Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

which fluids to purchase

FordBroncoDave ยท 2014-02-02 10:13

I just bought my first backhoe, 1980 case 580C and I want to replace all the fluids. what do I need to purchase for oils? engine oil power steering fluid transmission fluid differential gear oil hydraulic fluid brake fluid Also, what manual do I need to purchase for specifications like this and other tidbits to help me make repairs and diagnose?

Replies7
  1. #1fishfighter2014-02-02 11:54

    Engine, 10W-30W, 7 qt with filer change Power steering,trans oil and Hyd all the same, Hytrans or type C-2. High dollar oil. Cost $80 per 5 gallons local. Trans axle, above 0, 90w gear, below 0,80w. 20qt Brake fluid, 3 dot

  2. #2FordBroncoDave2014-02-03 20:06

    I just found a substitute for the hytrans oil and is superior in most makes of equipment. Says it is rated up to 5000 hrs. Also says it is approximately 10W20 with additives factored in. carquest premium tractor hydraulic fluid (green bucket 5 gallon) any carquest knows what it is, it is on sale this month for $49.99 Allis chalmers PF-821 X Sunstrand HMS-103 IH Hy-Tran SPEC. B-6 Allison C-3 C-4 Deutz HTF PF821XL Versatile gear/hyd. trans. fluid Caterpillar TO2 Oliver Type 55 Steiger hydraulic trans fluid white Q1722 Q1826 kubota UDT Vickers John Deere J20C Quatrol J20A Hygrad 303 J14B J14C J21A 303 Massey Ferguson M-1110 M-1127A M1127-B M1129-A Permatran II M-1141 Permatran III J.I. Case / David Brown J1C-143 144 145 185 MS-1204 Ford M2C14B M2C48B M2C134B M2C134C M2C134D M2C159B1 M2C159B2

  3. #3fishfighter2014-02-04 04:26

    On those older machines, using aftermarket oils just might swell the seals. I really don't know about that. I see on your list that they list IH Hy-trans SPEC.B-6. Case calls for spec C-2. I really don't know what the difference is and maybe someone will explain. Oh, Case's oil is 10w. I know that for sure.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2014-02-04 08:21

    In a 580B.. is AW46 hydrolic fluid a decent substitute for Hy-trans in the shuttle and bucket..

  5. #5FordBroncoDave2014-02-04 11:04

    swelling seals might benefit me because it appears every ram is fairly wet. actually everything on this machine is new wet except for the motor which has no leaks of any kind and doesn't blow any blue smoke

  6. #6FordBroncoDave2014-02-04 11:07

    AW46 is equivalent to 15 weight oil with additives. AW32 is equivalent to 10 weight oil with additives.

  7. #7Swampfoxo2017-03-19 14:46

    I put ther super 303 hydraulic fluid in my case 580 b tranny, the shuttle calls for hy trans. my brother told me I could use the 303 but after I got a manual and I found it on here its not good in it, at this point in just bought it and changed the fluids. I might have say 30 hours on the oil if that . I never knew how it was suppose to work but my hoe drives into dirt without stalling and spinning. I have 170 psi clutch pressure and hoping that changing this would help me in another way. my question is how do I clean it out. mike thanks.