechanic]
I went into my ford dealer who handles a lot of local diesel truck service, asking for a set of head gaskets for 6.0 diesel. He asked who was doing my work, and I said I am. He offered me a job on the spot. Major dealer had a single diesel mechanic. I declined, it's not something I want to do for a living and I have a good job already. Every time I go in, the guy is near begging me to come work, offering me nights, weekends, etc. I couldn't believe they had that many issues finding guys. He said it was because I'm on the smaller size, he gets those big guys that can't get up onto and into the engine bays.
X2 on the Ford dealerships.. they have work for YEARS to come.. someone with a "good back" could make a fortune working on 6.0.. and EVERY job is atleast an 8hr job.. The guy at my work place gets offered side work on a DAILY BASIS.. he was once offered 2000.00 to do an injector swap, on the side, and wouldn't take it.. I asked him WHY?? He said, I don't like workin on them HERE.. why would I take one home and work on it..
We have a TON of ford diesels in the area, all township and police are ford diesel, and lots of contractors and such. There is a shop just up the road from ford that works on ford trucks exclusively. They've got 2 guys and it's round hte clock work. Most jobs on the trucks are easily 8hr. Hell even brake job is 3+hr because they over salt in the area in the winter and it makes the undersides a mess. And injectors... They're inside the engine on the 6.0. Each injector is $140, so even though you are going into the engine and want to replace them all, it's just to damned expensive. For simple but ****** jobs I go to the local mechanics, because they charge fair rates, and sometimes it's just not worth the pain in the ass doing myself, especially if it's easier on a lift. That being said, I'd rather be in the engine bay of a ford truck than just about any car on the road.
I know what you mean.. Its hard to get the customer to understand that you have to open the engine up anyway.. might as well change All the injectors on that side..
A friend is the service manager for a local dealership and he needs technicians. Due to insurance regulations new hires must pass drug screening, background checks and come to work on time every day. He said he processes about 6-10 prospects a week and cannot find people to fill the positions. Customer work is backing up even at the dealership.
Well for the young guy's starting out......Outfits may be like this.... or you run into situations like this.... Ask you to stay over time to help them out then get ready pissed when your an hour late. Playing beat the clock. ......" it's gotta roll by 3" They disregard safety to save man hours or buying stuff. They see you working really fast and expect you to be Super man Every day. ....
I live in NW Louisiana and have been considering becoming a diesel mechanic. Any thoughts on it? Is it a good career? Is the pay decent? I'm a dump truck driver and it's decent money but just not a career. I have no experience in diesel mechanics and wondering how a guy like me could get started.
Some shops will train you, but it really helps to have a firm grasp of the primary components and some mechanical ability. There's two different types of diesel mechanics, large and regular. Large 4-6 cylinder 13liter volvo truck diesels, sometimes you're on the road to do a top end rebuild on the side of a highway. Pay typically reflects it. Regular trucks like ford/chevy/dodge diesels, especially the newer ones, can be a bear to work on. So many parts.
Would the many dealerships in my area train me? Without any experience?
It's possible, but you have to sell them on it. You might start in parts, mechanics will come to you for stuff and it will familiarize you, then work up from there. You are a piece of meat and you have to convince them they're carnivores. They have to believe you are able to be taught to take the time to try to train you.
Look around for a small trucking or construction company that needs an additional mechanic. Pay won't be as good but you wont be expected to know everything and won't be expected to have 30k worth of tools. Be willing to learn and keep a good attitude when your greasy up to your armpits and you'll be fine.
Instead of getting a tool allowance ask them for a List of the things they want you to bring in as far as tools go....and they supply Everything else. ...no Really. Have them hand it to you in writing and don't take the tool allowance. Drop light creeper batteries tooling is not on there. ...guess what?
Look at Cat's Think Big program, or John Deere has a similar program. Hired by the dealership, you go to school, and in between semesters they work you in the shop and pay you. You gain experience and learn a lot. While it's oriented towards recent high school graduates older folks can get in, I'm 26 and just started the Think Big program myself. http://www.caterpillar.com/en/caree...n/thinkbig-technicianeducation/locations.html
That's a hell of an idea, wish I had thought of that, back when I did turn wrenches for a paycheck. :notworthy
The reason good mechanics are "hard to find" is the payscale. Pay em what they're worth and you'll find plenty. A cheap mechanic that makes a mistake and costs you a $37,000 drive motor by getting dirt in a hose wasn't really worth that low wage now, was He?
I can remember being asked why I "was spending so much time cleaning things, they're just going to get dirty again?" And just this last December I pointed out to my boss that every wiper on the hyd. cylinders of our John Deere 710 back hoe was literally falling apart. Got the we'll get to it later. Well I'm going to be retired the end of April and there is no one else doing maintenance or repairs at the quarry other than me getting some help a couple days out of the last year so we all know those cylinders will be fixed, Right?
kshansen, No they won't get fixed, and the dirt will eat the glands, and the $400 repair will be $1800 (each)
I was looking at a local paper a few weeks back. A local garbage dump owned by one of the national garbage companies was advertising for a heavy equipment mechanic with a minimum 6 years experience pay $21/hr plus beni's. In the same add they were looking for an experienced heavy equipment operator pay $24/hr plus beni's. My experience tells me they will get more than a dozen operator applications and probably zero mechanic applications! A company i worked (subbed) for last year advertised for 6 operators and got endless applications at a pay of mid $20's and 1 heavy equipment mechanic at mid $20's and got 2 applications. The first guy was hired and had enough experience to grease the equipment and change some filters. He quit after a few weeks, the next guy was capable of the same job. They were gracious laborers for me as i did all diagnostics and most all equipment repairs. The mechanics in this region will need to be paid in the mid 30's plus beni's to find qualified guys........TIO
Do you guys think that this will even matter to this company? I have seen this happen so much that i think they need to waste money to stay in buissness.
And that's just the damage to the cylinders, how about the cost of the hydraulic pump? They are much more worried about man hours than dollars. It's okay to pay $1,000 for a pump I could have bought for $500, but ask to work a few hours OT and they scream!
Waste Management was advertising mechanic positions in this area with a $1500 sign on bonus. I have no idea on the official pay scale, but Google says WM mechanics earn around $20/hr. Climbing around under nasty ass garbage trucks all day is going to have to come with a lot more than a $1500 bonus and that price. Right now I work on the occasional landfill machine, but to deal with that nastiness every day, it's going to have to be a lot more attractive paywise and/or my last option.
I know the ex shop foreman for WM & he wasn't making that kind of money a hour that's why he left the Louisville shop!!!
It may be one of those places were they say you can work your way up to 20.00 but you never do. The WM trucks i have seen around here are ruff looking and only get washed by the rain.
I started wrenching for a major waste company in the northeast, not wm. think they started me at 13/hr. worked for two and a half years and left in 2012 making 14.50. certainly wasn't getting rich but the perks were decent. Good insurance, $1000/yr tool allowance, boot allowance, quarterly safety and production bonuses, end of year bonuses, got to make my own hours, could bring my dog to work, they didn't care if I did side work, and the boss was in an office about a quarter mile away and he didn't visit regularly. I left to work for a stealership and get more experience and better pay. the other mechanic has about 10 years there now and he told me he's only making $15.50 an hour. they have a policy of giving 2% raises every year and wonder why they cant keep employees. The job was good, the pay was a joke.
Just like every other job in America...work your ass off for little pay!
I am a Truck/Equipment Mechanic for my county's highway department. When I started, it took 2 1/2 years to get to the top of the pay scale. Shortly after I started, the pay scale was restructured so that it now takes 10 years to get to the top of the pay scale (same pay range, only more small pay increase steps). In our shop, we usually have a laborer come in every day to assist with minor tasks, parts chasing, oil changes, tire repairs, etc. It's always a laborer who is already at the top of the pay scale. This being said, a laborer doing oil changes makes around $3.00 more than me per hour only because he has the "years of service" under his belt!! This really pisses me off, but the Highway Commisioner says he can't do anything to correct this. Pay the MECHANIC more money than the lube tech!!! Time to look for another employer!!
RLU- WOW that's criminal. WRONG WRONG WRONG. I hope this unjust situation gets addressed at a higher level.
Yea, perhaps I should talk to HR about it. I really like my workplace, and don't really want to relocate. However, I can't be taken advantage of...
HR will probably whine and want to know how you found out the lube dude is making more money I can tell you that one of the factors in pushing me to leave the last job was a similar situation, and yes, it was a .gov job that I left.
Screw HR............what's wrong is just wrong and should be corrected.
Well, I interviewed at a neighboring county's fleet repair department. They are looking for a Heavy Truck/Equipment Mechanic. They had a lot of advantages like company provided uniforms and tools, a newer fleet, cleaner shop, parts counter clerk, and more. They ended up offering me the job with a starting pay at almost $4.00/hr more than I am currently making! Biggest downside is that it took me an hour to get there from my house (will be longer during rush hour). The distance is to far in my opinion, even tho I really liked the facility and staff. I think it is crazy that they offered me almost $4.00/hr. more than I make now, and my current employer won't even try and offer me more money to try and keep me. I may have to go back to a job in the private sector.
I know the feeling,I spent 30 years as a heavy equipment and truck mechanic for small contractors. I saw operators make good money and I was'nt making the same wage. I finally took a job as maintenance in a manufacturing plant for better money, but I do miss yellow iron, it gets to be part of you. But my family comes first and that's why I am where I am now. I still do some side jobs to keep in touch with the past, like I say it gets in you!
Sometimes being a Mechanic is more of a Sport than say like a hobby or occupation.
I know where this one was, last night on a fire installing track adjuster seals. Started at 7:30pm left at 10 pm. It was dark for most of the project so just a before photo. Customer said to expect a bonus!!!TIO
Just say Mechanic and Poof...one appears Wish it was always that easy!
It is that easy....now a good mechanic is a whole 'nuther situation!
"Back Off! I'm a Hammer Mechanic! " They love that one Trax Seen Brazenly sprinting across the job site. ...gas ax in one hand sledgehammer in the other. ... wearing nothing but a dew rag and a smile. ... and a loincloth and some jungle boots. ... wait. ....he seems to be hollering something? .....conStruction?
I struggle to understand some of the comments as in the U.K. things are somewhat different, if you are working for a good outfit on Muck Shift of Demolition as a Mechanic, no driver on anything including a Flying Carpet would earn better coins than I could make, even on Pile Driving sites I would always make the good Coins, sometimes you need a few machines stripped out a good bit to make your worth of note, I have never worked on a site that a driver made more money than myself, if they did I would have been up in the pilot seat fast. tctractors
Seems Mechinics over there get more respect around here they act like their disposable. Most drivers here make more than most of the mechanics.
Move to Texas where we get paid the big bucks! (consider though it's 105 degrees outside today)
Yep. 105 is just getting started. Find a good place that takes care of you and you'll stick with it. I was an oilfield brat. Been work on pipelines and farms since I was big enough to. Kind of fell into the mechanic thing. Even in the army. I was a grunt/mortar man. My platoon sergeant knew my back ground. Every time something broke id hear "Shade Tree" yelled across the site. Now at 16 years today with a dealership, I'm in a pretty good spot. Might be turning in my truck for an office/shop bay but it's been fun. I still learn every day and that is what makes it interesting. Good pay and benefits make it an easy decision to stay right where I'm at. Respect is a big thing too. My company,boss, management know and see what I do and are always complimentary. I have offers from all over inside and out of the company to move. Makes a fellow feel good to be wanted.
