Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Where to buy

Mike L · 2020-11-03 19:53

Heavy duty threaded rod for pulling pins? I sometimes just use threaded rod from the hardware store but if it takes any effort to pull anything it disintegrates. When I worked for Volvo we had some 30mm rod that was indestructible but iirc it cost like $900 for 48” or something ridiculous like that. Anyway, does anyone know where to but something decent?

Replies28
  1. #1Theweldor2020-11-03 19:59

    I use left hand thread coil rod, like they use for tying concrete forms together. The left hand threaded stuff has a lot hire tensile strength. With the rolled thread it is virtually impossible to screw the threads up.

  2. #2Mike L2020-11-03 20:07

    Thanks. I’ll check into that. I’m also looking for specific sizes like 7/8”, 1”, etc for pins already have a threaded hole in them so I can just screw the rod into the pin and rig up my puller.

  3. #3Bumpsteer2020-11-03 20:19

    Check McMaster Carr, just google them. Their website is simple to navagate and if they don't have it, you don't need it...lol. Their shipping is fast too, like Usain Bolt fast. Ed

  4. #4mitch5042020-11-03 23:12

    B7 rod is roughly equivalent to a grade 8 bolt. Hardware store rod is roughly equivalent to a grade 2 bolt. My cousin owns a huge machine and welding outfit. They stock B7 rod, so that's where I get mine.

  5. #5Mike L2020-11-04 04:42

    I don’t know how I survived this long without using thee guys! Like a toys r us for big boys!

  6. #6funwithfuel2020-11-04 07:08

    Fastenal B7 22mm rod and I have adapters made. 1 meter chunk used to be $65 or so and some 22mm work holding nuts. I use 22 cuz it fits through the center of my RCH cylinders.

  7. #7John C.2020-11-04 09:48

    I used to get the stuff here from a company called All Metric, formerly known as High Strength Bolt. It was Grade 8 ready rod. The other place that carried it was Tacoma Screw. I made all kinds of pull rigs for using with a hollow ram.

  8. #8JD955SC2020-11-04 20:46

    Fastenal has some. Cat dealers too. Different sizes, inquire with parts counter. God I hate pulling stuff, we have a nice chip in the ballistic window in the shop where a press rod attempted to assassinate the field service dispatcher. I’ve had a few rods snap on me, always livens up a dull day.

  9. #9funwithfuel2020-11-04 22:01

    Oil soaked canvas tarps. Really lessens the momentum. Since switching to the B7 rods, haven't had one fail. And I had a full 30 ton on it.

  10. #10mks2020-11-04 22:36

    FWF . I learned what RCH is/was from a punk ace keed. Smiles.

  11. #11funwithfuel2020-11-04 22:42

    ??? I was referring to enerpac RCH20 which is a 20ton returning hollow cylinder. I used to listen to punk, never heard of ace keed. Was that around when iggy was a stooge or more towards DRI ?

  12. #12Flat Thunder Channel2020-11-04 22:47

    I downloaded the McMaster Carr app earlier this year..... If they do not have it, you probably don't need it. So much readily shipped at the touch of a button. I have purchased B7 threaded rod from them before and have had good luck with the material. You can also request it from your local fastener/hardware supplier. I purchased a ton of 3/4 threaded rod for a project from a local shop supply business. They were much more affordable than your typical Fastenal & McMaster pricing.

  13. #13mks2020-11-04 22:48

    Mister, Much respect. It was a poorly executed attempt at humor. Red c##t hair. I learned from a bicycle wrench whom I respect. I'm twice his age. Hence smiles.

  14. #14funwithfuel2020-11-04 22:57

    I capped it. Looked at it and didn't see it. The finest measurement standard. Thank you for showing me what I wrote.

  15. #15mks2020-11-04 23:01

    You and your friends here are unparalleled. Thank you for all you do!

  16. #16Cmark2020-11-04 23:35

    Here's Cat's offerings. Adapters and studs start from page 44.

  17. #17Bls repair2020-11-04 23:37

    Just got some from amazon

  18. #18Mike L2020-11-05 05:04

    I’be worked with some field service dispatchers. I’m not sure that I believe it was an accident!

  19. #19Mike L2020-11-05 05:06

    and it showed up within 6-8 business months? I’ve had a terrible time with Amazon since the commie cooties came out. Much better luck with eBay

  20. #20Bls repair2020-11-05 12:26

    3-4 days, have you visited your friends at Volvo to say hello lately?

  21. #21excavator2020-11-05 13:42

    I've always used B7 rod. Had a guy call me one time that needed to have the axles pulled on some M42 tank bogies, if I remember right they were 1 1/4" fine thread. The internal threads must not have been quite as good as I thought because it came apart at about 25 tons of pull. The old tank thought it was back on the battle field again.

  22. #22Mike L2020-11-05 19:25

    haven’t been in there for a while. Left on good terms and I’m still friends with a bunch of the guys. If I ordered pulling rod from them it would be 3-4 months I bet

  23. #23funwithfuel2020-11-05 19:50

    Borrow from their tool crib.

  24. #24Bls repair2020-11-05 20:06

    ^^^^^^^^x2

  25. #25Mike L2020-11-06 11:36

    We’re definitely not that tight

  26. #26Volvomad2020-11-13 16:54

    How many hundred dollars per inch is M30 rod with the volvo sticker ? I get 8.8 grade M30 and grade 10 nuts off my bolt and weld supplier 3 miles away . Dont know the price of a meter but it is pretty cheap . I am very lucky to have a very good store close by . I weld 2 nuts together to spread the thread load ,a thrust washer and a slogging spanner and lots of oil to pull volvo pins .A hollow cylinder would be nice but the later machines seem to have looser pins

  27. #27Bls repair2020-11-13 19:34

    Give it 20-30 years

  28. #28lantraxco2020-11-14 04:54

    I get mine from Tacoma Screw out here on the Left coast, B7 up to 2" and I think 24mm, good selection.