Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

White Pine Logs

mailtrain ยท 2008-12-13 18:30

These logs were cut in the spring of 2007. We used a 440 JD average one tree to a hitch,a little over 1000 ft to a tree. This is in Northern N.Y.state average age of trees 125-150 yrs old. We only did a thinning of 25 trees. 5000 ft on the loads pictured.Chainsaws used was 2070 Jonsered. Logs were shipped to Canada, average DBH was 42".Trey were to large for any mill locally. Mailtrain

Replies14
  1. #1bigblueox2008-12-13 21:25

    thats wild i'd love to see some more pics

  2. #2mailtrain2008-12-13 22:22

    Sorry Bigblue that was the only three pic's that I have. Mailtrain

  3. #3PSDF3502008-12-14 01:31

    Gotta love pine, it adds up quick:drinkup

  4. #4nedly052008-12-14 08:01

    Great pics mailtrain! Gotta love logging, I just did some work on my skidder getting ready to cut wood, doesnt look like there is going to be much of a pine market which stinks because where I cut is 5 miles to the mill. I guess I will cut a lot of firewood and have plenty for a few years, but hopefully I can talk someone into buying my wood! Where abouts are you up here?

  5. #5mailtrain2008-12-14 15:11

    PSDF350; Yes they do add up quickly. Would rather cut hardwood. Nedly05 Located in southern St.Lawrence Co.Between Tupper Lake and Harrisville.I hear you on the pine market, even hardwood is hard to sell for a good price. The cherry prices two years ago spoiled everyone. I don't do this for a living any more. Just helped my cousin cut them,do cut my own fire wood about 25 cord a year.Did work in the woods from 73-93. That was in the Tupper area and Old Forge(Big Moose area) International Paper. Nice wood back then.Hard to believe there was beech 5foot on stump. Hard maple that was 3 to 4 foot almost virgin timber. The good ole days. Mailtrain

  6. #6nedly052008-12-15 14:19

    I've been through that area quite a few times headed for I-81, nice country out through there. The wood business is a lot different than it used to be for sure!

  7. #7woodchuck22008-12-15 18:52

    The only way to find wood that size around here is to go on state land and we all know what happens if you do that. Every so often someone will find some older growth around here but it isnt often. I keep seeing guys buying new skidders and new log trucks but IMO logging is a dieing career around here. I dont know how some of these guys do it. There is still big wood left up North where you fella's are but hopefully the cutters are select cutting. Very few guys select cut here, rape is more like it.

  8. #8Wolf2008-12-15 19:48

    awesome logging pictures. 125-150 isn't old growth though, I guess that land was logged before, huh?

  9. #9nedly052008-12-16 05:46

    That would be old growth around here, like mailtrain said at one time they were cutting maple and beach 5' on the stump, one half that size now is a monster, unless like woodchuck said you are on state land, all of the state land in the Adirondack park is protected against any logging, there is a "forever wild" policy in place to prevent any such forest maintenance. Places I have hunted still have some old growth where you just stand there in aw looking at huge trees, but most of what is state now was cut in some capacity before it became protected so even old growth on state is rare.

  10. #10Steve Frazier2008-12-16 12:50

    The Adirondack Region was first logged in the early 1800s both for lumber and to make coke for the thriving iron ore industry in the area. I've been to the Adirondack Museum on Blue Mountain and they have a real educational display on both industries there. It's pretty impressive to find logs the size that Mailtrain came upon, they practiced clear cutting in the early days of logging, not too much old growth survived.

  11. #11mailtrain2008-12-19 22:18

    Steve; There are a few pine like that load right around here. I have one across the road thats close to 48" maybe 85'. It will be cut soon the power company marked it as a danger tree. Try to get some pic's when they do it. Mailtrain

  12. #12KevD8152008-12-20 19:45

    Cool pics! We dont get to see any of that here in central connnecticut Its all land clearing and we've had a ton of it in my town. New developments were popping up like crazy until the economy took a dive...

  13. #13woodchuck22008-12-29 14:13

    Years ago when i worked at Gore MT Ski area i remember coming acrossed an old Maple tree that was at 5'-6' acrossed the butt. 3 grown men had trouble reaching around it together. It was straight as an arrow for a good 30' with no limbs. How tall it was i dont know but it was big. I dont know if it still stands or not.

  14. #14mms133502012-05-31 16:21

    I haven't read through all of the posts but I read a few and decided this would be a good place to post this: I'm looking to build and adirondack style Lean-to. I'm looking for raw logs (Cedar, White Pine or Hemlock) - not sawn, kiln dried or planed - in the following sizes: (5) 9"dia. x 16'-0" (10) 9" dia. x 12'-0" (10) 9" dia. x 10'-0" (1) 14" dia. x 16'-0" (3) 6" dia. x 16'-0" (7) 5" dia. x 16'-0" If this is something that any of you can provide me with, could you e-mail ( [email protected] ) me a quote including shipping to De Peyster, NY? Thanks