Yes it does
Where I worked for years felt respect from everyone from immediate supervisor to company president. Then there was a change in the company management and everything changed. Now instead of trying to improve the equipment maintenance every year it is lets see how much we can cut back on repairs every year. And they decided that doing any major repairs with our people was a liability. Better to let some fly-by-night outfit do the job then when there is a failure fight with them to redo it over again. Upper management looks at having a shop and mechanics of our own as only an expense, not as a way to have trained people with first hand knowledge of the equipment available the drop of a hat. And training used to be where about half the mechanics in the shop each year would go to at least one week long class put on by a major company like Cat. Mack, or Cummins. Now the only training in the last 12-15 years has been at the most a one day seminar that is more of a sales meeting for one of the local dealers. Not that there has been any changes in technology related to heavy equipment in the last 15 years! If we still had the management team in place or one with the same attitude as those from 15-20 years ago I would have had a hard time pulling the plug and retiring like I did in April, that was not a problem with what's there now. Plus the pay and benefits if anything have slowly eroded from where they were years back. If you took the starting pay I was making as a ground man shoveling spillage under conveyors back in 1968 when I started there and converted it to 2014 dollars I would be making about five dollars less than I was the day I retired. That's after 45 years of experience pulling wrenches for the company. Guess my point is. if there is one, is enjoy the good times while they last as all it takes is one change in a management position the other side of the country or across the world to take what is a great place to work and turn it into a JOB! We went from a company where the president of our section of the company would stop by several times a year and shake you hand and show interest in what was happening in the shop to one where a Lincoln with tinted windows would at the most pull into the shop every couple years with windows rolled up sit there for a few seconds then leave.
Yep... I worked for an excavation company back in the late eighties when they were just getting started, grew with them for a few years. One of the owners sold out to the other at one point. A while later the remaining chief is sitting on a tailgate with me as we discuss repairs on a machine. He looks up, says straight on "Don, the shop never made me a dime, it's just a drain on the company". I pondered that for half a second and told him he might as well quit buying diesel it amounted to the same thing. Gave my notice on the spot but I lasted another year or so before we both couldn't stand it anymore.
So many times I have heard this, still hearing it. Yet when a production machine goes down, who is out there till the wee hours of the night making it run so that they can "PRODUCE" another day. Boy, did that hit a nerve or what:spaz
Also as we were very familiar with quarries all across the state we knew who had what hid out behind their barn for that time you needed something to pull the "rabbit out of your hat save" at a critical time. Also we had a good handle on what components tended to fail and we tried to have simple things like starters and generator/alternators on hand so when we go the call we could walk out to the shelf and grab one or maybe couple different ones in case some one was wrong on what style might be needed. No need to call parts department at dealer and hope they knew what you wanted and they had it on shelf. Then maybe drive an hour out of the way to pick it up. Now if something more than a simple component on a machine goes down need to call and get estimates from three places then pass this on to two or more layers of management people then wait for they to decide if or what will be done and by who. Then they get upset when the lowest bidder says it will be a week or so before they can get out there to start the job. Then come to find out the bid was nice and low on the 3408 in the 769C because they did a "major rebuild" on the engine and did not rebuild or exchange the starter, alternator or even touch the fuel injection pump. They said if there was a power problem it would not be that bad to pull the pump and go through it later. But of course once truck is back together and production is started for the season no one wants to shut down the truck that just had a overhauled engine to tear it apart a second time So now we are stuck with a under powered truck for years! Me bitter? NOOOOO!
Taking Another ride on a Ship of Fools!
:"Let's take a stroll thru the shop while we talk!"
Well Fella's, my time has come. Customer called me out of the blue last week. Offered a little over what I make now on salary + production bonus + truck. Not a field truck which I have now but, a 4 door pick up. I have to bust my butt now and do 70 hours a week to make what I do now. I passed at first. Waited 45 minutes and called back. Great company. Great guy I will answer too. Figured it is time to move into a better job. Will be a field service supervisor and maybe if I have time turn a wrench or two. Lot of phone and driving time. There will be a huge void when I leave. I have tried to reach out to other departments to get somebody to fill my spot. They are short on mechanics as well. My hardest part was telling my crew. I run two separate departments shop and field. My guys will survive but will not have the goto that they have now. I am excited to move on to different role. I haven't burned any bridges and I WON'T get rid of my tools. Wish me luck.
Good luck. Going to the oil field?
Good luck! While I may sound very negative about the place I retired from back in April. I have kept on good terms with the local boss and the guy who got thrown in to take up the maintenance work for the quarry. May be once a month I get a call or text asking "Is there a parts book for such and such?" or "I know you had caps to plug off fittings when you pulled a hose, where are they?" Then there was the time a week or so back. I was at the local NAPA dealer we had dealt with for many years. The owner of several stores was there, who I only slightly know, well he says to me: "Come to my office and we will talk" The manager of the store says: "Not him, but that guy" Pointing to another much younger guy at the counter. Seems that guy was applying for a job. The manager then says to me: "I would not even ask you to fill out an application!" He has offered me a job at least half the times I stopped in since retiring! Depending on how finances go he may talk me into it someday, if I get bored!
kshansen,I stopped driving last July. I get calls from ex boss and will go but check weather forecast first. My way of thinking is you called me,I was not looking.Now you are in control and whenever possible use the barter system. If you are owed 8 hrs pay,get boss to buy new tires for wife's car or pay your fuel bill for a month. Just to bypass taxes.
caterpillarmech, Good luck to you, enjoy it, you've earned it!
Thanks everyone. It will be a construction company. 600 employees. 500 pieces of equipment. Will let ya'll know soon. New boss text last Monday. "What color truck do you want?" Guys like us don't get asked questions like that. We are told. What a refreshing change of pace. I seem to have gone up on the respect chain since turning in my notice. Odd isn't it. One more week to go trying real hard to not get short timer attitude. Will finish cleaning out my service truck tomorrow. I'll still be here gents. Machines are in my blood.
LOL, I was never so loved as I was after I was laid off from the CAT dealer in one of the downturns. I heard through the grapevine that several mechanics were dismayed at my departure.... I was thereafter known as "That miserable SOB that always got me the right Sh*t!" to those boys. So, what color did you pick? All I got was six months unenjoyment.....
He said white or silver? Give me the silver one! I've had seven white ones. Figured the silver wouldn't look like as much as a work truck. Met his Tuesday after work. /was told truck was at the shop getting bed liner sprayed in. Then it gets the tool box and diesel tank. Will post it up next week.
caterpillarmech GOOD LUCK with the new adventure.. you are right on the don't burn any bridges that you may have to cross again!!
good luck with the new adventure you have the right idea on the don't burn any bridges that you may have to cross again!!
Good Luck! You are one of the best I have ever known. If you get around Leander look Me and Michael up! He left there and has gone back to school and works here part time now!
Well fellas, it has been an interesting week. Boss took it easy on me. Monday I get thrown to the wolves. Trial by fire! It will be nice dealing with one company. All of the guys are great, good nature'd and always have a story. It is quite a shock coming from the cooperate structure. I will have three Caterpillar trucks, two John Deere trucks, three independent trucks, and my own welder, mechanic and a parts runner. Monday will be head down and back in the game. Oh, and here is the new ride! Not too shabby!
Got to post a pic of my last one. Barely made 25,000 miles on it. The new one has a bit more get up and go for some reason.
Half the mechanics i know are older and or busted up to where some of their parts don't work as well as they once did. But they still work hard and do a good job.
Bump
This is my first post, but thought I would chime in as this is a very interesting topic to me. The repair industry is in the same boat as other industries like manufacturing and farming. We can simply get more done with far fewer people. 30 years ago, every town bigger than 2500 people had a transmission shop, usually more than one. Rebuilding your cars automatic transmission was something you could count on doing multiple times in the life of the average car. Same thing with engines. If you put 100,000 miles on an engine, it needed to be rebuilt. Today, things are much different. Cars routinely go 200,000 miles without even changing the spark plugs. The odd transmission or motor that does fail will just be swapped for a remanufactured unit that was rebuilt in a large factory in an assembly line style. I would be amazed if the average auto dealer mechanic ever does any kind of engine work more complicated than changing a head gasket, and there is likely only one or two guys in the shop who can handle that task. It's essentially the same thing in the world of heavy equipment. 30 years ago, if you got 10,000 hours out of a diesel engine you considered yourself pretty lucky. You would take it down to the local dealer or machine shop and have it rebuilt. Today, we can get 25,000 hours with a few valve adjustments and maybe and injector or two. When the motor does fail, everyone today is in such a hurry that they can't wait 2 weeks for their motor to be rebuilt. They will swap in a reman unit for roughly the same price and be up and running a little sooner. I know the local Bobcat dealer and the local Kubota dealer don't have anyone on staff who can do internal work on an engine. They all just swap them. In this way, being a mechanic has gone from diagnosing, disassembling, ordering parts, and rebuilding to just changing out components. IMO, it's a real dumbing down of the trade. 10 years ago I worked in a truck repair shop. We did in-frame engine rebuilds and transmission and power divider rebuilds in house. But, we never worked on heads, we just bought reman heads for every engine we rebuilt. There was not a single guy in the shop who knew how to install a valve seat or run a valve grinder. Once in a while we would replace cam bearings. If an engine spun a main bearing, we just swapped it with a reman. In that 6 man shop, there were only 2 guys who ever did any engine work. So, manufacturers have made great strides in reliability meaning we need less mechanics. The move is toward swapping components for reman units meaning the mechanics we have need less skills. The result is that mechanics are feeling their wages being squeezed. The old guys who can do component level repairs are left working on older equipment that is not supported by the reman industry. The problem there is that folks aren't willing to spend as much money on that old equipment. That leaves mechanics in a tough spot. It's hard to negotiate higher wages when the industry is making it possible for lower skilled guys to get the job done. There will always be a place for the highly skilled (and highly paid) guys, but we will need fewer and fewer of them to keep the wheels turning.
Wes J, You have presented some very good thoughts on this subject but I think I must disagree or at least provide a rebuttal. 1st paragraph: we do get more done with fewer people however there is way, way more getting done than 30 years ago. Cars/pick ups are going twice as far but again there are way more than twice as many and there are way more guys in construction traveling 50 miles each way to work every day. Paragraph 2: I can only speak to heavy equipment repair in this case. I just did a tranny in a D8R zero remand were available in the cat system, Morton would have to build one. Last cat grader I did an engine in; no 3306 long blocks available from cat. Last John Deere 6 liter motor I rebuilt none were available from Deere. The cat engine was at 14,000 hours, D8 trans at 8700 hours, Deere engine was at 7000 hours. Paragraph 5: people would still love to be able to balance the talent in their shop like this. That is the point of this thread. Paragraph 6: manufacturers have made great strides in reliability, however equipment is exponentially more complicated, wiring harnesses diagrams are 10 plus pages not one easy to read page. Machines have been built with emphasis on getting more done with less everything, easier to operate, less emissions etc.... I can't speak to wages. I believe I get compensated correctly for my efforts. People on here looking to hire guys I don't think are cheaper guys!!!!! HMO!!!!TIO
The examples you give seem to reinforce what I am saying. A D8 size machine is pretty large. I don't know how many were made, but to me it's a pretty low volume machine. I'm not surprised that there were no reman parts for it. The 3306 motor is getting pretty long in the tooth. I don't think they made any that weren't natural gas fueled for at least 20 years. If it was a C7, you could swap it with a reman from dozens of sources. I don't know about the Deere. I know you can buy reman engines for 50 year old Deere farm tractors. Maybe I'm a little over dramatic, but I still see it as a concentration of a few really skilled guys who make a good living and a slug of low skilled guys plodding along. That's kind of the tempo of the current US economy. I work in manufacturing (CNC machining) and it's the same in our industry.
