Going to look at one of these this next week and the seller states the neck is "loose" where it attaches to the trailer deck. No further explanation there as it's a widow selling the trailer and has no experience with it. I've asked for photos but haven't received yet. Not really familiar with the brand as seen many more Talbert, Trail King, Fontaine, etc. than Rogers around this area.
ROGERS Trailers - Construction, Dedicated and Mining Trailers ROGERS Trailers: fixed gooseneck trailer, detachable gooseneck trailer, tag along trailer, lowbed trailer, lowboy trailer, equipment trailer, construction trailer, paving trailer, heavy hauler trailer, front loading trailer, rear loading trailer, blacktop trailer, specialized trailer. www.rogerstrailers.com
I've visited their site in the past and they build a fine trailer. This lady's comment kinda threw me as I really can't see a wear point unless banging the saddles together in more of a sliding and impact motion, rather than being slightly low and going under the ears. I asked if the trailer has ever separated while being operated and she couldn't/wouldn't answer that question. I'm getting over to Mckees Rocks to pick up some steel siding and trim parts that have blown from my building and this trailer is further into PA but not rusted out so possibly a viable option. However, I don't want to drive my Mack tractor bobtail that distance and back if the neck is no good? A pickup and car hauler trailer is all that's needed for my run as nothing over 20' in length.
Did you call them up to ask them what to look for ?
Where in pa is it perhaps I could take a look at it for you
I'll get back in touch with her as I really don't know the geographic location except east of Pittsburgh. A friend with family there found it in a College Station advertisement. Never thought about calling Rogers direct. I'll give that a try. Thanks guys,
Your talking in my neck of the woods I'm just about slap in the middle of the 2
Thanks. Furthest I get into PA is to the show at Lititz for the "Mack Days" held at Roger Gerhart's place. Usually night when traveling so not really familiar with the area except the 9/11 monument along the way.
The gooseneck lifts the deck with large J-type hooks. Then, when the trap doors are swung down (blue arrow), the pipe sections (circled in black) are simultaneously swung in above the J-type hooks, wedging the deck connection from rising out of the J-type hooks on the gooseneck. Somehow, our driver would always crush the circle pipe sections. ROGERS Trailers - Trap Doors Trap Doors are a key component in the ROGERS Ultima Series trailers detachable gooseneck. They are rectangular blocks of steel plate welded to a shaft at the rear of the gooseneck. When the gooseneck... www.rogerstrailers.com
The 9/11 monument is about 15 miles from me to my south. One of these years I'd like to go to mack days it just never seems to pan out
The Rogers trailers I've seen in the past have two pins you pull to the inside of the gooseneck and they either hang from small chains, or are placed into support brackets. I've never seen a NGB Rogers trailer myself in person and the ones I've seen are a single cylinder pushing vertically against the ground. The swing down blocks seem to be common between the two but the pin I've seen actually both support the neck to keep the deck from jumping out of the "J" hooks or saddles. With these pins in place it doesn't appear the neck could sag far enough forward to fall free of the deck if no tractor attached, and no support bracket or chains supporting the neck. It appears, (to me) the neck could be so low you'd not get back under it without rear support however. I always travel over on US30 as like the winding roadways myself. I've been to that show several times and meet up with many I talk with online. I'm usually shuttling antique Mack parts to someone, or bring something back for someone else and it all works well. Most times that is a nice show to attend. Really something for everyone and all are welcome. Macungie is nice also but it's always over the father's day weekend and that is hard to break away for. I always stop at the memorial whether just at the front entrance, or drive on back to the visitors center to remember the events of that day.
Sold our CR50 Rogers years ago (2010ish), at auction IIRC. S/N ends in 22731. It was 1997, and we had to remove an outer frame rail and weld in all new crossmembers. Since we're going out of business, both of our Aspen HG55-C3 trailers are going to auction on April 3. One is a flush deck, the other has lower sides and raised center beams. Hunyady is holding the auction.
The trailer in PA was sold out from under me after we agreed on a time to meet up; go figure. Strength in character is not that important any longer I suppose. What is the benefit to the sixteen wheel semi trailers? Never seen one around here myself and that's a lot of tires on the ground for a tandem axle trailer. Must be for heavy loading over the back would be my guess?
The main benefit of 16 wheel trailers is you can learn a whole new lot of cuss words and florid descriptions of the dubious ancestries of trailer designers, simply by trying to change the inner wheels, when you get a flat there.
I can only imagine those inner wheels would be tough to change. This of course would lend credence to the reasoning behind being taught such language at the tender ages we were when tenured this education. Suppose one of these trailers could be considered "continuing" education in the language arts? I don't know but they sure look like as SOB at the most inopportune times.
They are a west coast thing. In california and I think arizona, they let you have a lot more weight per axle with a 16 without gaining length. In my state you have to gain wheelbase with extra axles, to gain capacity. i.e. the 16 is only a disadvantage, unless you are in a state that recognizes it.
Thanks. I seen several of them when working in that general area but never could see a draw for them myself.