Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Where to get marine chain

inyati13 ยท 2010-08-12 18:17

Hey, truckers use chain for securing cargo. Would anyone know where to get marine chain, say 3/8 inch w/o buying $1000 spools? I need about ten feet of hot dipped galvinized chain. Mose hardware stores of a general nature only have your run of the mill chain. thanks.

Replies6
  1. #1Chaz Murray2010-08-12 19:43

    west marine? :beatsme Not sure if I would use that for transport since I am not sure if the markings are on the chain like the DOT would be looking for so I would check into that first.:beatsme http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=437798&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10105&subdeptNum=10424&classNum=10425

  2. #2stumpjumper832010-08-12 22:20

    Every 10th link and each hook or splice need to be stamped with the grade of the chain. And you have to use grade 70 or higher for highway transport work. Why would you wanna use marine chain?

  3. #3Dualie2010-08-12 22:42

    Rigging supply store should have it. crane and lifting rigging. most places that make Wire rope chokers and swedge cables should have no problem getting you some.

  4. #4mitch5042010-08-12 22:54

    Every coastal hardware store; lots of internet marine supply stores, most are cheaper than west marine, though they give excellent service

  5. #5inyati132010-08-13 09:50

    I want marine chain to use on making a deadman anchor for stabilizing a barn. The chain will be buried around a concrete deadman. I just can't find a place that sells it. common galvanized chain will not last as long as the method of galvanizing is different. Thanks.

  6. #6winky2010-09-07 17:26

    try Manufacturer Express, Inc. I have bought chain there , cheap , good stuff and free shipping grade 70 is what they carry. Half the price of Lowes , Tractor Supply etc