The learning curve is ever steeper, with more and more specialization. I started about the time electronic ignition came in on car engines, everything was till carbureted. Diesels maybe had a solenoid to shut the fuel off, lol. When I moved over to the other side of the parts counter the attitude was (and mostly still is) that the three P's applied, if you had a Pencil and a Pulse, you were a Parts man. All you had to do was look in the book, write down part numbers and then go grab them off the shelf. It's a whole different world now. Consider that in the parts department the number of models to deal with is expanding every year, the parts books and ordering systems are mostly online, and the major manufacturers have promoted the customer's use of online parts lookup and ordering. Today's parts techs fall into two categories "Give me the part number and I will type it in" and a very few smart and experienced people that are essentially tech support for everybody else including their fellow employees. Add to that the fact that all the software keeps changing and you have a never ending learning curve. Same thing for mechanics, with each model year you get new and different emissions equipment, new and weird systems and designs, updates, fixes, plastic controls, some engineer's wet dream being tested by the customers. It ain't pretty, but if you're good there's opportunity out there.
Wes J. Great first post. I have to agree with many of your points. I am at the end of my career, only have a few more years left and then I will close up my tool box and fade away and let the next generation of mechanics take over. They will have their issues just like we did. Some of the old guys that I worked with years ago had time on steam engines. I wonder what they would think if they saw these new DD16 engines we run in our trucks now. Hard to even tell it is an engine with all the plastic and wires on it. But we progress. When I have to work on one of the new things that you need to plug a computer into, I call one of the young fellows over. 1, because they are better at it than me and 2, because I want them to learn it, this is their time. Where will the trade be in another 20 years? I have no idea. I just know that I am really looking forward to retirement. I have a few friends that I will continue to help keep their old logging machines running, but it will be mostly in an advisory position, and hopefully their guys will be able to get it figured out.
Wes J, I also want to second wornout wrench, very good first post. I am currently spending lots of hours at a place that employs 300-400 people. I am there because mechanics are not available to hire. Last week they hired an 18 year old to start training to be a mechanic, basically they are trying everything to fill their shortage of at least 4 mechanics. The local cat dealer which has stored in California Oregon and Washington have posted 40 technician openings! This is the crisis this thread is trying to deal with. This crisis is only going to get worse as machine technology increases and the workforce ages.....TIO
All you really have to do is raise the wages and status of the mechanics to get folks back into the field.
Maybe I need to get back into the repair business. Manufacturing is dead in this area, so I have nowhere to go but up. For what it's worth, I never knew how bad being a mechanic could be until I started working part time at a used car dealer my last year of college. That's when I learned about "Mitchell" and the flat rate system. I couldn't believe that someone had boiled down almost every possible repair on almost every possible vehicle to a "by the book" procedure. It didn't matter if all bolts broke off in the block when you tried to change a water pump, if the book said 1.5 hours, you got paid for 1.5 hours. I work on vehicles that I own, but I would never again work on cars for hire. Everything is cramped and hard to access. The pay is terrible. Lots of things are not even serviceable and were never meant to be fixed (I suppose they were never meant to break either). Working on trucks was more fun. The salt and rust was a challenge, but at least it was all indoors.
Hetkind, I totally agree with this statement. However it would take nearly ten years to see the effects, but better late than never. As I age and become more confident in my business management skills I think more about hiring mechanics in my business, I will use the business model to pay the best which in turn I will have to charge the most. As I try to do now I will provide the best service to the best customers.....TIO
I never had the "pleasure" of working flat rate. But from talking to some poor souls who did one of the worst things was to get service writer pi$$ed at you. If you did every time some old rust bucket came in the door your name would be on it. The other side of the story is the poor customer. If a job comes in wrote up as needing a head gasket but the "mechanic" sees that it is only a valve cover gasket two guesses at what is actually done? Either the head gasket gets replaced even if it wasn't leaking or the valve cover gasket that was the problem gets replaced but "mechanic" turns it in as a head gasket job while pretending to work on car for the flat rate books time and just replaces the valve cover gasket. These are just tow of the scams that flat rate feed.
This sounds like a good theory but it has failed miserably in my region. Particularly in the field mechanic sector. Alot of younger guys have been lured in by good pay. But when they figure out that it's actual work, and it's actually out in all kinds of weather, they just walk away. We also have a great shortage of skilled workers in my region which compounds the problem. Luckily I'm passionate about heavy equipment and being outside so it's a perfect match for me. And I'm also fortunate enough to have 2 very good hired men that are equally dedicated to the trade. I'm currently on an advisory committee at our local tech school where they're starting a heavy equipment tech program. And the more we've studied the issue the more complicated it gets. However, it always seems to come back to the same issues. - society in general has pushed for college and white collar jobs, which is fine but obviously not everyone can do that. - Many corporate run companies have turned employees into "numbers" and squashed employees desire to excel or take pride in what they do. Along with hiring "educated" upper management as leaders that end up causing even more division. - pride in what you do and desire to produce quality has taken a back seat to the bottom line. Good pay is a must but good working environment, good equipment, good benefits, AND rewards for quality work is a good start.
I did just that back in April! Back when I started one of the "old Guys" talked about the mules they used to haul stone to the crusher, yes the four legged big eared kind! And talk about complicated things, if you ever have the chance to look at a 966C Cat then walk over to a 980K It will scare you, or at least it does me. Not to mention the difference between a 74TD R-35 Euclid and even an "old" 769D Cat truck. That 769D looks ancient next to the 773G they got a couple years back!
And then there's the testing issue... talked to one outfit, had over a hundred applicants for a mechanic position, only about half showed up to pee in the jar, about seven passed the test. They ended up not hiring any of them, due to background checks, bad references, no experience. It's tough out there.
yes, good pay and HIGH status...good pay alone with terrible management won't do it. The status aspect is more of a motivator that just a few extra bucks an hour. And much value can be added to the process by giving the mechanic respect, decision making and status in the organization. Well equiped shops and trucks plus top quality uniforms go a long way in elevating the worker. Howard
One of the other problems feeding the lack of skilled help is the length of the great recession. From about 2008 to 2015 there was little opportunity for young people to enter the industry. When work slowed down, only the experienced help was retained, so most who entered the business after say 2003 were let go. Many of the older hands retired, while many with skills retrained and got out of the business. That leaves a gap of young people moving up and learning as they go to the point we are at now where many of the skilled people that stuck it out are retiring soon, and there is no ready replacement for them. Those hired recently since work has started building again are not ready to replace those who are retiring, and with the new workload we need to not only replace them, but add to the ranks. It leaves a pretty bad situation, and those with the skill and work ethic will be in higher and higher demand, while operating costs will rise due to the lack of skilled service personnel.
That is a great point. Guys my age (I'm 31) are kind of a lost generation. We were told to study and go to college and were promised great jobs when we graduated. We did our part, but those job weren't there any more when we were ready for them. I graduated in 2007 and that year I thought I had the world by the tail. I had no idea the storm that was brewing. Soon came layoffs and pay cuts and IMO general stagnation for young people in the workforce. I don't think we will succeed in turning all those English and Psychology majors into diesel mechanics. However, I'd think we would do well to send fewer down the 4 year path. I am convinced we are headed back into a recession. So, it's unlikely that this problem will be remedied any time soon. Though, with low commodity prices, it will be hard to justify replacing old equipment, so we may need more mechanics than ever. I don't know what to say about the drug situation. My dad took a tour at the John Deere harvester works a few years ago and they said they could hire 80 welders on the spot. They could not find enough who could pass the test.
^^^Exactly^^^ I'll be 31 in 2 months and you pretty much summed up my thoughts as well.
32 now, I'm ex military so slightly ahead of the game but essentially in the same boat.
This problem is nothing new. Back in the mid-sixties when I was a teen in junior high the area schools got together and formed BOCES which is basically a trade school. When I heard they were going to have classes in mechanics I tried to sign up. Well I got shot down by the "guidance counselor" she said I was not right for that school as I was "college material". I was just your average "B" student who actually failed 11th grade math due to lack of effort. Well the day after high school graduation I was working in the quarry summers and after 1 1/2 years in community college there was an opening in the new shop the company that owned the quarry was just starting. 45 years later I retired from that shop. Unfortunately due to those "educated" upper management types the shop was fazed out and I was the only one left doing the service and repairs for the local quarry. And the younger guy who ended up taking over my duties, a good farm mechanic, was given all of two weeks to work with me to "learn the ropes" and even at that he was told he "might" get the job as they needed to advertise the job and "post" it on the chance someone else was available or better qualified! That's the kind of "management" I'm sure way too many people have to deal with, need a dozen 1/2 fine thread nuts call the hardware store and you have them in five minutes, need a mechanic just go down the the nearest steer corner and grab the first guy you find stick a hammer in one had and a pair of pliers in the other and you're all set! Training, hey I think there is a book somewhere in the shop, Oh! and we need that machine before noon.
I was reading somewhere here and other places that the shortage of truck drivers will soon be epidemic! Also the shortage of Craftsman Tradesman is close behind! One of the problems with management is the human resource department. And I do realize their hands are tied to a certain extent. The shortage of drivers would be a Very simple fix compared to the shortage of Craftsmen or Mechanics. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in ten years. The people turning the wrenches now are fed up and about used up.
That's why they're building trucks that drive themselves. At first of course there will be a driver in the cab, to monitor the truck and take care of city driving and the tedious part at each end of a run backing in to the dock or whatever, but it won't be long after that you will be driving the interstates alongside autonomous vehicles. Serious, Freightliner is testing self-driving trucks in Nevada as we speak, it's kind of a cruise control on steroids at the moment. I always enjoyed driving truck, I did mostly lowboy with some end spill, belly dump, and a few months on a long haul transfer dump, but the over the road stuff is horrible now. They changed the hours of service to supposedly make it safer but in truth the industry got a better deal than the drivers. When you break it all down the pay sucks and you're away from home 90% of the time. The lease to own deal (are they still doing that?) is a sucker bet, if you manage to run hard enough and long enough to get to the end, the truck will fall apart the day after it's paid for. No thanks.
I don't know, I think the industry was hurt as well. Lost productivity from the equipment, the need for more units to haul the same amount of freight because now a driver spends at least 10 hours in a truck stop, and more with the 14 hour rule. The difficulty in finding a place to park is ever increasing with a legal load, let alone a wide and/or long load. I am all for safety, but I believe I could argue a pretty good case that the current hours of service rules can cause sleep related accidents in many circumstances. The manufacturers and truck stops should do well though. Sorry, got a bit off track of the thread theme there.
the driver shortage the government just brings in more foreigners and give them cdls that's what there fdoing around here
Doing Fleet repair on "Long Trucks"is very Hard Work. ....Low Pay and you're treated like dirt. But Great pay for drivers and they Kiss their Arses. To do Fleet work in the USA most companies require a CDL ( to pull the truck in the door ) So if you have your CDL Why buy all those tools and sign up for abuse and Half the yearly pay a (foreign? ) driver makes?
