Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Where do I search for operators?

Little_Grizzly · 2021-04-27 13:42

I have a task for a dozer operator. I just don't have the seat time to be confident enough to do it myself. So I thought I would look around to see if anyone was looking for a side job. I have no clue where to start looking. Any tips?

Replies16
  1. #1CM19952021-04-27 19:36

    Good luck is all I can tell you. I don't know what the labor market is out in CA but here in AL we can't find anyone willing to show up, hold a shovel and get a paycheck much less someone skilled.

  2. #2Rihpper2021-04-27 23:20

    Where are you at in CA?

  3. #3skyking12021-04-27 23:23

    lay out the details of your task. that really helps us help you.

  4. #4Kiwi-truckwit2021-04-28 02:23

    Pretty much the same here in NZ. Can't find any staff, it's the same across most trades at the moment

  5. #5funwithfuel2021-04-28 06:50

    I'm sure there are a few pipeliners who can push dirt right now. Since sleepy Joe killed the Klondike project. The bigger question is, what kind of labor you looking for. Cheap labor ain't skilled and skilled labor ain't cheap.

  6. #6brianbulldozer2021-04-28 07:20

    Used to be the local tavern was the go-to place for operators. My how times have changed...

  7. #7Tinkerer2021-04-28 08:40

    I hope you have really good insurance. I witnessed hundreds of men who thought they were dozer operators. Most of them had average capabilities, some should have never been allowed on a dozer. There were a few that were masters at operating one. That being said IMHO, be very careful about who you allow to do that job that you feel you, yourself shouldn't attempt. The first alert that you are watching horrible dozer operator is if he attempts to do any grading in 1st gear !

  8. #8Vetech632021-04-28 08:55

    ^This X 100!

  9. #9Vetech632021-04-28 09:04

    I have one of my mid size general contractors that has this "NEW PLAN" to expand their business. They are a $50M operation per year and want to build that to over $200M. I learned this from one of the general super supervisors when having a conversation over some of the equipment needs. I asked "Where are you going to get the personnel to do this? There is no operators available, much less the personnel you will need for the increased equipment, pm's, and repairs? You cant even hire a decent service tech now and are dependent on me and the dealers as it is? " He admitted they havent "looked into" that part yet. He asked what I would do in that situation LOL.....i said " All those $300M + contractors that you want to be like!? You will have no choice but to attempt to hire THEIR people away from them.......and just plan on doubling the wages you currently pay to even have a chance at that." Yeah, Good luck my friend!

  10. #10Little_Grizzly2021-04-28 11:21

    Oh my! I didn’t expect so many responses. First, let me say it’s my dozer so I just need the operator. My insurance is good. The job is to regrade an abandoned road. But before you get visions of a 5-lane highway, this road would be better described as a 10 foot-wide trail. And that brings up the big problem. I need an operator who knows how to work in the mountains. Most of the people I’ve seen are great at leveling a parking lot. I need someone that is comfortable on steep slopes.... like 25 to 35 degree slopes. I’ve done a bit of it and for sure it’s an entirely different skill set. Plus you need to understand how to make a road. Things like erosion control like water bars and such. I can direct a bit of that but having someone that knows it from experience is better. A while back I hired a guy to do a huge job of putting in about a mile or so of road. He was an old timer with a great D6. Took him two days. When I saw that dozer sliding sideways I puckered up tight but he just casually adjusted and kept on working. Really wish he didn’t retire.... so I’m guess from the responses that I’m SOL. Wont keep me from looking but I just don’t know WHERE to look. I wonder if my cat dealer has an old job board or something.

  11. #11Birken Vogt2021-04-28 11:28

    The problem is that those guys cut their teeth logging. And since logging is practically outlawed now, plus not lots of Cat logging when a harvest does happen, most of the old time Cat skinners are in their 80s now, or worse.

  12. #12Tinkerer2021-04-28 11:57

    That old guy that retired may be more than happy to do that road for you, if you went and had a nice visit with him. Lord knows if I lived close to you I would be happy to do it for free.

  13. #13Bob Cowdery2021-04-28 13:02

    Back in the day. The bars were where you could get a job as a rig hand in the Oilfield. Drinkin beer at 9:00pm working Morning Tower by 11:00pm.

  14. #14skyking12021-04-28 13:03

    Thanks for providing the detail. As you can see what you're looking for is a cat Skinner not a dozer operator. Knowing how to put in thank you ma'ams and where to eyeball a culvert job that stuff doesn't happen with most operators. Unlike the people above I don't think you have an impossible task you just need to look in the right place. I got an 87 year old guy over in the Yakima valley would probably do the job if it was closer.

  15. #15Little_Grizzly2021-07-27 12:18

    Just to put a bow on this thread..... I ended up putting on my big boy pants and doing it myself. I'm no skinner but I think I might have earned some kind of merit badge. It was one pucker moment after another but I got the job done. I never imagined a 9-ton machine could just jump 6 inches to the side instantly. I learned something new about hitting buried bolders! I wanted to post a video but all I got was some very distant clips my wife took. Mostly looks like a cloud of dust moving slowly along the hillside. Thanks for all the tips however. Maybe someday I'll be the old skinner someone is looking for.

  16. #16skyking12021-07-27 13:50

    Good for you!