Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Where Can I rent an excavator with a timber Ax or brush hog

itsgottobegreen ยท 2006-08-23 11:17

just got one of those really weird jobs handed to me. There is an alley way between a building and a retaining wall. Its a 10-12' drop from the top if the retaining wall to the ground. Then the alley way is 20 wide. Its about 120-135' long. Its completely filled with 25-30' tall trees that are 4-8" across. My only idea is an excavator with a timber ax, bursh hog, grinder or something. Anybody got an idea of where I could rent one of these around the DC area. Or is interested in subbing out the work. :yup I Also anybody got an idea of what it would cost to rent one for the day???

Replies9
  1. #1CT18fireman2006-08-23 14:00

    Are you going to be working from the top of the wall down or moving up the alley way?

  2. #2DR RPM2006-08-23 19:49

    Is there enough room to knock the trees down with an excavator and a thumb, buck them up with a chain saw and then load them out with the hoe.:bash

  3. #3itsgottobegreen2006-08-24 23:12

    Well Looking at it, I would say I could buck the trees. But there is no place to drop them. Plus the brush thats in there is horriorable. Plus a lot of trash, (its down town DC in a semi bad area) A hoe with a thumb was an idea. But there is not enought room to lift the brush out and feed into a chipper. So this is really my only option. Except put a timber ax on my skid loader and have some lift it up and into the alley. But I am not really up for doing that. The excavator is my only real idea, because its the only thing that can reach down into the alley and get everything. I told him to get 25 gallons of gas and light a match. But there is a fire house across the street. GRRRRRRRr At least the buildings are 100% concrete. I am thinking about walking away from it. But making $6000 or more is keeping me from walking. :thumbsup

  4. #4digger242j2006-08-24 23:33

    Are you sure a brush hog or timber ax would be safe to use in an urban area like that, especially if you might be flinging unseen trash around the neighborhood?

  5. #5dr5012008-04-13 16:23

    a fecon style is the best ana x is dangeres when the cops come a knocken cause ya hit there cars lol

  6. #6joispoi2008-04-15 13:41

    Is it accessible to a bucket truck? Maybe you should hire a tree company to do some or all of the work.

  7. #7Turbo218352008-04-15 15:10

    I would say you grab the top of the tree with your thumb/bucket. Have a guy down there cut her loose, and you drag it up. I think thats going to be the fastest way.

  8. #8CM19952008-04-15 20:54

    I second the bucket truck/tree service company idea. Do you have to grubb the stumps and roots? What do they want for the finished product?

  9. #9HeyUvaVT2008-04-16 07:40

    to answer your original question...it will be between 1500-2000 to rent one for the day....its almost 1000 to rent a skid steer with one so i am guestimating that price