Have you worked as an over the road truck driver? Many of these outfit expect you to drive 11 hours every day and stay out on the road up to 3 weeks at a time. Experienced owner operators can usually work out a schedule to get home every weekend, but the cost to play at that level is much more than the average mechanic puts into his tools. The best thing that the US could do about the driver shortage is increase the max gross weight drivers can haul. Even if that comes with higher standards for testing or costs for registration, it would certainly save money. There is no reason that Michigan can allow 165,000 lbs gross or Washington lets you pull 120,000 lbs on a super B but everyone else is stuck with 5 axles and 80,000 lbs.
I would be fine in increasing the maximum gross vehicle weight as long as we had a progressive ton-mile tax...The higher your weight is above 80k, you go up on mile rates based on damage to the road bed by the extra weight. I call it pay as you go. There is NO free lunch. If you want better wages and working conditions, join a union. Or, tell your congressmen to cut tax cuts to big business and improve the roads and highways.
Oh and Cam....You came in at noon and left at 2am with a huge mess on the floor. (Don't let it happen again ) Welders get helpers, pipefitters get helpers. ...when's the last time you've heard of a Mechanic's helper? Management doesn't realize how dangerous being Superman every day is. ....and for what? Even something Simple' like putting (wrestling ) a new 300 pound tarp on by yourself could be your demise. My favorite. ....."Bring in truck X and repair Z...It' Take You Five Minutes! "
That would help the road materials companies like the quarry I work for for 45 years! Not sure how it is in other areas but around here it seems every time a bridge on a secondary road gets a bit too old instead of repairing or replacing it they just barricade it off and install detour signs.
Most studies I have seen show that fewer truck with a higher gross weight is actually easier on the roads. You don't increase the axle weight limits.
You should try the coal trucks in West Virginia and Kentucky...140k with a triple on the trailer, and regular 14k fronts, so 25k plus per axle. And the coal haul roads are in terrible shape. Howard
The word Mechanic in the thread title kind of says it all. IMO. Sorry folks I can't stand the term TECH. I started out part time after school sweeping floors and washing parts in a truck shop. After high school I got a job at a foreign cat shop, from there automotive machine. And I was still working after hours at a truck shop also. Latter on I worked truck repair strictly. I went through what was an apprentice ship in those years. I learned from some damn smart mechanics. God rest their souls. And I owe a lot to those fellows. The repair business does not want to invest in mechanics like that anymore. They want votech schools to take care of that for them- But in the end they don't like what hired. Personally I like training someone-give them a chance. Try to teach them what I know or don't know. But most of all train them how to cuss properly at the junk they might have to work on. And I am a professor at that task. Truck Shop
Foreign cat shop---car shop---Gee I need to look closer at my spelling.
Well said Truck Shop, well said.
My brother went through a 2 diesel technology program at a local community college. I think it was a great program. He graduated with an associate degree and plenty of training to do most tasks. I know they rebuilt an engine and transmission. He even rebuilt a 5 speed Mazda trans from an F-150 that had a bad synchro. I worked for a guy who went to Wyo-tech. He didn't have many good things to say. I think it was a 6 month program. He said there was just no way to learn enough in that short time to know what you were doing.
We have a 26 year old working in the shop that spent 2 years at WWCC diesel program right here in town. After the first two months went by he admitted he had learned more in two months than two years at school. I used to be on the WWCC diesel board, I quit because of the line of bull I was presented at meetings. It took guts years ago to walk into a shop-green as a gourd and ask for a job. But you were getting paid to learn the trade, even at the the low pay it was a good deal. Providing that person put some good effort forth. The business has lost it's way, IMO. I have run or managed three shops and trained several along the way. Three quarters of them became decent mechanics. But the most important thing a mechanic has to have is pride in his work, It's that mechanics name on it when it rolls out the door. And screw everything else. It's not about being a hero, or a so called hot shot. 99% of people won't know your work, but you will and that is what matters. In the end the best one can hope for is when your name comes up in a discussion someone will say you did damn good work. Truck Shop
Everything I have read about WyoTech is it's a rip off of the highest order, same goes for UTI. School teaches you theory and some of the basics but the shop is by far where you really learn/absorb how to do the job. i have one more semester to go. I recognize that it's still gonna be a couple of years before I'm really comfortable with the job and have the confidence to do it, plus I recognize that I'm not king **** straight out of school by any means. My instructors are pretty good but there is only so much they can educate when they have so much to cover, too, and so little time to do it in. A year and a half on the job and it's still like trying to drink from a firehose for me and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.
It's no different with any college degree. I have a degree in mechanical engineering. It's a huge and diverse field that can be very specialized. There is no way a school can prepare you for any kind of job. They don't know if you will work in sales, large construction projects, power plants, automotive, fundamental research, manufacturing, medical, robotics, computer programming, etc. All they can do is build you a foundation that you can use to learn your actual job. The only good thing about Wyotech is that it's over quickly and should give you an edge over entry level guys with nothing. I think a real associate degree from an accredited school is a great thing to have. Even a degree in diesel tech or something else automotive will help you get a job in a different field if you choose to change paths.
I think the best things a course could do would be to teach things like how to read a wiring schematic and hydraulic schematic. Then add to that the basic theory of how different pumps and engines work. You could spend months teaching about say one brands fuel injection system but then if the student gets a job that leans more towards the repair of undercarriage of dozers he will feel he wasted his time. Plus with the speed technology is changing in the heavy equipment field five years after leaving the course so much will be changed. So knowing the basics is more important than worrying about how Cat did something last year. Another thing would be to be straight up with students about some of the less attractive parts of the job, like working in nasty dirty places with oil and who knows what else dripping in your face. It's not all siting in the cab pushing keys on a laptop, once the computer points you in the general direction of the problem you have to get out of that cab and find that bad sensor and figure out how you are going to get your butt in there and change it!
Another thing schools offer is placement, especially local schools. Lot's of shops want to hire guys from their local schools and they fill their openings with students first before they look at the walk-ins. Schools can't get students unless they can find them jobs.
Another thing that I always push is for the newbe to learn how to rig and move heavy stuff safely. There's a reason old-timers have all sorts of shackles, short pieces of chain, and straps with woven eyes handy. Wooden blocks are a must to help prevent chains from slipping on greasy surfaces.
Learn to let the tools/machines do the work. I had one helper always wanted me to "grab an end". I always responded with "That's why we paid good money for a forklift/hoist/crane, you go get it, I will watch this heavy thing to be sure it doesn't go anywhere while you're gone."
Just don't be the guy lifting everything with transport chains and unstamped homemade equipment. OHSA has no sense of humor about that.
I've only been a qualified mechanic a few years now, but always had to have my own tools. it took 8 years, from the 1st day of my apprenticeship to accumulate it all. then i left the country. had to sell the lot.. barely got half of what it was worth,nvm that the shipping was hectic expensive. now i am starting over, i know its going to take a while.
Most of the work done where i started my apprenticeship was (and still is) done by apprentices. we learned the hard way and it sucked not having an artisan to show us the way. but we learned. tech was a waste of a year for the most part as the govt. system is broken.. yet still i count myself lucky, because we worked longer and harder to get it done.
I took an 8 month "Pre-app" course instead of grade 12 (did the required grade 12 courses in grade 11 so I still graduated). Was a pretty good deal since you finish already indentured as an apprentice. We did all kinds of things like mounting/demounting truck tires, basic welding/torch use, pulling apart non-running engines to measure crank journals, valves etc. Sometimes we'd even get machines brought in by staff members for us to diagnose and repair. I didn't much care for sitting in a classroom but they taught us how to read schematics and we spent a ton of time on truck air brakes. You definitely learn more in the real world but I still think those 8 months were worth it. 8 weeks of school each year for 4 years isn't enough to properly grasp the theory behind electrical and hydraulics (at least that's been my experience anyways).
it works a bit differently where i was. an apprenticeship is 4 years. one of those you're required to go to a technical college. to say that it was a waste isn't entirely true, because i did learn from it. was just a pain sitting through the propaganda lessons that had absolutely nothing to do with what i was there to do.. i agree with you, there's so much to learn. electrics is its own trade, so is hydraulics when you really get in to it, and there will always be more to learn, even 30 years from now.
Its still a 4 year apprenticeship here. I noticed a lot of guys seemed to struggle with the theory aspect of things when they were in school for 8 weeks of the year (as evidenced by the number of students in the sub-75% range). That's one of the reasons I think the pre-apprenticeship program is such a great idea. Rather than try to cram the basics of hydraulics (Pascal's Theory, fluid behaviour etc) along with the remaining course material into 8 weeks, it was already covered during the 8 month pre-app. Same with electrical. I basically slept through 1st year and aced the government test because I had already gone through tools, safety, airbrakes and basic electrical during the pre-app. It was just an 8 week review to me but half the class struggled with trying to understand electrical theory and air brakes.
I like my job a lot and I wish I has gotten into it when I was 18 vs 26. Unfortunately it was not advertised and I found about it purely by happenstance. Kind of hard for prospects to find out about the industry when they never hear about it ways in while the normal job advertisements call for "3-5 years of experience"
I went to trade school when it was just a Cert. 10 month crash course in gear train, engines and fuel systems, basic electrical, hydraulics some minor welding and diagnostics. Ranken Technical 75/76. First job, RTW state-KS, floor mechanic not trainee, not apprentice just mechanic, on production rate(flat rate). Lost my ass for two weeks, started getting the hang of it the third on old simple Freightliner cabover tandems. Midwestern Distribution Ft. Scott KS. Garage was B&D Motor Parts a separated division and the ONLY garage except for emergency repairs the company equipment ran thru. Got good at brake jobs(full anchor pin 16" drive axle type), clutches and replacing frame cross members. Experienced the grief of straight time on Air Conditioners, coolant leaks off engine and working on cab components as speedometers in that age of early electronic ****. ABS was coming out, learned air brake systems really quick as to diagnostics. Became wrecker operator off hours same company dragging the junk both out and in, picking up wrecks and so on. Got laid off after just over a year. Had broken 80 hour pay weeks working 3 1/2 11 hour days rotating week end or beginning every month. First overhaul, first Glider kit and first aux section fuller rebuild all here. Got really good at busting axles with a sledge popping those BS Frt Lnr/Rockwell flange wedges without busting studs. Journeyman by forced function. Second job Mack Trucks St. Louis, journeyman, rebuilding in-frames, fuel system repairs/dyno work, electrical system repairs and conversions on the old beasts. Transmissions in Bulldogs are their own animal, triple counter shaft, heavy as all get out, clutches were another experience in these on dump trucks and Trash trucks or City Fire apparatus, ALL sucked a crank with multiple PTOS, multiple extra whatever in the way but was Union and all time was paid. Frying pan to fire, never specialized on any aspect. Then went to work at Feld Truck Rental St. Louis, second shift shop working foreman, sidelined days as a heavy equipment grunt at St. Charles Quarry, lube man to start, by the end of a year rebuilding 110 Driptroits in Eucs on 1/2 day schedules. Have been in under or around most every type of equipment including garbage trucks replacing blade packer hydraulic rams(While LOADED) and Honey Buckets needing clutches or exploded engines while of course FULL to smaller towboats on Alton Pool Mississippi River. Heaviest/nastiest job ever done: rails on a D9H on a job site(trash Dump) in the open in August. Never so much fun in my life as to deal with the stinking garbage infused rails on that POS, removed with a gas axe in 1984. Working a tow boat while underway is an experience, three engines, take one down service then swap to another, by the time done the scenery outside is quite different and no sensation of motion other than watching rudder controls oscillate, bilges are just NASTY!
