I am going to change the fluid in the rear differential and planetary drives on my Case 580 Super L Backhoe. I found a reference that says the oil requirement is different depending on part number for the rear end on these machines - Axle Numbers 114367A2 and 114367A3 use MS1317 oil which is and 85W 140 with friction modifier. Axle numbers 114367A4 and later use MS1207 which is a HyTran Fluid. I looked around on the rear differential but haven't found the part number yet - does anyone know where it is located ? thanks Gary
There should be a tag riveted to one of the axle housings - facing the front of the machine...... from memory....... I should comment that I have never seen an L use anything but Hy-Trans + an axle oil additive #402982A2 , in the rear axle. Pulling the drain plug should soon tell you which you have? Also, I have only ever run 85/140 oil in the hubs, regardless of what any book or anyone says.
I found the tag - I had figured it would be on the front of the housing as well but on mine it is on the rear of the housing on the left side when looking at the machine from the rear. About a 2 inch square metal tag. Mine has a part number ending in A4 so the correct fluid per the manual is MS1207 which is Hy Tran. For what its worth I have attached a photo of the pages from the operators manual that shows to use the Case MS1316 - 85/150 type oil in the older rear differentials. I agree with your comment on using 85/140 in the rear planetary drives and plan to use it. My manual also specifies MS1316 (which is 85/140) for the front differential - both in the center bowl and the planetarys .
Has anyone found a video on changing the rear axle oil? I’m about to tackle this job and change all the oils except the hydraulic, changing all filters though but would like to see some sort of video first just to see what kinda of glitches to expect... Thx The service manual online is excellent but a little vague, if I read it correctly there are 3 plugs to remove, 1 in the center bowl and 1 on each wheel. As far as I can tell you need to remove all 3 plugs and spin the tires so that the plug in the tire is as far down as possible, then once it’s drained replace the tire plugs and fill the oil at the center plug. How accurate is this so far?
There was a big recall on the early 580/590 L series hoes back in the late 90's I think which included changing all fluids over to Hy-tran. The diff. housings were disassembled and cleaned the brake disc were changed out, even the planetary housings were cleaned and refilled with hy-tran. So all oils in the L series backhoes should be Hy-tran. I will say one thing though on the FWD machines we always refilled the front planetary housing with gear oil to keep hub seal from leaking.
The diff oil and planetary oil is separate form each other so you'll have to drain each one individually and refill individually also. Put planetary plug holes at the 3 or 9 o'clock positions.
I got through it okay, it’s pretty straight forward and I was worried for nothing. Changed all the oils and filters. Thanks
Did you add the additive to the rear axle? You will need it.
I didn’t add any additive, I went with a recommended Dynatrans MXP oil. What’s the name of the additive you’re referring to and how much should I add? And would you add it to all three spots on the axle? Front and rear axle?
If you used anything else, I have no suggestions.
If you put hy-tran in rear axle you don't need an additive
I thought the additive kept the brakes from squalling. Mine are loud. I need to change fluid and use additive. I dont remember using the additive last time
It’s probably time to replace brake disc
Coy, what kind of project would that turn into? This would be an M so likely very similar to the L.
You will have to remove the rear axle and remove axle housings.
☹️☹️☹️ Don’t think I’m up for that. Thanks for the information though.
I changed the Rear axle oil in my 580L and immediately experienced brake chatter. I was informed by my local dealer/service shop that I needed one bottle of the additive. After putting that in, it is smooth and quiet again. I believe Alrman also suggested this is needed.
What is the Approx. Fluid capacity for a 580 superL rear axle
Don't delay fixing the brakes toooo long or you may have major repairs in your future.