Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which Dozer with which options?

Nicker ยท 2007-11-12 15:00

Hi all: I have 100 acres which needs a motocross track. I would like to keep the terain as natural as possible so moving a whole lot of dirt is not necessary. The property is rolling hills to Super steep to straight down. I have many small tress (less than 2 inches thick). The ground is rocky and hard clay. What size dozer do you recommend? I have 3 hours on a bucket loader that was pedal steer and a pain to drive. Should I go with a 6 way blade and a ripper? What tracks do you recommend? Thanks, Nick.

Replies10
  1. #1fireman0502007-11-12 15:15

    i would go with a d4 cat

  2. #2dig dug2007-11-12 16:14

    that sounds like an excellent way to use a hundred acres. i've built a few motocross tracks myself. if your gonna work in the dirt you gotta play in the dirt too.

  3. #3Countryboy2007-11-12 21:27

    The dozer in this thread would be perfect, as it was designed to make trails.....although its a bit on the expensive side. Sweco Trail Dozer

  4. #4pwrstroke6john2007-11-12 22:27

    I have used my D3 to make a track before. If you have rocky soil which isnt a problem up here a ripper would help. If i could buy a new dozer I'd buy a D5, Komatsu D39 size machine. 20000 lbs is the magic number for my self.

  5. #5Countryboy2007-11-12 22:40

    Oh and Welcome to HEF Nicker! :drinkup

  6. #6Nicker2007-11-13 07:40

    Thanks all, Great site and good links to real solutions. What more can anyone ask. I have to admit the Chinese versions are tempting because of price, but if it doesn't hold up then where is the bargin in that.

  7. #7egoman2007-11-13 10:59

    Holy crap 100 acres to work with!!!!!! I built my current track on 3 acres. Its nice but what I could have done with your space.Get as big a dozer as you can afford. I helped with the track maintenance in fort mcmurray and with a unending choice in equipment I found that bigger was better. A 6 way blade is desirable but not neccessary and you dont have to get brand new unless you are planning to do this for a living.A decent older piece of equipment will do the job .Besides it feels better to do the job sitting at the controls of the BIG units.Its a shame that we live thousands of miles apart as I love working on motocross tracks.So much so that I went out and bought myself a International TD9 to work on my own track. Relying on a friend to show up with his dozer was driving me nuts. I told the wife it was for yard maintenance. GOOD LUCK:cool2 :cool2 :cool2 :cool2

  8. #8Countryboy2007-11-13 20:05

    Welcome to HEF egoman! :drinkup

  9. #9Nicker2007-11-14 07:57

    I am planning on buying used because this land will be the only place I'll use the equipment and there seems to be allot for sale in my area. I might also consider a bucket loader but I'm really a newbie here. What does 50% Undercarrage mean? That the sprocket and track are worn 50%? Is the LPG thrack the right one for a Motocross track? What does LGP stand for? Are "turned pins" on the track and mean turned in a lathe? Can I get by with a 4 way blade? Soooo many questions. Like I said I'm a newbie........Thanks

  10. #10pwrstroke6john2007-11-14 20:07

    For building a track LGP is not needed. LGP stands for Low Ground Pressure, with this package you get wider tracks and a wider blade. You could get by with just a 4way blade as long as its up down and side to side.but a 6way would be helpful and time saving for building berms and and maintainance.