The truth is if your green as a gourd fresh out of school shut up and listen to the old guys. Every time a newbie opens his mouth he lets everyone in the shop know his level of experience. The dumbest question is the one that isn't asked. Nothing wrong with asking for help just be ready to return the favor. And show up for work looking like you have some ambition and ready to jump through your ***. A few of my requirements. Truck Shop
I like my job a lot and I wish I has gotten into it when I was 18 vs 26. Unfortunately it was not advertised and I found about it purely by happenstance. Kind of hard for prospects to find out about the industry when they never hear about it ways in while the normal job advertisements call for "3-5 years of experience" Was 38, getting tired and broken from all the crap jobs I had. Finally get a response to a Union Electric Co job app I had made and had kept updated, only took 18 years from first entry. Managed to get a decent retirement and healthcare package from 22 years of service. The first 20 years bending wrenches were not a waste but I had managed to save little.
"Saving" is over rated.. unless you LIKE living outdoors & eating berries.. LOL
The brain trust at Boeing cut so many jobs in the past few years they can't find help so their trying to hire back the retired work force. https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...-cuts-rushes-to-bring-back-retirees-as-temps/ Truck Shop
Boeing here in SC laid off 1000 I think?? It was a dam good run for afew years tho.. They put ALOT of people to work & filled the pockets of ALOT of businesses..
I see a lot of the retiree call backs at m old employer and have been called by a few companies knowing I retired trying to get some old school and some skill back into their workforce. I am hesitant to return to full time, still have back/backside issues and do not need to anger it any more than already do. They have not met a reasonable pay level either as they seem to think that as a retiree having a existing income precludes paying a price for the knowledge base. And I do enjoy a few berries now and then, along with the bourbon and scotch and old fashioned Stag Beer!! TPGSC!!
Underpaid and not appreciated
Ain't that the truth
I started out in July 1990 at a Caterpillar junk yard in Little Rock Ar. for $3.35 per hour. Only had car repair experience. Now I have a reputation as a hydraulic and electrical guru on heavy equipment making $31.50 with my career high being $34.21 Spent most of my time at Cat dealers. My highest grade completed was 8th grade but I read many service manuals over the years from cover to cover. Too much emphasis is placed on tech schools. A guy either has the talent and drive to learn or he doesn't. That's my two cents. House and land are payed off. Soon ill just unload this truck and ride off into the sunset. Let the snowflakes have a go at it.
You are the type most of us "old timers" are... At least me. 10th grade was enough for me, Could not stand the teachers in the "academic" classes trying to play their authority game day in and day out. Nearly choked one after he told me that shop classes were a waste of my time, after trying to use me as an example for the rest of the class. then I asked what his yearly take home pay was and told him mine was higher working after school. He flipped out and screamed a me for 20 minutes... I gave him the finger and walked out.
Was a 11th grade completer myself. Started my senior year, could NOT take it any further so walked out, went to the State office and took the GED test cold, passed with flying colors and joined our Uncle Sam's US of Army. Have some regrets but not many as to advanced schooling, went to David Ranken Tech in 1975/76 for a 10 month crash course in Diesel/Gas engine tech, out of a class of 34 starters we graduated 15, I was number two in the class as to GPA unlike HS where I was THE person NOT to be as I was absolute bottom of the pile.
I took my GED and scored high in science and average in everything else. I couldn't figure out why everyone taking the test was so friendly to each other then, I found out they offered classes before hand Lol. Live and learn. Yeah, us old timers are awesome!
I KNOW OF a Fuel Injection Shop in Charleston that is hiring, RIGHT NOW.. Lol IF your brain-dead & have a hammer, they'll hire you.. I called Friday to check on price & avail. on some injectors.. It was 9:30am.. I called my favorite parts man's extension.. no answer.. I called the Fuel Shop foreskins extension, no answer. I called the MAIN OPERATOR's extension, no answer.. I called the Engine Dept. secretarys extension, no answer, so I left a msg.. She TEXTED ME BACK at 1:30pm with> "NO, we don't have any".. 4 friggin HOURS to punch in a 5 digit part #.!!!!! AND THEN, TEXT?? without so much as a PRICE or expected delivery.!!?? SO, if you wanna job or should I say, a pay check.. where all you have to do is just "show-up".. it doesn't even have to be "on time".. & you don't have to do the job you were hired for OR be any good at it.. Contact me for more information.. Lol...
as long as I'm on a rant.. lol.. I thought I would RAVE.. I called another Co. while I was waiting for the other asshats to call me back.. I asked the woman if they had 4 injectors?? she said she had 1, but expected a stock order any day.. {THEN proceeded to explain to me, the fact that, seeing they were sold in sets of 4 or 6, there SHOULDNT BE 1 on the shelf}.. Seeing this was Friday & my customer needed them "NOW", that wasn't gonna help.. I said, Thank you & hung up.. 15 minutes later the phone rings & it was that woman again.. She told me who she was & proceeded to tell me, she called HER supplier & was expecting her stock order to be delivered on Tuesday, if that would help & she could "drop-ship" me 4.. HUH?? I was dumbfounded.. NOW THATS HOW business is done.!!! I wish I could give out the name of the Co. but I cant..they don't sell to the public, only Dealers. So in fact, there ARE STILL companies that KNOW HOW to do business..
I started earlier than you, in 1979 got hired as a school bus mechanic, but later went back to college, completed a BS in Mechanical Engineering, later, a MS in Industrial Engineering, and still working as a senior level engineer, with mechanic work on the side. I just expanded my personal shop with an additional 2,000 square feet of inside space. Now I have 1,200 sq ft of high bay area with a 20 foot ceiling and 2,000 square feet with a 10 foot ceiling. I think we need to bring back mandatory vocational training to all high school programs...now about those snowflakes, the young guys I know who tinker, restore old motorcycles and trucks have their acts together. And they are good enough not to have to work a menial 8/hr job the tire shops and independent mechanics shops want to pay. Once you are computer literate, pulling a harness into a interface plug and ready computer diagnostics is straight forward!
I read a news story yesterday that BNSF is offering signing bonuses of up to $25,000 for electricians and mechanics. I remember a time when getting on with the railroad was pretty much known as a father-to-son job.
That was back in the days where the work was much less complex and the railroads paid a top wage compared to other industries. Now, people don't want to be away from home, on a rotating schedule. With working spouses, child care duties and additional household tasks for both spouses, traveling for work on a normal basis is far less attractive. Luckily, I am down to being on the road one week a month, and that is too much.
Your not talking about snowflakes. Your talking about guys with natural talent that aren't afraid to get their hands dirty. Its cool that you were able to build up a shop like that. I preferred just running my own truck so the only mistakes I had to worry about were mine.
No one works out of my shop but me...and the wife, from time to time. And folks who do work out of my shop, are working on my personal projects.
UP is on that roll as well as are other companies that NEED specialty employees.
I imagine it's mostly poor planning by these big companies. The baby boomer guys are retiring in mass and they have not recruited or trained anyone to fill those positions. So, they are trying sign on bonuses and other shenanigans to hire in people with the skill they need without having to train them. I don't know if it will work. How many mechanics and electricians with railroad experience or training are hanging on the back of a door waiting for a job at UP?
Plus if you read the fine print and leave before 3 years they take their bonus back.....
Another trade that is retiring out is the lineman trade. Power companies are having a tough time filling those jobs even though it's always had good pay. Truck Shop
Not poor planning, intentional cost cutting. Training guys to be the next generation of workers pays off in ten years, not this quarter. We need to bring back apprentaneship programs is the skilled trades, tool and die, mechanics, linesmen, heavy equipment operation and the like.
As the trend continues to bust the union workers chops, it will only get worse. When everybody got paid the same, there was no incentive to leave for a nickel extra. It paid to invest in training. Most company's today are like most youth, they want instant gratification and can't see the work related future past quitting time today. Rant over.
Electric Company I retired from is having said issues. They had preferred to hire Ex-Navy as they were the types that had boiler or nuke experience where those kids are coming out Know it all's and can do nothing in real life except carry a good line. The power stations need good people to operate, to listen, feel and smell what the machine is doing, these fresh kids cannot do that, if not in a manual or been a instructed method they have ZERO clue what the machine is doing beyond reading numbers. The CTG plants are autonomous for the large part sitting in fields and along roadways, they only need techs and from the supplier when they fail. The line crews were being depleted fifteen to twenty years ago, as were the mechanics and shops for them to work out of. I continually heard from Management "cheaper to send it to the Dealers or contractors if you want it done right and quick, too bad they did not see that light down the hall where no one was hiring on in the contractors shops either.
If it's a publicly traded company in the stock market it's all about keeping investors happy. Warren Buffet owns Rocky Mountain Power/Pacific Power. When he bought those power companies the work force started to deteriorate because he has to see a 8% return every quarter on his investment. So the top management start from the bottom of the food chain cutting those worker bee jobs first. It's a very common practice with companies involved in the stock market. Truck Shop
Today i took off after lunch to move logs for my brother it was great to get away from chaseing parts and dealing with custermers if my brother could use me more i will do what i tryed to do before and get away from the shop.
Its good to get some therapy every now and then. In my book, logs are among the best therapist's on the planet.
I agree. The pile of logs I have had been calling me name. Down to one arm they're going to call it a little longer lol.
I love it when something out of the ordinary comes along to shake up the routine as well. Only 3 of us work weekends and the boss told us Friday night he wanted the yard swept over the weekend. 4 hours of moving machines and trucks around and playing with skid steer brooms was a blast.
Great...I took off a few days to paint my new 30x34 shop bay...so far, 25 gallons of primer, the OSB of the walls and ceiling really suck it up, next, 5 gallons of ultra high gloss white for the walls. Finishing the concrete floor is next!.
I do agree that a lot of the labor shortage is self induced. Getting rid of apprenticeships, treating employees like crap, poor pay and benefits, and no effort to recruitment or retention. There are few companies today where one desires to stay for an entire career. I think a lot of this is brought on by college boy managers who get hired on straight out of school with zero experience and try to manage with theory. The bean counters dont understand that people aren’t numbers. Fortunately I work for an decent company and the owner and his sons that will be taking it over are great people who care about us
In the shops I worked prior to occupation change the call was for 'Chargeable Hours Payroll' then they would search out the least cost to the client as to those hours as to book times. I would bid jobs from the night shift, have the OK from a customer to have it done only to have the Day foreman or the shop owner tell me I bid too high and cut the rate by serious hours. Had many mechanic drop his tools where he stood, pack up and leave due to that. Then the imaginative book keeping where the OT became a calc against total hours worked against total hours billed but the customer still paid time and a half shop rate. To set their own 'Fixed' rate and achieve more work thru the shop the bosses on days made up a magic number for ALL clutch jobs, 2.5 for COE, 3.0 for Conv where did not matter configuration such as dump truck or road tractor or even full fenders on a short WB. Three of those people NEVER laid a wrench on ANY machine. Moved to power generation, thought I had seen it all as to bad mgmt., but got the absolute shocker of the Good Ol Boys club, the Golden Child Club and so much mismanaged day in day out work that made my head spin. Only reason I stayed was the pay and a good retirement I never managed to acquire elsewhere. Told a Mgr one day Need to shut a self destructing pump down, he looked me right straight on with it screaming across ear plugs and said "The engineer said it will be Fine" where the next day it had seized almost forcing the plant to shut down. I was taken into a "Investigatory Review" as I had just had that watch station, the SAME boss tried to throw my ass under the bus where I returned fire, had four people back me up as to his comment soon after the engineer then was promoted, the boss also promoted while I was 'Allowed' to remain working.
