Have a D5C LGP 1999 model. In reading the web it seems that a Cat "parts list" and the "shop manual" are separate items, though both contain how to information? So for a owner who's going to do only the most basic things ( hoses, SIMPLE parts replacing & adjusting ) is the 'parts manual' sufficient? Seems that the 'shop manual' is a very expensive item and that it is full of things I'd never attempt? Or am I missing something here? Insight appreciated.
Yes. Parts manuals and service manuals are 2 separate books. The parts book really doesn't contain any "know how" but it does have pictures and diagrams of how things are assembled. If your dealer has a good parts dept I wouldn't buy either. But as an owner that wasn't going to attempt major repairs I'd probably choose the parts manual.
Also, check ebay or Amazon for those manuals. You can get them way cheaper than what the dealer price is.
The first book I would get hold of is the Operation and Maintenance Manual for the machine. It will tell you what needs to be done and when, like how often to change oils, where filters are located, what type or oils to use in each compartment and how much. If you have a good relation ship with your local dealer try seeing if they will give you access to SIS on line then the information in these books is available online.
There are actually 3 manuals in total. 1. Operation & Maintenance (O&M) Manual. You really do need this manual because it includes basic servicing information as well as fluids recommendations, system capacities, etc, etc. If you post your Serial Number prefix then it should be easy to identify which manual is the right one for your tractor. 2. Parts Manual. As Dmax points out this can be useful and shows how things fit together but it is not a "how to" manual. These are often available in CD-ROM form, I'm not sure if this applies to your machine. 3. Service Manual. This covers pretty well everything a mechanic would need to diagnose, test, & repair the machine. You may not need this level of complexity but who's going to do the repair work on your tractor if it's not you..? If you are not planning on using your local Cat dealer and you have a Service Manual then any good independent mechanic will be able to work on the machine with all the information he needs.
Thank you. Clarifies a lot.
I would definitively get the O&M manual, you'll need it. You can get an online parts account from your local dealer that is basically a parts manual that will allow you to search all the parts available with diagrams. I don't know if the D5C is available online, check with your dealer.