Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

which way do i travel the excavator when on slopes?

instructor gus ยท 2015-03-11 14:03

Sprockets downhill?:beatsme

Replies12
  1. #1RonG2015-03-11 16:28

    Convention (Scrub Pullers words) dictates sprockets downhill.You will get some other opinions on this but I have never read otherwise in any operators manuals,Caterpillar included.That should be the digging or operating profile too.Pull against the idlers.The direction of travel would be intuitive then,rock them forward to travel forward,if an obstruction should enter the cab with the window open while traveling forward it would push the stick,foot treadle to the rear inhibiting the forward motion of the track train and possible injury to the operator..Ron G

  2. #2instructor gus2015-03-11 16:55

    Thanks Ron G! It seems like a "old school" method, meaning it's the traditional way to travel downhill but was wondering if it is something still practiced.

  3. #3Garrie Denny2015-03-17 02:15

    You calling Scrub old ?

  4. #4RonG2015-03-17 03:46

    I think it was the school he was talking about.....LOL.Ron G

  5. #5Scrub Puller2015-03-17 06:33

    Yair . . . Fellers, I just put in about six hours knocking out wattle bushes with a little wheel tractor . . . I'm old and aching and got a crick in my neck. Cheers.

  6. #6Garrie Denny2015-03-18 02:43

    I was only kidding RonG

  7. #7ddigger2015-04-18 18:42

    When I am working in steep country I want the idlers to my rear for the extra length and the weight of the final drives to the front.

  8. #8Garrie Denny2015-04-23 02:54

    Does this rule of thumb also apply to smaller excavators ? Say 5-6-7-8-9-ton with blade attachment at the opposite end to the drive gears, the blade is right in front of the Idlers ?

  9. #9reddot5562015-04-26 18:54

    i was always taught you work over your idlers..but ddigger has a good point

  10. #10cdm1232015-04-26 19:55

    With my 8 ton I will put the blade down hill and use it to level the machine while working, not sure if its "right" or not but seams easier on the swing motor, and me.

  11. #11Garrie Denny2015-04-29 01:15

    cdm123: Iagree with you on the idlers and blade being down hill for the reasons you have stated,seems like a no brainer to me.

  12. #12Garrie Denny2015-04-29 01:21

    Also the extra weight of your blade would be a lot more on a smaller machine than that of the finals.