I don't think you can blame this just on the college boy managers...I would follow the money and blame the company owners, senior managers and STOCKHOLDERS.
A while back I got into a discussion with a friend about a garbage workers strike. The lady's comment was that they didn't deserve to make anymore than they were making because it didn't take anything to do the job. They ride around in the truck all day and don't even have to lift cans anymore as the trucks all do that job for them. So I asked her if she ever took her own garbage to the dump? No she said. So my next question was what would she do with her garbage if they didn't pick it up? I don't know she said. Next question was what time of day did she usually get up to go to work? Eight or nine in the morning. I told her most of those workers were up before four am. I asked her if she ever worked out in the rain and cold? Of course not she said. Those nice trucks those guys ride in don't have cab doors I told her. I asked her if she were out and about if she ever had to use the toilet? Her comment was that she would stop what she was doing to go find a place. I told her those people don't have a place usually, can't stop and have to hold it until they get back to a transfer station if it has an outhouse. I asked her how she would feel now that her house with no garbage collection would look like one of those famous Seattle homeless camps. So working from a chair behind a desk doesn't make you a genius and certainly doesn't mean you can look down your nose at those who may not have the same types of intelligence or abilities. Maybe that guy in the garbage truck can't work a key board, talk real nice on the telephone or pound out a spread sheet planning a business or some type of operation. But that doesn't mean his job, his time and how he has to provide for his family is any less important. Nothing gripes me more than the arrogance and feeling of entitlement that seems to be engulfing our society today. The lady didn't like what I had to say but she doesn't bring up those kinds of conversations anymore around me.
MLK was murdered as he tried to assist in a garbage workers strike in Memphis 50 years ago, last month. And I would like to add, that we can redesign many jobs to increase human dignity and we should. I am up at four, I haul my own garbage, and if the local landfill/transfer facility/incinerator shut down, I would burn what what would burn, bury the ashes, and recycle all the metal, glass and other unburnables. However, the discussion above seems very familiar, was this on Fox last week? Howard
We started doing a "job shadow" type program at work recently and I think its opened up the eyes of a lot of the office staff as to what we do and what we deal with on a daily basis. Nobody really understands what anyone else does at work. They just think: "drive to machine, plug in computer. Computer says change these parts. Change those parts and go home". They really have an awakening moment when they realize its not nearly that simple.
Had a fella trying to convince me to sign a Socialist sheet one day, where everyone would be paid the same. I had just crawled off a Leach Body after changing the Main Ram push cylinder and the top winch motor. Asked if he was as good at collecting garbage as flinging it, no answer and walked away. Lots of parts changers out there, many have no clue what to inspect to find the Real problem.
How about to each their abilities, to each their own needs? Socialism does not mean we all get paid the same, it means that the means of production are owned by all.
That would be a Caste System. Kinda unfair.
That's what they say but it never quite works out that way. Human nature being what it is.
All I know is.. pay me what I'm worth for the jobs your asking me to do & everything will be fine.. & IF NOT.. I start bitching, upset the ship, start doing side jobs & eventually leave the company.. Leaving them Hi & Dry w/ no replacement available..
Garbage workers going on strike are not socialists in my eyes. They are just using a tool at their disposal. I've left a couple of jobs over the disparity in the amount of work I accomplished compared against what was charged to the customer and what I got paid. I didn't have the leverage to force higher pay so I left. A rich man gouges and cheats his customers and is called a good business man. A blue collar worker wants to provide a better life for his family and is called a socialist?
I once complained to a big boss about the way they hire people with no mechanical knowledge to manage the service department. I was told they don't have to understand what mechanics are doing. They just need to know how to manage people About ten years later that company adopted a theory that they can hire anyone off the street, give them a laptop loaded with service manuals and put them in a service truck. This was a Cat dealer. That thinking will get someone killed. They have now lost all senior techs and have a terrible reputation. But their ex senior techs with their own trucks are doing great Lol.
Several decades ago I had a foreman who noted management had taught him to keep the employees pissed off, they would work harder being angry. Told him good luck with that philosophy as three guys had just quit. He said mechanics were a dime a dozen and he would have replacements within a week, that shop closed two months later. That foreman never worked in a garage again as far as I am aware.
I had a boss tell me the same thing but he was smart enough to only **** off the ones that it worked on. That boss was good to me and taught me allot but there was one guy that he could **** off and he would work twice as fast. Truth is though. Mechanic ability is a God given talent not everyone has and if we aren't appreciated we will go elsewhere.
It censored me but not yours with "ed" added. Lol
That is true to some extent. Our current service manager has very little mechanical knowledge or experience but he is excellent with numbers, has great people skills and knows the other aspects of the business inside and out. I'm not ashamed to say he does a pretty good job at managing his department.
I would say that "They just need to know how to manage people" is probably true. Trouble is, such a manager is hard to come by. People skills/managing people effectively is not the same as a degree in management. Managers who have worked in the field have empathy and understanding of what is being done. I suppose this tends to build this into them, sometimes anyway.
People skills will not reveal when a dishonest mechanic is lying about something or a just plain stupid one is walking down a tangent in the wrong direction. I've seen the people skills managers carry on the lying all the way back to the customer because they had no inkling about how something couldn't happen the way the wrench said it did. Say a four hour job takes sixteen. The people skill has no way to tell the slob that is BS and then he goes to the customer who knows what it takes and carries on the lie. That is the heart of what is going on with the dealer side of the industry right now. Hydraulics not working right, you need a new hydraulic pump. Engine has a miss, new fuel system or an engine rebuild. Transmission overheating, needs a new transmission and converter. On and on it goes.
John C. You are so right and that is why that dealer has such a terrible rep. Boss ran off all old guys either by trumped up b.s. or just quitting like I did. Now kids and slobs he hired to replace us are parts changing till its fixed then, billing customer for every dime. Not long ago, they took a cutting torch to two track adjuster on a track loader because they didn't know it required a press. They charged $7000.00 per adjuster to fix it. Customer was an old mechanic who refused to pay so the dealer had to eat it. If the boss had a clue. The torch would have never been used in the first place.
That is a fairly solid point I never thought of. I'm an honest guy so the thought of taking advantage of the boss never even crossed my mind when I made the above post.
They also listen to "consultants". We just had a compensation analysis / review by an outside consultant. My job is done by a half dozen employees in the state if that many. I saw the data bases they supposedly used. Then they set up a 7 step range. I was put 1 step above my current salary. Now you need to know I've had this position twice, for a total of 29 years. I will retire probably in 3 years. So I asked what do I have to do to get to the top. "Set goals" was the answer based on the consultant's report. Really? I'm the kind of employee that see's that something needs to be changed or modified, I just do it. I don't wait for review time to "set a goal". I've made major organizational and operational changes over the years, all with management's encouragement and approval. My boss only would tell me I need to set goals. So when I received my 45 year service award, the chairman of the board commented on how great an achievement it was. It told him it's been a good place to work, no real complaints except one. I told him the wage survey was a good thing but being 1 step above average was a slap in the face. Well the manager found out and told my boss that I shouldn't have done that. My comment back was neither you or the manager addressed my complaint so while I might not ever get a bump up, I hope the other 1/2 dozen or some in my situation might get bumped. The sad situation is the 1/2 dozen or so are under compensated by $10 -15,000 / year. Total extra wages is probably about $100,000 / year. They are are all senior level late 50's early 60's and the consultant knows we are not leaving. But it sends a poor message to the up and coming employees and they just might leave. We're a $60 M / year operation and they are thinking about borrowing money to build a new $40 M building because we can, not because we need a new building. So it's not the money, it's the consultant. (Plus the company labor attorney would screw his own mother. He's just evil. I've been on the company side with him in labor cases and I was embarrassed to be in the room with him. He's been caught changing the labor agreement and then send it to the union hoping they wouldn't read it word for word before they signed it. Just evil) I've always said, it's the employees that make the place run well, good supervisors managing good employees but the employees seem to be forgotten when the revenue goes up. On the positive side, no one got laid off during the lost decade here in MI. We didn't replace retired or employees that left but we all stayed fully employed. We didn't get a pay increase for 7 years and increases since have been minimal but they kept our heath benefits pretty much unchanged which was huge and most appreciate it.
Years when I was a real **** cutter {now I have borrow scissors} I liked having a couple of gear boxes apart and a engine. It worked well when the boss would pitch crap at me. My reply {Look around what do you see, by the way there's more than one reason tool boxes have wheels} Truck Shop
TS, sounds like my old habits. Was second shift working Lead, ran the office, ran nightly billing, organized the third shift work load yet managed to bust 25-35 chargeable hours each week. Made some of the Youth in the building look bad rebuilding a 9513 or a Clark GM Crash box while ordering materials to re-ring a 478IH gas engine in chassis in a Fleetstar F2050. ALWAYS had my work in two bays of the shop, generally center where I could see or get to the guys I managed easily and quickly while still working the phone or desk. Shop owner had no clue as to how much I actually did until I just got sick of the pushing for more, I left, the next ups that accepted the position failed again and again where the Day foreman had to take my spot for three weeks to train a newbie. That went over like a lead balloon where that foreman ended up a straight time desk chaser on second shift and delivered NO actual shop work, stayed that way until the shop changed hands.
my last service manager was initially hired through a temp agency to work in the parts department. he didnt know a screwdriver from a sledgehammer, or a track idler from a wiring harness, but was VERY organized, good with people, and knew how to listen. 2 weeks ago he was moved up the ladder to a corporate service managers position.. we're now having to break in a new service manager :-( new manager is a little over a week into the job, and he's managed to **** up just about everything so far. i give him anotehr month before he's gone
Where are the Mechanics? I think most of them including me are hiding and fa^ting around on Heavy Equipment Forums. Com Truck Shop
Pictures or it didnt happen lOL
Pictures or it didnt happen lOL LOL!!! HAHAHA!
I guess there IS a shortage of inj. pump mechanics around here..?? I got 2 calls yesterday.. a friend of a friend kinda deal..{word of mouth} & on BOTH of them, the guys said>> I didn't know ANYONE DID this sort of thing "OUT HERE".. & when I finished the jobs for 1/2 of what Ford woulda charged for JUST showing-up {a service call}.. They were both happy.. They didn't have to mortgage the house AND they were up & runnin the same day.. I guess I need to start advertising.. but then again, I'd be busy.. & who wants THAT.?? lol
Yeah that busy stuff is for the kids. For me it's "you want me to do what? Jerry springier just start!"
" I know dats right".. The phone hasn't stopped ringing this morning.!! Fords.. Komatsu's.. John Deere's.. Dammit people.. I'm tryin to work in my garden.!!! Everytime I walk in the house to get a cold drink & a smoke, there a msg on the phone.. its 10:30.. I'm goin back to bed.. LOL..
Alot of wisdom in this thread, I'm very green so it's a blessing to listen to you guys!
