I'm a first time excavator owner. I've got a Komatsu PC50uu-1. It's a 12,000 lb. machine. I'm looking for someplace to find general operating tips, safety rules, etc. concerning general excavator operation. Things like: when traveling uphill, always have the boom in front of you. Maybe that's a bad example? Maybe the boom should sometimes be behind? Can anybody add some of the basics you learned early on to never ignore? Thanks! Greg
I know it's a lame answer, but read the owner's manual. There's a lot of information on safety, operation and scheduled maintenance. There's a lot of good information on this site that can be found with the search feature. Safety is number 1, 2 and 3. Be aware of who is around the machine at all times and set the rules with anybody who will be working near you. Anyone who approaches your work area should make eye contact with you and get your consent before approaching the machine. Take a look in the safety section here on HEF. Even if the discussion is not about an excavator, reading the basic principles of safety (that were applied or ignored depending on the story) will give you a point of reference when it comes to decision making when you're operating.
Thanks for the reply, it's not a lame answer. Unfortunately the PC50uu-1 is a gray market machine and no English operators manual has ever been published as far as I can find. I've operated all sorts of farm equipment most of my life, but this is a little different. I was hoping for operating advice specific to excavators. I'm sure there are many hard and fast, never break rules that may not be obvious to new operators. In most instances I'll be working alone, but your advice is well taken. I'll look up the safety section here as well. Greg
Hi Greg, Not being a professional equipment operator I found myself in the same situation. Even without a machine specific manual,you can learn alot from reading an operator's manual.Get one close to the same size/style machine you have. When researching to purchase a mini-ex I found the forums here.Just roaming around the various threads is educational. There was a very active thread on working over the final drives.Just listening in on the thread responders' comments and stories (reports) was fascinating. If you just want to read a manual and go to work,it doesn't really happen that way.A lot of the safety involves knowing the working environment-fill,undisturbed soil,natural grade,natural drainage patterns, and even the type of material,heavy clay,fine silt,gravel etc. and any combination. Skies Jay.
Greg, My website has information that may be of help to you.
As said earlier, go through this site, there are 1000's informative posts. watch other operators, youtube has some good examples of what not to do, and some very skilled and very lucky operators or seat warmers(not operators) The greatest teacher is time in the seat. another thing that rivals safety is proper uses as avoiding stressfull swing operation, not turning while in high speed, not pushing in high speed. and just knowng your operator skill limits and your machines limits. This forum is very informitave and you have every scope of earthmoving covered here.
Some good reading on your site, terrasmooth. Thanks! Greg
I'm looking in a few sites I know to see if I can find any "operating tips" videos. If I come across anything I'll let you know.
Thanks, Nige. I'd appreciate the input. Like mentioned by Lectro88, I'm getting a little time in the seat. That's what prompts my questions. This thing feels much less stable than I would of expected, on some not very steep ground. I just want to make sure I'm not taking any stupid chances out of ignorance. Greg
When i bought my IHI 30NX I didn't know anything about running an excavator. I signed onto youtube and found two folks from this forum letsdig18, and Bobcatninja2124(aka Tom G.) I started watching all of the videos from them and some others that I could find. I have learned so much from both of them, such as jump turning, crossing obstacles, digging around utilities(jumping utilities), moving over steep, soft or rough terrain, and just general operation. Good Luck John
Thanks, John. I've been watching some of those videos over the last couple of weeks. Lots of fun and interesting stuff. I didn't realize they were member of this forum. Greg
Everything mentioned so far is right on the money. My 2c worth of advice Find somewhere - out of harms way with no utilities/trees/obstacles/bystanders - to operate and get to know your limits and the limitations of your machine so that you can learn to operate your machine SAFELY .
Volvo has a series of instructional videos on youtube. If you haven't found them already, look them up.
The Volvo stuff was great. I found them and watched them last night, Thanks!
Letsdig18 has a really good video of taking out a beaver dam, it shows the use of mats and the importance of knowing your machine and he makes it look easy.