Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which electric grease gun to buy?

mxsledder ยท 2008-05-07 19:38

I have the alemite 14volt gun now, Ive had it for two years now and it is just a pita to get it to prime and pump grease now. I was looking at getting the lumax superluber. Does any one know anything about these guns? Thanks

Replies34
  1. #1cat692008-05-08 04:08

    when you put the new tube in only thread it on the gun about three or four turns (not tight) run till you get grease in it then turn it some more but i nver tighten mine all the way.:drinkup

  2. #2Deere96702008-05-08 12:54

    Ya, most likely you just have air backed up in there. Like cat 69 said, when you put in a fresh tube , un screw the "pump end" about halfway to get the air out. We usually never even tighten that end, we keep it so that its as loose as it can be without leaking grease or falling off! Try that and let us know how it works!

  3. #3bkdlays2008-05-19 23:06

    How about the lincoln?

  4. #4hoeman6002008-05-20 00:14

    i have the 14 vlt and i will never pump a tube again with anything else. :notworthylincoln is god:notworthy

  5. #5CheeseHead2008-06-22 17:51

    I am pondering the 14.4.volt Lincoln grease gun. Model 1444. Anybody have this model?

  6. #6Dwan Hall2008-06-22 18:03

    I have one and realy like it. I fill mine whenever in the shop using a bulk greaser, only use tubes when in a pinch in the field. That way there is never any air in the gun. Dwan

  7. #7Willis Bushogin2008-06-22 19:14

    grease gun I've had this model for about 2 years. I use it almost everyday, its a very good gun no problems. I did hear the 18v was a much better gun, but its about $100 more, Ill keep the 14v for now.

  8. #8cat692008-06-24 22:44

    ill be honest with you all i have 3 14.4 volt guns one of them i finnaly had to get rebuilt after three years!had one of the first 14.4 volt guns out there, thats the the one i had to get rebuilt AFTER THREE YEARS , i run a cat 1055b asphault paver and on the side grease fittings there are two of them that take 40 pumps a piece ya fourty and that thing has always been for me:notworthy

  9. #9Squizzy246B2008-06-24 22:50

    If you have a look under "Lubrication" you will find some old threads about cordless Grease Guns, if you haven't already:

  10. #10catchick2008-06-25 22:25

    We use Lincoln as well....heck of a grease gun but 4 of the first 6 my boss bought were useless after a few days....manufacturers mistake....haven't had a problem with any since.

  11. #11tuney4432008-06-25 22:52

    I found a deal at Toolrage for the 2 battery 14.4 Lincoln today for $205,shipping free--couldn't say no.I'll now sell my old 12 volt.

  12. #12tuney4432008-06-27 00:02

    WOW---only 2 days from I think Arizona to NY--got my new toy.Toolrage has definitely got a new customer.

  13. #13Speedpup2008-12-30 18:42

    fell off my tire and broke with a price of more than it cost to fix it. I could not get the parts myself to do it Worked good till a small 4' fall to dirt. Back to pumping it by hand which is good in a pinch

  14. #14RailKing2009-01-06 20:00

    The 14 volt lincoln is the only way to go. I had the 12 volt for two years and got the 14 What a difference. Once you get the hang of priming the electric guns, you will never want to pump by hand again...

  15. #15special tool2009-01-07 06:42

    Yep - me too. I have never had to "prime" the air out once. Just change the tube and squeeze trigger and it works.

  16. #1603warrior2009-01-24 14:08

    Got to get one tired of always pumping. Wait that sounded perverted sorry. Not fun in winter either.

  17. #17Speedpup2010-04-18 23:18

    got a new Lincoln 18v and it works great

  18. #18mitch5042010-04-21 23:59

    I love my Alemite 14.4v mine is very easy to prime

  19. #19Tinkerer2010-04-24 07:12

    Here is what I do to a grease gun to get it to prime when using tubes. Drill an 1/8" hole at the center of the threads of the gun head. When you insert a new tube turn the barrel on only a couple of turns. Next release the plunger and the air will blow out of the 1/8" hole . When the grease comes out turn the barrel all the way in until it is tight. That will seal off the hole. I would recommend you try this on a cheap hand operated gun so you can determine that you have the hole drilled in the right place. I also leave the plunger locked on the piston so I can push the piston towards the head to force the air out. Also in freezing weather I used to put my grease gun in the exhaust pipe of the machine I was lubing with engine at about half throttle. After a couple of minutes the gun would work as easily as if it were 90 degrees out.