The best thing you should learn from us old farts is to use a crane whenever possible! It will make life after 40 much nicer. Its a good living just don't let the job overshadow your family.
Noted r20d12
And speaking of cranes: the company I plan to have an apprenticeship with specializes in 24hr crane repair. I wanted to go with them because I figured if I specialized in something, I would get paid better. They told me they have a massive shortage of skilled labor, and made it sound like the money is better than other applications, they didn't shoot me any numbers but is that generally true? Is the crane industry really better money? Google couldn't answer this one for me, and I couldn't find any previous threads so forgive me for asking
Generally, Yes.. & take this next sentence to heart>> you never get paid what you deserve.. you ONLY GET what you negotiate.!!! Good luck.
I was specialized Diesel Engines at first, do something and get really good at it while expanding boundaries a little at a time. Air systems, hydraulic accessory systems(Brakes, controls) work into electrical diagnosis and the world becomes your oyster as the machines all begin to fall into simpler categories of the above. Add some weld time(MIG and TIG with GMAW) and you will become a all around value to whomever gets their grips on you.
Pics will come when the floor is done, repaired areas are currently curing Here is a pic from when we were laying the top deck
All the different parts of the mechanic trade can pay pretty good. I found that it is the sides of the industry that really make the differences. Cranes are good but the size you are working on makes a difference in the kind of work and the amount of pay you get. Anything more than 500 tons usually means lots of time sleeping in motel beds, when you don't have to work all night on a setup or a repair. The small end of the fleets seem to stay closer to home but there is still plenty of repair work needed and possible any time of the day through weeks and months. Cranes also mean you have to be well rounded on your skills. In addition to engines and drive trains you will need to be good at electrical and hydraulics and then you get into the crane parts of that industry. Winches, types of line, rigging, juicers against friction models and duty cycle cranes as opposed to lifting cranes and on and on. In my experience if you are good with cranes you can usually work on about anything. Also in my experience the good crane people usually turn their noses up at yellow iron.
Old cranes, electrical commutators to the swing cab, newer ones with air and hydraulic rotary joints, not much worse as to numbers of contacts or lines, varied voltages or pressures, corrosion, wear. Then the varied controls in those cabs, multiple winches, load cells, basics of math for angle to load capacities which many newer ones do for you, boom, mast, winch, transport direction or swing, using spotters, radios, learning the language and signals getting them down to a science. Refusal to do something stupid or daring, nothing ABSOLUTELY Nothing is taken for granted on a Crane. Just a side bar, do NOT let anything happen to your eyes. 20/40 corrected BOTH to operate a mobile crane even to work on them as far as I know as you will have to operate to validate repairs. I no longer qualify, can get the eye test for my CDL but crane quals NO WAY with a pushed 20/50 corrected left eye, bad day and long passed but still, KEEP THE SAFETY GLASSES ON!!
Well that would suck to get medicaled out of a job. Ill stick with yellow iron. I used to do some crane work. Mainly electrical and hydraulic stuff on Grove. Did boom pads on one when they first made the switch to the round bottom booms, couple hydraulic swivels too. I never liked the liability. Same reason I never liked over the road trucks though I have to some since they haul the yellow iron. Main thing is to do what you enjoy.
For sure, and add knee pads, ear plugs, and a kidney belt when you lift, not after you hurt it.
On the liability issue ...... I'm in the liability business . It equals cash ... Not everyone will step up & take the job ... World gets small real fast when talking numbers to a customer when no one else wants to take the risk . That's America
Sure. That's why brain surgery costs so much. I have done some contract work in places that make nuclear weapons. You need something like $10 million in liability insurance to get in the door. I had an armed escort at all times, even in the bathroom. No cell phones anywhere. The company I was working for made machines that actually made plastic explosives for the detonator of the nukes. You can basically name a price. But, what a pain in the ass. I've heard of facilities where you cannot bring in any tools. Others where you can't leave at night, you stay there until the job is done. I heard about a guy who worked on some machines at a US mint facility. You can't even wear your own clothes inside.
Yeah Wes .. Sounds like the same security in a casino .. Have a customer that works in the" count room ". Revenue agents present , cameras everywhere , coveralls with no pockets , don't raise your hands or wave them in any matter while counting . The thieves are afraid someone might try to steal from them I reckon . Funny part is he gets questions all the time by patrons at the casino about tip's on how to win ? " Get the hell out of this place fast " . You will be an instant winner . LOL !
My dad worked at Hanford Nuclear reservation from 46 to 68, we never knew what he did other than he was a sign painter. He couldn't talk about it, until about the last year before he died. He had some very interesting things to tell. He would bring home ammo boxes sometimes and leave them in the bathroom, we figured out later those were for urine samples when he was contaminated. We found a box of papers after he died that verified he was contaminated 13 times. He lettered the fail safe system on the process he had a high security clearance. When he was diagnosed with cancer the surgeons opened him up and closed him up, the tumor was the size of a football. Truck Shop
Now that is a sad story. Have heard it too many times in the last forty years.
We have a family friend who was a welder in a rail maintenance shop. He spent a good part of a 40+ year career grinding and welding through lead paint used on old rail cars. Some clipboard carrier decided to get the welders tested for lead poisoning and they were all way off the charts. They all went through some kind of treatment. He's retired now, but I'm sure it will affect his health.
I used to haul feedwater heaters to coal fired and nuke plants. Went to one in PA that has security not unlike most military bases or other overly secure areas. They had a fenced area to inspect the truck. Open one gate, drive in, close gate, inspect, open another gate and drive into plant. One small, or rather large, problem....I was about 30' longer than their containment area would hold. That locked them up. They couldn't handle the idea of deviating from their standard procedure. Had an armed guard at all times, climbed in and out my door. Another refinery in MN I used to frequent found a cattle prod during inspection (had just moved some cows before I went up there)....guard said "I found something that concerns me". He didn't know what it was. I laughed and said come here I'll show you how it works.... His boss gave me the stink eye. He said "As much as I'd like to see that I'd rather you didn't..." I could do another entire thread of **** I've seen trucking. I bet a lot of y'all could too!
Worked Nuke Plant Operations over twenty years, was pretty intense most days. Security was beyond foolish and the rigidity of management to positive change beyond belief. We had the feedwater heaters in our plant changed on two separate outages, even replaced the entire condenser, the turbine, Steam Generators and reactor vessel head all over the top in screening contractors, trucks, inbound equipment. I got tired of the 'Stupid' aspects, got tired of the waste expenditures required by our Government regulators for Eye Candy or Window Dressing changes to cost the industry millions every year only actually emphasizing the regulators necessity to be on the sites. Watching Security do their little dance when a Honey Bucket entered the yard for a 'Explosives Inspection' which was supposed to include INSIDE the tank was pretty funny. Never internally contaminated, know of three that had paper plates and baggies to put them in for uptake poops over a week. Stuff is dangerous but for the most part the commercial side is relatively over regulated, over sensitive and well over the top as to human safety. I retired as I could not hold my tongue any longer and was gonna tell someone off I shouldn't. The pre-70's work in Atomic energy was poorly constrained, they had absolutely no clue as to what this stuff did to humans or how much exposure would hurt, all were guinea pigs that worked those facilities in those years, sad but very true.
I grew up 10 miles from a nuke plant. In the old days they used to haul the spent fuel out on a big cask on a container chassis. They had an on site inspector who would not let the chassis load up unless it passed an inspection. My dad used to make good money welding up cracks and replacing broken bolts so the guys could get loaded up. Now they just stack the waste out on the back 40 instead of shipping it out.
Probably not spent fuel. Every plant out there in the US has all their fuel except TMI where that fuel remnants went to Hanford in '84. We used to ship large 'HIC's or High Integrity Casks of high but not fuel high contaminated materials as piping, resin, clothing and tools to a dump near Savannah Nuclear in NC. That dump closed so most of it sits in casks at the plants. Spent fuel is some mighty ugly stuff, I have handled my share in the spent fuel pool. The left photo is a New assembly, not irradiated yet so not screaming like a spent one. The other is deceiving, that assembly top is 24' below water line. I was driving the Cask Crane that day.
WAY BACK when I was young & dumb & partook in the wacky tobacky.. I had to go to "one of the bases" here in Charleston.. Unknown to me, they had dogs at the guard station where the truck was pulled apart & inspected before entry.. again, unknown to me..{1st time} The dog went, full total ape sh*t.. I lightened the mood by saying>> "HEY LOOK, he likes me." I was the only one who thought it was funny.. But after a total search of the truck, I was allowed to pass & do my work.. Lol..
Got to be cautious of that stuff, and is worse these days.
After being a truck driver for 20 years (both local and OTR) I’m actually just starting my hydraulic diagnostics business. I did this as a sidekick job for a while and I know that I have an ability. Finally paid off my house, so I don’t have the financial burden, and not afraid to risk it. I still have A LOT to learn - but I am a good learner.
Please start the thread. I love trucking adventures .
TVA> its amazing how your thinking changes when there is a BIG purchase about to be paid off.!!! That is the exact same time I started thinking about hangin it up too.. I decided to hang in there for a few more years.. get a pile of money in the bank [old house note money] & curb my spending.. no more new boats or cars for me.. BUT I DID make sure the wife has a new one.. When buying HER a new car.. I always paid 1/2 in cash & financed the rest at/or BELOW 1%.. My thinking is> if you cant afford to plunk down 10-15k for anything.. you don't need to be quittin your job..
Its scary. I wanted to do it long time ago, but I have six kids. My oldest is 14 and youngest is 2, and we live on a single income. So I was mortally afraid that if this thing not gonna go the way I planned then I will put my family in really bad situation, that’s why couldn’t do it before I got rid of my biggest monthly experience.
THATS ALOT of mouths to feed.. Put that house money in a jar for a few years.. nobody needs to know you have it..[wink,wink}
I’m actually in the process of buying the property on the back of mine, fenced out four acres, with water and 50’x50’ shop with three phase power. The property used to be RV camp site, and I’m buying it with home equity. Just recently I advertised my services on CL just to see what interest it will stirrrup. I’ll tell you what: if local equipment dealers (especially Deere/Hitachi) will be as bad as they are - I will have a lot of work to do! And $100 an hour charge - not a problem, $2 a mile over 25 miles not problem! And it’s not that I’m cheaper dealers - it’s the thing that I will not rest until I will found the problem, instead of being “parts changer”
Sorry for misspelling! Like they said - don’t text and drive!
After reading all the posts about toxic waste work, I'll just keep my mouth shut next time I get a loader back from the feed lot.
Garbage trucks are fun to work on Lift the front end to pull a transmission out and some kind of putrid, maggot filled, sludge oozes out the back. What a glamorous job.
Garbage trucks I made 8 days. 8 whole days before I had to move on. Not a glamorous job, middle of a HOT summer in Vancouver. One of the packers came in from a fish plant with a jammed bulkhead. They had it parked as far away from the shop as they could and you could still smell it. 8 days. Never again. Ugh!!!
I had a guy come over to buy one of the grease guns I'm selling that's an operator for a big local outfit that does a lot of the same work like @Junkyard - drilling n such. He saw what I was up to in the shop and said his outfit is hurting for mechanics that halfway know what they are doing and I should just go to work for them " ...pays something like $50/hr union..." . Now I'm afraid some recruiter is going to call.
I think any and everybody is hurting for a decent mechanic let alone one that doesn’t need his or her hand held. I’ve done the math here and I make as much as an employee as I would on my own. My side work is just icing on the cake! Benefits are what got me here and they’re what keep me here.
