Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Where to Support Dozer on Blocks for Track Work ??

g_man ยท 2011-05-19 19:37

I just aquired a Dresser TD7G that needs new track chains and sprockets. I have never worked on a tracked machine or any machine this heavy. My plan is to jack the thing up and get it on blocks. Cut the chains off. Cut the pad bolts off. Change the sprockets out. Replace track adjuster seals. Put on the new chains then the old pads. If this plan is not reasonable please let me know. To Start where should I put the blocks/jackstands ?? It has an internal Blade. Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1QuickTrax2011-05-19 20:26

    I would start by loosening the track adjuster grease fitting then jack the machine up by stacking blocks under the rear center of the machine (under the hitch if it has one) then push the blade down and the machine should come off of the ground. You can then open up your tracks to get them off. Open them up on the rear of the sprocket then put the machine in reverse and the machine will take the tracks off of itself. After the tracks are off of the machine and while the machine is still off of the ground, you need to put blocks under the idler on each side. You should have track guides bolted to the roller frame under the idlers on each side and they will sit on the blocks. Make sure your blocks are in good shape and are not rotten or coming apart. At this point you can lift the blade. We have blocked hundreds of machines up in our shop and have never had a problem. To block your machine up should not require any jacks. The machine should do all of the work for you. Good luck, Quick Trax

  2. #2Lee-online2011-05-19 20:41

    That is basically how we do our bigger stuff. Track jacks, back up onto them, not on top but, until it lifts the rear. block the rear of the machine then lift the front with the blade and block the front. Drive forward and it will kick out the track jacks. Track jacks are just a moon shape piece of metal but a block will work. Outside we use blocking but on concrete we use stands. 3 points are all that is needed. 2 at the back and 1 in the front.

  3. #3mitch5042011-05-19 22:56

    Hey Lee, I've used an oak 8x8 to lift a machine like you describe, but can you post a pic of a track jack? I just can't get my head around it, thanks.

  4. #4g_man2011-05-20 06:19

    Thanks - Sounds to easy but that is just fine with me. I am sure I will find some things that are a struggle as I bungle and learn my way along. Getting knowledgeable advise and info on this forum sure helps guys like me . Thanks for taking the time to help. gg