  20. #20NAGreaser2010-05-18 17:18

    I would recommend that you put a automatic greasing system on your equipment. That way all you have to do is a quick visual inspection to make sure that all your lubrication points are wet and then move on with your day! Makes things significantly easier and reduces costs a ton....we use Groeneveld systems. Check out their website @ www.groeneveld.nl or email me with any questions...you won't regret it!

  21. #21KREBS CH2011-09-28 04:31

    If you want a "Food Safe" certified gun, then you should look at the LM25 or LM45 from Krebs Switzerland. http://www.krebsswitzerland.com/en/food-spray-guns.html

  22. #22tuney4432011-10-01 07:25

    Ummm---I think you just might be in the wrong place here.Cookies did look good though.

  23. #23tuney4432011-10-01 07:34

    Regarding priming any kind of tube type grease gun,all that is necessary is to reload your new tube with the plunger out,screw the barell app. 1/2 way home,release the plunger from the lockout and give it a pump or 2 while you are pushing down the plunger by pressing it against something.Then simply tighten your barell and you're good to go.Absolutely no need for any drilling of any kind,it's not rocket science,all you're doing is releasing trapped air with a little grease that gets wasted.

  24. #24Ronsii2011-10-01 09:25

    While the above method does work for 95 percent of the air problems sometimes there are still tubes that have air trapped in them usually from being stored sideways in hot weather then when you put them in the grease gun it seems like they will never keep a prime even if you unscrew it partially a few times... I have found what works when all else fails is to smack the grease gun(head first) into the palm of your hand a few times this will jolt the grease into the pump area of the gun displacing the air that is trapped there, this also works for manual grease guns and they are tougher so you can smack them into something harder if you want you just have to be careful with the electric ones as the plastic housing will break if you hit em too hard especially the little holder thingy on the alemite. On another note we had a lincoln and it broke after about a week, battery terminal in the gun fractured off so we now use 14.4 alemite it's built noticeably tougher... well except for the holder thingy anyways

  25. #25duchek2012-01-31 00:21

    How many tubes of grease can you usually pump out on a 14 or 18 volt lincoln?

  26. #26coorecat2012-01-31 13:09

    lincoln 18v all the way!

  27. #27pointrow2012-01-31 19:07

    I get 3-4 tubes per charge. I also have a charger on a converter so I always have a fresh battery.

  28. #28BlazinSS9342012-02-06 20:22

    I have the Milwaukee M12 line of cordless 12 volt they have all sorts of tools. They make a nice cordless grease gun. I have used their tools and batteries for 2 1/2 years the grease gun is is about 4 months old and it works great

  29. #29Dwan Hall2012-02-06 20:58

    after having my Lincoln 14v for a few years all I can say is they should have done a better job in producing the battery packs. I haven't gone through 50 tubes in the 2 years I have used one of them and both batteries have taken a crap. I could not recomend them to anyone unless you were to use them a lot more then I do. not only will they not hold a charge but they fall apart at the seam around the bottom.

  30. #30Dwan Hall2012-02-06 21:03

    if you have a bulk greaser in the shop try replacing the air bleader on your grease guns with a zerk then fill the grease gun through the zerk and you will no longer have an air problem.

  31. #31dloiselle2012-03-17 06:07

    I just got the 18 volt Lincoln. Long and short of it, what a monster. The thing pumps super fast, and the pressure. I was bleeding the first tube I put into it, and "pop" a shot of grease over 10 feet into the air. Opened up stuck fittings, and I do mean stuck too. Worth the $300.00 in my opinion. I had the 12 volt for I don;t know how long, ran it over with an excavator, and well, I guess it was time as it had started to catch fire the week before.

  32. #32TCS2012-03-17 06:25

    I have the same Lincoln gun and I agree,the batteries should last longer than they do,but the grease gun itself is at least 6 years old,I use it everyday,it cracked up by the head from me leaning on it getting up off the ground years ago and it is still going strong.

  33. #33GreaseJockey2012-03-24 14:21

    Why use a handheld when you can go with chassis mounted automatic.

  34. #34Matt19822016-03-31 11:00

    If you are looking for reliable, effortless grease guns let me know. We carry MATO out of Germany, they use re-useable tubes and there are no springs and no bleeding. Have a look at www.beka-lube.com and contact us for information. It is the best grease gun system I have ever used, and I have been in the industry for 10 years.