Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which Hydraulic pin grab coupler?

Tags ยท 2017-04-16 10:58

I know this could be in the Mini excavator forum but thought it may get more responses here. I am in the process of purchasing a new 12000 pound excavator and it is between a Takeuchi TB260 or a Kubota KX057 and I want a hydraulic pin grabber coupler for a couple of reasons. It is handy to be able to turn the bucket around and dig "backwards" and to dump stone when placing it against a wall as in stoning footing drains, and, to be perfectly honest, I'm getting lazy and don't want to hop in and out all the time when changing buckets. The Tak dealer has a Geith variable pin spacing coupler for a great price but haven't gotten a price from Kubota yet. I'm just looking for opinions on brands, good or bad. I also know it will lower the breakout force some but that really doesn't bother me. Thanks for any and all replies!

Replies2
  1. #1Graham12017-04-16 11:15

    I had a Geith variable pin spacing coupler on a Volvo. Probably my favourite coupler. You can pick up multiple different pin spacings, so if you see a bargain bucket or attachment of the appropriate weight it will probably fit. Most importantly you can let go of buckets flat on the ground unlike some hitches that you have to curl round to get them to release. These can be interesting as you can pick up any size attachment, but to let the attachment go you have to curl it right round and the cab/operator/boom can be in the way. Graham

  2. #2John Shipp2017-04-17 16:05

    We currently use a miller on our 8 tonner, and it's a good hitch but it is as graham says, you do have to curl things upside down to release the safety on the hydraulic pin grabber which is fine but sometimes complicated. Also I doesn't look like it is variable spacing, which must be useful if you're buying used buckets. That said, it's a good strong hitch and saves a lot of messing about.