I'm in need of a hoe. One that can build roads, dig fieldstone, grade my driveway, general landscaping, etc. I'm narrowing my choices. There's a 2004 terex 760, extendahoe, 4x4 cab w/heat, just under 1000 hours and a 1996 580SL, same specs around 6000 hours. First, the terex is used mostly for snowplowing so the hoe has little use. they want just under $30k. What's it worth, wholesale? The case seems tight but i do need an experienced person to check it out more thoroughly. It can be had for $21k. What's it worth? Given the projected life left for the terex it would seem a better buy if i was willing to pay approx 8000 more for a yard machine. I'm also aware the 760 is bigger with more power than the 580. The 580 will save me that much initially but if the hydraulic pump or tranny quits i'm up to the same price as the terex for a machine 8 years older showing 6X the hours. I'm aware the terex isn't up to the quality rep as a case or other leading manufacturer. My question is why? And, which will end up being a better value 10 years from now? I under stand contractors avoid the terex due to reliability issues which lowers it's resale value someday, is that true? Thanks for your thoughts, guys, Mike
I was in the same situation I looked at JCB, Deere and Case and I bought a 2006 Terex 860, extendahoe, 4x4 cab w/heat with just over 400 hrs. I paid $24K (bank repo). I have been very impressed with the machine. Tim
Thanks TRO, it sounds like i need to keep my eyes open. How did you find out about the repo?
I heard about it through a local dealer.
Ive never run a terex but I spoke with a owner/op at work who has one and loves it, ready to buy a second. The machine gets worked hard to.
Thanks JS, Anyone have a comment about the resale of the terex. Is resale an unpopular topic here? My original post was mostly speculation. I have noticed the terex's for sale all have low hours. How did you all decide what to pay for your machines?
We have a 760 fermec thats a 2001-02 whatever was the last year before they became terex and its been a real solid machine. You can pick the terex's up pretty cheap compared to the other brands.
I'll say upfront I know nothing about the Terex but if the case has been taken care of it should last you for many years. I checked both company's specs and the case is more powerful than the terex. Make sure you are comparing a 580 super L.
Well, the consensus is the case 580 super L is smart money. I'll just wait for the right one to come along. Although all the low hour terex's out there would prolly meet my needs most of you believe a well-maintained 580 SL is the best buy. Of course, i've also learned the trend is moving away from TLBs towards mini-excavators and skidsteers. So, time to explore the world of excavators. Maybe one of those and a farm tractor with loader would be best for a small land owner/farm/firewood/fieldstone-boulder/roadbuilding application.
honestly other then resale value I think the terex is better deal in the long run. Put a 1000 hours onthe case mostlikely will not cost you any money but as you gt up in hours you never really know if all the fluids have been done when they should have. On a low hour unit that is fairly new , change all the fluids your self and almost bank on not putting any money in it . Crap shoot with a high hour machine .
Personally I would take the terex as being said it has alot less hours and theres a big difference between a 1996 machine and a 2004. Loader wise a farm tractor will never compete with a TLB of any brand. Another point to think about is with the skid and mini x is that you can do two tasks at once but thats only if you have two people working them.