Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which one for around the shop and misc jobs

Okiecat ยท 2015-11-18 21:37

Im a dozer contractor only. I need a skid steer for working on dozer. Like removing tracks pulling roller frames. Put in a radiator. Stuff I cant do inside. And then misc around the shop and farm. Just want a dependable machine about 80 to 90 hp, I think. No cats, JD. Open to suggestions. I know nothing about them. Im running a D6N. Want something that will resale good, in case something happens to me. Getting old! This machine will probably get 100-200 hrs a year,maybe at most. Thanks. Forgot want to spend 20-25K. Is that doable.

Replies13
  1. #1Okiecat2015-11-19 20:02

    Well I regret nobody has an opinion. I realize Im not a regular nor do I plan on making a living with this purchase. But I still need it. Thanks for the looks.

  2. #2rmllarue912015-11-19 21:14

    Hey okie I like running them all lol its fixing and getting parts is where I have a opinion cat is at the top as far as getting parts,info or tools to repair. With bobcat at the bottom on my list. But I do like bobcats other than working on them. S300s and s750 seem very reliable I work on a lot more bobs than just cats I also like working on older new Hollands/jds and hear good things about the older cases. I also have used some 7810 gehls very impressed with the power and strength but they're huge hope it drums up some chatter

  3. #3Okiecat2015-11-19 21:29

    Thanks man. Im just reading all the post I can get to. Ive run nothing but cat dozers all my life, been on one 42 yrs and counting.

  4. #4td25c2015-11-19 21:37

    Not to change direction , but for what you describe how about a 20 ton excavator . They work well with the dozer on job sites and double as a crane when working on the dozer . HeavyEquipmentForums I really like the New Holland skid loaders . Have the JD 8875 ( New Holland LX 885 ) . Been a very handy machine with backhoe , forks , & attachments . Use it all the time for whatever ? Needed the skid loaders assistance when working on the outrigger . HeavyEquipmentForums For pulling track frames I use a 750 Holmes .

  5. #5td25c2015-11-20 07:29

    Something else to look at for all around versatility & lifting power is a 4x4 industrial "skip loader " . I use couple farm tractors with loaders for various tasks on farm and job sites . Handy as a shirt pocket as they have the 3 point hitch & PTO for implements along with the front loader . Use them all the time . Buddy has a nice Ford 545 . I really like it ! HeavyEquipmentForums Found one in OK for sale . http://www.auctiontime.com/OnlineAuctions/Details.aspx?OHID=9956905&lp=th

  6. #6Scrub Puller2015-11-20 11:57

    Yair . . . I would go with td25c on this one. I reckon 80 or 90 hp wheel tractor with a loader will provide all the lifting and pulling power you would ever want without the complexity and cost of a skid. Cheers.

  7. #7Jeepwalker2015-11-20 20:39

    There are so many machines and factors. If you can answer these it'll help. Have you set a budget? That's ususally the first place to start. Were you thinking newer, older? Hand/food controls (or don't care at this point)? Need cab (with heat/AC) or don't care)? Radial lift or vertical lift (or don't care)? Prefer to buy via private party, or dealer only? What make of dealers are near you for service?

  8. #8td25c2015-11-20 21:47

    Yeah Scrub , with all equipment available today the simple farm tractor & loader combination often gets overlooked . Hey ... The older I get the more I want a simple solution to everyday tasks . Skid loader or compact track loader really shine in tight quarters with there ability to turn on a dime & give ya 10 cents in change . In more open areas the farm tractor / loader combo works fine . We have both , still jump on the old Ford many times on lifting & utility jobs . Just a handy size tractor . HeavyEquipmentForums

  9. #9Scrub Puller2015-11-21 03:32

    Yair . . . Gotcha td25c, my thoughts exactly. I watched a bloke doing a lift with a big Ford 4x4 a while back (they seen to have extreme camber) and I was surprised at movement he had for fine adjustment just with the steering wheel . . . slick as you please. Cheers.

  10. #10bobcat12015-11-21 07:07

    Best bang for your $ is an older case 1845. Lots of weight,all hand controls, mechanical engine(4 cylinder cummins), no computer, easy to fix. Parts are available at case conctruction dealer and case IH agri. dealers. These are usually available in the range of $7000 to $16000. We have an 1825 case and T650 bobcat for dirt work and keep 1845 around yard for lifting and snow clean-up.

  11. #11brianbulldozer2015-11-21 10:40

    I have an older Bobcat A220 (all wheel steer) skid steer I keep around home as a forklift and for occasional use on jobs with a sweeper attachment. Pretty handy and I like the fact that it doesn't tear up the ground like a regular skid steer. That being said: the lift capacity is not that great, visibility of the forks is terrible, visibility out the back is terrible, and for an older guy like me it is a real pain to get in to and out of the machine. Pretty frustrating when you are by yourself and trying to rig up something to lift with the boom partially raised. Do you risk your life and go out under the boom or try to squeeze out in the little space over the top of the boom and under the canopy. I also have a 6k pound telehandler forklift I keep at my business yard. Wish it had a little more capacity, but still it is a much better forklift than the Bobcat, way easier and safer to get in and out of, great for small maintenance chores, but not much of a loader. Have you considered a small articulated loader instead of a skid steer? Some have skid steer compatible quick couplers and aux hydraulics, might get more capacity, more lift height, better visibilty, easier in/out. Seems like you could find something decent in your price range.

  12. #12Jeepwalker2015-11-23 01:00

    The other good thing about Case skid steers, like a Case 1845C is, if you don't mind hand (only) controls, or learning hand-only controls, loaders that don't have foot pedals to control the bucket are usually easier for older guys to get in and out of and comfortable to operate. Gehl loaders offer great visibility, and with T-handle controls and also don't have pedals to 'dance' around while getting in/out of the cab. Actually, a lot of newer SS don't have foot pedals. But a lot of guys like foot controls too. Guess a lot depends on what you like for controls, your budget ...lifting capacity needs and so on.

  13. #13Okiecat2015-11-28 12:06

    Thanks for all the input. Lot of good ideas. The old tractor with front loader may be the best option and economical. Since Im on the down hill side of my career and knees are killing me. The skid steer was just cool and extremely manuverable. But more money and with this years tax limit at $25K write off, cant justify spending more than that.