I have a series 1 580SL and the audible alarm that operates when parking brake is on and you shift out of neutral is very hard to get to turn off.I have to really get rough with the parking brake lever to get it to shut up.Slamming it off sometimes 3 or 4 times causing bad thing to come out of my mouth.It is a cab model.I took the cover off under the loader control lever that exposes the paring brake cable assembly thinking there was a switch there to adjust but there was not one.The switch must be located on the other end of the cable inside rearend.Please help.
I had the same problem with my old 580 SL. I unplugged the alarm which is in behind that panel in the loader control console. If you open up the door on that side you'll see a little access panel and there it is in behind. You'll lose the audible alarm for everything so you'll want to pay attention to your dummy lights.
I think its a normally open circuit, so if you permently opened the circuit, you would still have your audible alarm, but just not for the park brake, you could also replace the little switch and see if that helps. I was thinking that the switch was under the brake handle... But you can view case parts manuals on line and that should tell you where to find it.
Yeah i just looked at the parts manual and it shows a switch on the rearend for $79.I hate to bypass the alarm cause knowing my skatterbrain i would drive off with the brake on and burn it up.I will look when i get time to see if the switch can be adjusted.
There are two switches located on the actuator arms on top of the axle houising where the brake cables attach, you can't.miss them. There is a looped bracket on the frame that locates the cable and these can be bent to allow the cable to travel a bit further to allow the switches to open.The switches could be disconnected but if you then drive through the park brake the linings will be destroyed