I'm looking at buying a different dump truck to tow my #18,000lb excavator I currently have a ford l8000 with a 3208 cat and a automatic trans and it has no balls especially on hills. So I'm wondering what your thoughts are a the three trucks I'm looking at. One is an 1980 international with 8.3 Cummings 10 speed the next one is a 1990 international with a 7.3 5 speed and the last one is a 1990 Chevy 7500 with 8.2 Detroit 5 speed?
The 8.2 Detroit will probably have less power than the 3208. Is the 7.3 a 466 or is it actually a V8? But If the 8.3 Cummins is in goos shape, it will most likely have the most power, and it has the most gears. So without actually looking at the trucks and talking strictly about pulling power, I would go with the Cummins and 10 speed.
just a thought, if you do decide to go with either of those options, whack in a 2 spd diff as well.
All of them are in good shape and the 7.3 I believe is the same engine in my f-350. I'm really surprised the 8.2 could b worse than my 3208 this engine in my truck noe has the tag on it and it says 175 HP lol but I'm leaning towards the ihi with 8.3 it only has 66k miles on it rated at 250hp and I'm reading you can easily slide plate over in pump and get much more power out of it without worry of harming the engine
The 8.2 is way worse than the 3208, trust me. I didn't think the 8.3 was made in 1980, it must be some kind of transplant. If it is in good shape go for it. I would not really consider the 7.3, either, it was kind of a weak truck engine.
Yeah, like the others are saying, the only one worth a earthen water holding structure for pullin that type of load is that 80 w/ the 8.3. Everyone else is short gears and power. My suggestion is to keep looking though and see what else is out there, unless that 80 is perfectly cherry. Locally to me I saw a 90' l9000 ford for sale, l10 cummins under the hood, making 300. Tranny was a 9 speed road ranger. Had air to the rear. They wanted 9,500 & it included a 9 ton belshe trailer... or 7 for the truck alone.
+1 on stump jumper. Keep looking. Get a cummins M-11 or a Detroit 11 liter (60 series) with a 9, 10 or 15 speed. I have an E-7 Mack 300 HP (mack rates their HP at the rear wheel) with a 12 speed and I will replace the trans with an 18 spd when the time comes. I run around at 56K lbs and on the hills it falls on it's face. Eventually I'll get the Pittsburg Power mods and be able to pull a pup and gross 88K.