Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Where is the Fuel Filter on a D6C 10k

NWForest · 2020-05-19 17:54

I haven’t had this machine long and was building some road with it. It was running fine but I noticed the fuel pressure gauge was a little low, just below the normal green. Then after a couple hours it started to sputter and then quit. Now it won’t start and there’s no smoke coming out of the stack when I crank it, as there usually is. I think it isn’t getting fuel, so I was going to check the fuel filter, but I don’t see a fuel filter on this machine. Where would the fuel filter be?

Replies31
  1. #15.9Jon2020-05-19 18:45

    The fuel filter should be on Right side of engine near Injection Pump

  2. #2.RC.2020-05-19 18:54

    If it an older one it will be an element type, not a spin on. Also there will be at least one gauze filter somewhere between the tank and the main filter. Seems many people forget about them.

  3. #3dozr2020-05-19 19:37

    on the 10k both are on in right side on an under fuel pump one will have strap and look like old glass bowl but steal other should be spin on,if no fuel flow check valve under tank they will stop up too; if still there should be one to drain water an junk out of sump.

  4. #4D6c10K2020-05-20 07:42

    My 10k is like the above description....spin on filter at the fuel pump. Square glass "filter" behind fuel pump is really a water separator. Be aware that if you replace it that you can get either a water separator or filter that fits the same base... you want the separator. That same style was used on JD tractors and can be found at Napa. If your filter is plugged the fuel pressure gauge should read low.

  5. #5kshansen2020-05-20 10:06

    A full S/N will get better answers! Just saying!

  6. #6NWForest2020-05-20 18:45

    thank you everyone for all your responses. Anyone think this might be the problem?

  7. #7D6c10K2020-05-20 19:14

    icky....

  8. #8Nige2020-05-20 19:22

    An Operation and Maintenance Manual might be a good investment.

  9. #9Tinkerer2020-05-20 19:50

    I think you have a problem in your fuel tank to.

  10. #10NWForest2020-05-21 01:19

    That is my concern now too. Anyone have tips for cleaning out the fuel tank? I know it has a drain plug. Probably a good time to replace the shut off valve which has a slow drip. Good call Nige on the manual. I have already ordered one, waiting for delivery. If only I could go back in time and give one to the previous owner.

  11. #11kshansen2020-05-21 13:37

    I would say you would need to run some Fuel treatment with an algicide in it even after everything appears to be cleaned out. Not sure what is considered the best these days. And that is the fuel strainer how about the fuel filter? I think I'd be buying a few of the filters and at least one spare strainer and seal for the strainer so I could swap them out every day till they look as clean as when they were put in! I'm thinking, as I don't have the S/N to be 100% sure, the spin on filter would be a 1R0750 and the original number was a 1P2299, and considering the looks of that strainer that might be what is on there now!

  12. #12NWForest2020-05-21 23:55

    The serial is 10K7200. Someone who I thought knew what he was talking about told me that spin on filter was an oil filter. That’s why I wasn’t sure about the fuel filter. I had the engine serviced before I started running it and they changed the spin on fuel filter. I know that because they wrote the date on it. I am guessing they probably checked or cleaned the screen too. What I think what may have happened is that morning I fueled it up while the engine was warming up, maybe stirred up some gunk while the engine was sucking fuel out.

  13. #13Tinkerer2020-05-22 07:28

    Cleaned the screen ? Maybe. Probably not. Run it a few hours and check the screen again. That may save a you another spin-on filter.

  14. #14kshansen2020-05-22 09:37

    Just to be clear there should be two different spin on filters on the engine. One for engine oil and one for fuel oil. That little screen in the steel cup is only there to keep the rocks out of the transfer pump. Unless I'm more confused than normal the oil filter would be in the left side of the engine and the spin on fuel filter would be on the right side. Agree with Tinkerer on pulling that little strainer after a few hours. To me if it got that bad after only a few hours running you must have a very dirty fuel tank! Any chance of posting a picture or two of the engine. SIS seems to be not helping me know what fuel system this machine actually has, one place it seems to say it is sleeve metering and another scroll metering and even the location of the spin on fuel filter seems to be inconsistent! And they don't show the "As Shipped" information for that serial number. Cat seems to lump all 3306 engine into one big group of engines and sorting out which one you have is a chore with out seeing it in person!

  15. #15Nige2020-05-22 10:56

    The vernacular expression is "tree branches, dogs, & small children"........ And depending on the last time that screen was removed I am also of the opinion that you potentially have major contamination issues inside the tank.

  16. #16Delmer2020-05-22 12:56

    If you have a drain on the fuel tank, it's not that hard to flush most of that garbage out. Get some clean white buckets, or cut off 15 gallon barrels, or whatever. Drain the tank into the buckets, set them on the roof, let settle for five minutes, siphon back into the tank while draining at the same time into another clean bucket. Use a section of garden hose for the siphon, move it around the tank to rinse better, make sure to keep the siphon off the bottom of your bucket to avoid the garbage, keep some weight in the bucket so you don't pull it over on your head, ten pound piece of steel in the bottom of the bucket would be nice. Repeat until there's no more garbage settling out on the bottom of the bucket. In an hour or two you can get most of the loose stuff out of the tank, put most of the diesel back in after it's settled, and have five gallons of garbage to start a fire.

  17. #17kshansen2020-05-22 13:37

    That's the one I was trying to remember!

