Hey guys another new for me and I could use some help. Over the hollidays I have managed to possibly get a contract which would require me to have 16ft bins (I only carry 12ft bins). So I am running the numbers on larger truck. Considering a Sterling Acterra with a 20K hooklift. I would go with the Ampliroll variable hook height lift so I could still carry my 12 footers (similar to the swaploader sl-180). So the question is which 33k GVW truck to go with. If it's the sterling is it a 6.7 Cummins or the mercedes 900? With the cost of diesel, fuel ecomomy is obviously a major consideration. Should I consider a Hino? PS> I live in an urban area
go with the sterling with the mercedes 900
I have no idea how spares/parts support for Mercedes are over there but the Mercedes engines are often used as a yard stick for reliability and economy here. One guy I use quite often with an older Mercedes is still chuckling at the end of every day when all the other O/O he contracts with are crying at the Bowser with their Macks etc. The only problem is the Mercs are well supported in some areas and not in others.
My vote would be for the Mercedes engine. I test drove a Sterling Dump truck with MBE4000, Auto shift and air bag suspension, it was one nice truck. I’m surprised you’re considering a single axle bin truck, I know there’s good demand in Vancouver for 30 and 40 Yard bins, but it seems everywhere you go you see new mini bin company’s.
id look hard at an itl w/a 466 in it personally.
Bobcatuser> You make a good point, there are alot of minibin companys in our area and the demand is there for the larger bins. I am not ready to be the big bin guy, I am going to stay small and ride out the last stretch of the construction boom. If I stay small I will be the sole owner as soon as I go bigger someone owns a piece of me(one way or another). But that's what is so great about these forums, to get the feedback on some of the biger vs. smaller debates is awsome. My mind is never made up until I sign the check. When it comes to mercedes vs the 6.7 , the feedback seems to favor the mercedes for effiency but my dealer told me today to consider the 6.7 because I can burn 20% biodiesel. I hav'nt tried to do the math yet but I will get back to you. PS I looked at your website>clean & simple nice job. I will look for you out on the roads. Bret
I have an 97 int dt466 now and it's bullet proof, unless there is a really good reason not to go with sterling? I am going that direction because my trade-in is too good to go anywhere else.
I have an 97 int dt466 now and it's bullet proof, unless there is a really good reason not to go with sterling? I am going that direction because my trade-in is too good to go anywhere else. Squizzy246B> thanks> I have read similar posts elsewhere. Good to hear!
I don’t know much about running a disposal company but when you hear about the price wars with front end disposal container business I wouldn’t want to be competing. The reason I would go with the 40yd bins is because, on bigger sites they will have 2 or 3 containers which are emptied every second day or so. All you need is a couple of sites to keep the truck running full time. And %80 of the load is recyclable. Clean wood, pallets, cardboard, plastic, rebar.