We saw two 2008 CAT backhoe loaders, the owner says they were imported from USA, but we can't find EPA sticker on the engine. How can I check if the machine has EPA? Is there a website to check or send email to some EPA service? Thanks.
Typically, there would be an engine identification tag stuck to the frame directly beside the serial tag. Additionally, the engine ID tag itself should identify the level of emissions. Being 2008, i would think it would be high pressure rail fuel system and maybe EGR. No aftertreatment. Hope this helps.
Thank you, there is only the engine number on the machine serial number plate, nothing more. and I looked very closely over the engine, there is no tag. Can I imported it back to USA? Thanks.
That big ACERT tag says it meets tier3 requirements. Should be good for reintroduction to the states. As long as you haven't tampered with anything, this includes air filtration , mufflers , no EGR removal and the biggest is no ECU reflash or reprogramming.
Is there anyway to confirm that before putting them on a vessel? I don't wanna get stuck at the customs.
For written confirmation, I'd contact caterpillar directly via email. I don't know if there is a support dealer out there, nearby. You have to be absolutely sure nothing has been changed or deleted. I completely understand your position. http://www.caterpillar.com/en/company/global-footprint/apd/china.html This might help. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you sir, I know all CAT dealers and many staff here. But not many people are professionals. I will see if I can talk to anyone who actually knows. Thanks.
CAT makes engines to ship all over the world and in some situations if the engines are made for export they will not have an EPA sticker on the valve cover and cannot be reimported to the US legally. Since the actual EPA stickers are not present you will either have to obtain replacement stickers from CAT if they existed originally, *OR* if you can get CAT to send you an official letter certifying that these engines are mechanically identical to their EPA engines and meet the EPA requirements at the time of manufacture that will work also. I was able to import some HINO engines in machines from Japan using this method a few years ago. Something to keep in mind, not only can customs refuse entry in which case you will have to pay return shipping, but even if customs allows the machine in, if EPA at some time in the future decides the engine is not legal, the importer of record is still on the hook for huge fines, possible jail time, and the engine or complete machine may be expelled from the country. See this EPA form for clarification: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-04/documents/3520-1.pdf