Benefits and pension are what are keeping me from going out on my own. I've been on the fence about picking up some side work for the last few years but honestly I'd rather just enjoy my time off.
Heh, we have what are called "dead trucks" around here. They go out and pick up dead cows, pigs, etc and haul them in to the rendering plant. Quite and operation. They throw open a gate and pull out a winch line. Hook the dead critter by the hoof and haul him up into the truck. Every once in a while you would see a full truck running around with a few hooves poking out the top. I used to work at a place right next to a rendering plant. My god, the smell. One time a truck full of "off fall", a nicer name for whatever parts of a critter that can't be used by a packing plant, stopped too quick and the whole cab of the truck, and a good bit of pavement in front of it was covered in blood, guts, and god knows what. I've never had to fix one, but I can imagine. I've done plenty of repairs on manure spreaders. Never seen one break when it was anything but completely full.
No rendering trucks or garbage trucks for me either. Local dairy does have 3 tankers for spreading liquid poo and 2 spreader trucks for solid stuff. If they do bring one over it is cleaned with a firehose under and over and then pressure washed quite well if they would like to have it fixed. Including the inside of the tankers.
Try cleaning up a wrecked rendering truck {laying on it's side} in 100* weather. Stiff cat's and dogs, bloated pigs, fly blown cattle and a horse or two to round it out. Then walk into your favorite tavern pull up a stool and stink the place out, the bartender gets your beer fast and moves on . Truck Shop
How do they get people to drive those trucks? Like garbage men. I used to think they got paid well, but in this area that doesn't seem to be the case.
I have been wanting to cut back my hours at the shop so after a year trying to find some one they did. I still cant belive that they found some one as good as they did. He is a good careful worker. He has been there about 8 months.About a month ago the boss called me and said another guy ask if we needed any help he said we had meet before and at first i didnt recall him but after i got off the phone i remembered him.I dont think he has stayed long any were. I talked to the boss and he said we would give him a try and if he stay great. I thought ok at least i could get some time off as long as he stayed.He is in his early 20s and has work out good also. He works nights out of his home shop if he has work and has worked as a welder. I have some welding prodjects so i thought i would take him one and see how it went. It was a half finshed small trailer i got at a auction. He worked on it and toad it to the shop. I know he left the trailer shop over wanting more money the trailer shop must be nuts i cant say i have ever saw better work fit and finsh are allmost to good for a trailer. I have several jobs for him and he needs the extra cash this is a wim wim for me.
Years ago 1979 as a fact, I was pulled in at the Livingston scale on worn out highway 99 in California. I scaled heavy on the trailer and was given the choice of moving 40 boxes of cucumbers to the drives or a ticket. While I was moving the cucumbers a truck parked next to me was loaded with fresh lamb hides from Superior Pack just a few miles down the road, the hide processor was a few miles up the road. The scale master had this poor guy trying to shift his load of hides in 100* plus heat. He was sweating his *** off dressed in nothing but jeans and rubber boots no shirt. he looked for all the world like the leader of the bike gang in Every Which Way But Loose except he only had what appeared to be two teeth. This was his third try at shifting the load of slimy hides loaded in two double hopper bottoms. He finally gave up and started to cry from frustration, jumped down and started walking down the highway. The scale cop came out and yelled at him to get back there, the guy yelled back a bunch of obscenities and said I quit stick it up your ***. By that time the flies were getting thick and the stink and blood leaking out of the trailers caused the scale cop to think. He started yelling please come back just get that out of here. Truck Shop
F'n creeper cops. Poorly trained group of knuckleheads, I tell ya. And Ol Doug, I think that welder kid just needed to find a joint that would appreciate and respect his skillset
Your wright now he is fixing tires and changeing oil at the shop after i saw what he could do i started thinking of a better place he could work and make more money.
Most of the scales here just send the fine to the trash haulers anymore and accept the overloads allowing them to leave. In 1979 a trash hauler with a newer tandem leach commercial overdumper was scaling out at St Clair MO and was 3200 pounds over(headed to dump). The scale master ordered him to proceed to inspection area, wanted the company to come unload that ton and half, instead the driver stopped at inspect and raised the rear gate, dropped the absolute rear pack out closed the gate then proceeded to the scale to re-weigh. Got their attention, was a lot of screaming and phone calls but the pile sat there for two WEEKS!! The trash company finally came and claimed but the scale house had to shutter for the weeks due to the brown shirts getting nauseous daily! Been at the dump middle of august, flies pretty much are busy so leave you alone except when one vomits, trucks are just NASTY! Do not care how well cleaned, with whatever disinfectant or deodorizing chemicals they REEK and drip from all sort and manner of hidey holes, welding on one brings new life to old hidden nasties.
My young welder buddy droped off another job i had him do.It was a small lawn mower trailer that my dad got free. Its axle was to narrow had washers under the wheels and its springs were set in to far. He widened the axle and spring hangers and made a great looking job of it.I gave him more than he ask for and we looked at the next job.I have been snowed under and couldnt get these jobs done this has been a great deal for me.
Back in the late 80's several local farms discovered ex garbage trucks made excellent field harvest trucks, I ended up doing framerail modifications on a bunch of them, most just needed tails on the frame, some needed to be stretched too. All of them made the shop reek when the hot work started. Some of these trucks were from Chicago, some from Pittsburg, some were actually from New York city.
Somehow that ooze or liquid aroma soaks right into the steel, do not know how, do not want to know how and avoid them at all costs save to chuck a bag in these days!
I have appraised plenty of dozers and scrapers that worked on landfills. The owners never like the value I give because the units are usually custom machines with a buyback allowance. Everyone thinks they should have a premium resale value because of all the extra stuff on them. The problem is the cost to remove all the pans and guarding, clean out all the biologicals, and try to remove or counteract the smell. A potential buyer gets into the cab and catches a whiff, most of the potential sales get blown away in the wind. The sellers also always tried to trade in the machine with the undercarriages worn to nubs.
I worked on a HD 11 that was used to bury left overs at a sloater plant it was cllean and hadent been used in years didnt even have any grease on it.It had a little smell untill it got rained on then it came back to life.
I had a good sized Cat skid steer loader that came from a pig farm, we got the smell steamed out of the machine, but the tires totally stunk. could not get the stink out of them, so I had 4 new ones put on. Not cheap, but the smell went away.
I think a bunch of us had more than a few jobs before we settled on the right one. I think in my case it was getting old enough to settle down, if you can call it that, and also ending up with a great employer that valued their employees. If the right person walks in and is treated right, the quoted post shows that it can be a win for all.
I can verify that. I job hopped quite a bit in my first couple years. Skill and experience were my motivation early on and if I felt I wasn't being utilized to my potential, I moved on. This place I'm at now is great. Decent mix of grunt work and brain work.
As I started as a Mechanic thought hard about skipping the HE, was back breaking usually filthy and outdoors where no elements protection save what you carried, set up many tarp shops. Got a gig with FELD Truck Rental in STL back in the day. Clean, dry most of the time, nice newer rental fleet. Worked in the shop at 7th and Russell for almost a year got promoted to second shift foreman due to a retirement. Stayed there a couple years was feeling the itch to move along and the owner asked if a few of us could work on a company wide Fleet Control road call breakdown system. Sounded as a challenge so took it. Mentally draining, 24/7 office open hours where we had done it on a call in basis for the local district before went to full company coverage. Did NOT give up the extra money work where the odd hours did lend to working a second then additional jobs, End of three years burnt out, moved back to shops, company was taken over by GELCO Corp, I was already working side jobs with my own shop in St. Peters MO. Was starting to take its toll, too many hours too little sleep, beat up breaking down physically. Now I reap the benefits of those years, tired, sore all the time, still have some stored crap in my head pops out when needed. Moving to the Nuke was not so much the better but retirement pension, insurance, other plusses while still afforded time to work other stuff.
I got a job at the IH dealer a few months after finishing service in the US Navy. Spent three and half years there and got laid off in the timber industry bust in the early eighties. Did five years at a coal mine working on really old stuff. Was the most satisfying place to work. Did three years or so at a larger coal mine with almost all new stuff. Worst work experience I've ever had. Did five years at the Komatsu dealership both as a field and shop wrench. Moved on to a small shop for a few months and then to service manager job at the Link-Belt dealership. That was another not so fun place to work so went out on my own wrenching and appraising for about ten years. Local Cat used manager was a friend and he asked me to come work for him for a bit to rebuild their process for appraisal. Kind of got stuck there for twelve years. Last year they put a new manager in place who was an ego with no intelligence so now I'm back doing my own thing. I don't pull wrenches anymore but do work with some people on troubleshooting at times but most of my work now is appraising. I've always seen lots of different jobs as a rounding process that makes a person more valuable. The trick as an employer is to get as much transfer of wisdom out of those of us who are true journeymen before we move on. The mistake dumb employers make is believing that someone has to stay somewhere as there are no other options.
My last hurrah at the Nuke, was out on sick leave, had two implants placed in C5/6 and C6/7 in my neck, to replace what had eroded to nothing making my arms, hands and much of my shoulder ache or go to sleep. Surgery successful, was in recovery mode doing my exercises, seeing PT techs twice weekly, behaving myself when out of the blue my immediate manager calls, says I am being forced back into plant for light duty. Explained the situation, PT, still on antibiotics, unable to tilt head back for at least another month, he said "I do not care, you just report back to the Medical Review Officer and get requalified to start walking down jobs and workman's protection and I would have to take vacation for the PT appointments". Stated Doc had not and was not going to release me for at least a month, he stated again "I do not care. you have your notice". I sat back a moment, got REALLY ANGRY, stated flatly he needed to do something for me as I was NOT jeopardizing what had just been repaired, told him place me on vacation until that runs out then I will retire, I am NOT going to chance screwing up my health to prove the company is wrong. Silence on the other end, he stammered a moment then said OK. I was on the phone to HR next few minutes and set up the retire date then went back to what I had been doing. The plant is obscene as to lack of experienced workers, they blame US for leaving not their ignorant attitude as I explained to another HR tech I am friends with, I would have probably stayed another year AND been back in around a month until that fateful phone call. They evidently did that to several other employees, and now they are ALL retired with the plant in a serious personnel bind, idiots. Proved out cannot fix stupid.
I remember THOSE DAYS John.. oh what fun.!! It was NOTHING to pack up & move from state to state.. following "the money".. Throw the stereo in the car, gotta take the stereo cuz that was the most expensive thing we owned at the time.. lol.. am I right fellas?? A trunk FULL of clothes & "maybe " some kitchen items & GONE.. 2-3 years usta be MY MAX at any one place.. I went from SC to Tenn, back to SC, then to GA, then to FLA, back to SC, then back to GA & then back to SC .. I used to LOVE runnin the roads.. you cant get me to go to the store, now adays..Lol
My trek was KY, MO, KS, MO, IL, UT, CA, MO, OK, IL, MO, IL and back to MO!!! All over 24 years until that last move!! Shortest at any one place three weeks, longest was the last two at 22 years. Got really experienced at packing!!
David Todd Geaslin is a professor type from Texas has a good message for the admin types. I love it when their eyes glaze over talking down like they just came back from he accountant says maint is a liability etc. I say,,, the shate dont carry itself, no truckee no sales duh. Maintenance is the most profitable part of my operation.
And you actually save/make money when you are good at it!