Hi!! I am planning a road trip down to Pennsylvania at the end of the month. I'd like to know where are the best places to find old equipment; are there any equipment graveyards anywhere; old equipment "just sitting there"? I am mostly looking for earthmoving equipment from the 60's, 70's and early 80's excavators, loaders, dozers, graders, etc.I am not really a fan of cranes. I've heard about Gerhart in Lititz so i am planning to go check it out.How are they, are they gonna let me in or am i better of to call them ahead of time? I know the coal area is covered with equipment so i will spend quite a bit of time driving around. Is there anything else i should know about? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Max.
There used to be a lot of iron lining I-81 in the Scranton/Wilksbarre area. I'm not sure how much is still there, it's been a while since I've been down that way. The stuff I saw looked as though it hadn't been moved in years.
Wengers would be a good place to check out also. http://www.wengers.com/Construction-Equipment.asp
Hello Steeve, Was the equipment you are talking about all in the same location or was it scattered over a wide area?? I know theire are lots of coal mines in that area.When was the last time you saw it??I mean, if you drove there 5 years ago or less, theire might be a chance it is still there; in the other hand, if the last time you've been there is 20 years ago or so, it is less likely theire will be something to see.....who knows..... Thanks. Max.
I have been to Gerharts many times, but always during the truck show in October, and their shows in May. They're very nice, but I would call ahead and ask. Equipment in the coal area is scattered all around. I haven't been there in a few years, I understand some stuff was scrapped, but some is still there. (Not sure which was scrapped and what wasn't)
Clark equipment is just off rt 80 less than 50 miles from the Ohio border. http://www.rockanddirt.com/seller?id=1502 I worked on a coal strip job for several years just outside of Punxsutawney.
I haven't been down that way in several years so I don't know how much of it remains. I-81 had a major renovation and I think some of the machines may have been moved during that. There was a lot of stuff parked at various places, what looked like repair shops for probably 10 miles or so through the coal corridor. Then there was the single machine abandoned wherever it quit as well. I'd take a look at satellite images from Google through that area, they should be within 6 months of current.
I went to check on their web site and it seems quite an interresting place.I'll go check that out. Regards. Max.
i live in NW pa in warren, i travel to erie and sometimes over to kane and rarely see any mass amounts of stuff. seems like when you get farther west of me towards coudersport it was farm land and yoy may see some old tractors. and farther south of me closer to I80 you start to get towrds coal mineing area.
I spent quite a bit of time looking at Google Earth down Rt 81 and it looks like most of the stuff I remember has been removed. I'm not sure what bothers me most, watching the stuff rust away or considering that it probably has been scrapped. It was sure an interesting ride for me!
Im just a few miles from Clarks, our farm seems to be attracting more iron than it needs, but nothing is sacred!
What are you looking for
Mostly earthmoving equipment from the 60's, 70's and 80's; machine that use to amaze me when i was a little kid. I ofund soem Michigan 475's and old Euclid and Terex trucks(still being used) in a couple of places. I would have like to find more old hydraulic excavators but for some reasons, contractors don't hang on to them. Regards. Max.