  18. #18kshansen2020-05-22 13:42

    Yep the trick is to keep the siphon in the clean fuel. The rocks and mud will settle out but the tree branches and dogs doing the doggy paddle will be at the top and you can never tell where the small children will be hiding!

  19. #19NWForest2020-05-22 16:03

    I installed a clean screen. Pumped the primer until fuel was coming out of the valve above the spin on filter. Cranked the engine and got a little bit of smoke coming out of the stack but not as much as usual. Cracked each of the lines on the injectors and pumped until fuel came out. Except for the one behind the turbo that I couldn’t get the wrench that I had on. Too many things in the way. Still only a little smoke and no start. The primer pump leaks fuel when pumping, not sure if that could be a problem for the engine running. Maybe pulling in air? Also If I pump the primer pump enough, fuel comes out of the drain hose at the bottom. I think I read in another forum that that was normal. I should have thought to take a picture of the fuel system while I was there. I will have to do that next time I am there. The fuel system is on the right side of the engine and the spin on filter is for fuel. I removed it and it does have fuel in it.

  20. #20Tinkerer2020-05-22 22:07

    All the crap in the fuel tank may be preventing the fuel to flow. If you can feel resistance on the down-stroke of the primer pump it should be pumping fuel. No fuel should be coming out of whatever you are referring to. Crack the injector lines again one at a time. Pump fuel until air bubbles come out with the fuel. Then pump until there are no air bubbles. I used to apply air pressure to the fuel tank filler cap. The vent hole. I rarely used the primer pump. I changed so many fuel filters when I ran a service truck that I knew the (Cat) filter part number for every piece I worked on. It was a bunch of them (machines).

  21. #21NWForest2020-05-23 10:47

    There is a drain hose coming down below the fuel pump. When I build up pressure with the priming pump fuel comes out of that hose. Could that mean the fuel pump is bad?

  22. #22Bluox2020-05-23 12:46

    Not unless it leaks while it's running. Bob

  23. #23D6c10K2020-05-24 13:13

    Assuming you have the sleeve metering fuel pump, the drain is to keep fuel from a leaking pump shaft seal from draining into the engine oil. If it's just a little you might be able to put up with it for a while. The danger is if the hose gets plugged it might drain into the engine. There's also a second drain hose that comes off the priming hand pump. It has a little needle valve which could be the source of your leak.

  24. #24dozr2020-05-26 17:38

    i use a shop vac on a empty fuel tank works real well dont have to take tanks off someone on here made a suck bucket would work real well, filters are cheap fuel pumps are not.

  25. #25NWForest2020-05-29 18:30

    The part that I didn’t mention is that being a D6 Cat in the forest of the Pacific Northwest, of course it quit running in a place where only a D6 Cat can go. In terrain that would make it a little difficult to get an air compressor to it. Today I finally got a chance to get back up to it. I bled the injectors more thoroughly with the priming pump. And I brought a thinner wrench so I could get it on the injector behind the turbo that I couldn’t before. Fuel comes out of that tube at the bottom of the pump when I pump the priming pump. But If I Crack the injectors it doesn’t come out of that tube if pressure is being released. I’m not sure if that is normal or not. After bleeding all cylinders I cranked it and immediately black smoke, it sputtered a little and started running after just a few seconds. It ran as smooth as a new Cat as usual for the next hour while I finished my road. Fuel pressure was back to normal. I will check the fuel screen another time when it’s not 95° outside. Then to clean out the fuel tank. thanks for all your help everyone.

  26. #26kshansen2020-05-29 18:53

    Yea! next time it will be in the middle of a mud hole and raining if your luck is anything like mine!

  27. #27dozr2020-05-31 11:44

    one sure thing they will never make it easy,my d5b has glass jd stile fitler and spin on forgot how many times be runing good get done with job go to get it , it would quit on ramps,talk about a few bad words. got to where i put one in lowboy truck.

  28. #28davo7272020-11-20 22:32

    That little fuel screen is in the fuel injector pump (has transfer pump as part of the assembly?? ) on the right side of the engine? My old 10K 3306 turbo has been sitting since I got it mostly and I need to do some maint before using it. Ill try to attach a pic of my inj pump. Ill pull the side covers before working on it. This style pump have transfer pump on front of it? I saw online some of these engines have a transfer pump on the left fwd side of the engine? Looking at my engine through the little side access door I dont see anything looking like a fuel pump on the left. I see engine oil system stuff and hydraulic (stuff). My fuel supply tube/ hose going to the square glass filter/sep comes from the rear of the tractor. Is the yellow hard line coming from the front of the inj pump towards the rear a fuel return line?

  29. #29davo7272020-11-22 01:51

    Well they told me over on the acmoc that my inj pump will have the transfer pump and strainer towards the front.

  30. #3056wrench2020-11-22 11:45

    i think someone has cobbled together those fuel lines, especially the one between the separator and the spin-on. it should go from the separator to the hand primer and then to the spin-on or something like that. the spin-on should be after the hand primer. i could be wrong though- its been many years since i worked on one

  31. #3156wrench2020-11-22 11:52

    to me it looks like a sleeve-metering pump. also, the gear transfer pump should be in the front section of the injection pump just behind the tapered part of the shaft where the drive gear mounts. the injection pump has to be removed to change the seals if they are leaking. a relatively easy repair