Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

White Smoke in Kubota KX161-2

Beckbenj ยท 2023-11-11 21:13

Hi All, Recently acquired a KX161-2 and noticed it was low on coolant. I haven't owned this machine for very long, only ran for no more than an hour. I topped off the coolant (was about 1/2 gallon low) and started the machine up from dead cold. As soon it starts up, a large amount of sweet smelling white smoke is coming out of the exhaust. I shut it down immediately and check the radiator. It looks as though the level had dropped and the overflow can was full (was completely empty to start with). I check the oil, it's within range and not overfull. At this point I decide to remove the cylinder head and check the gasket and see if there is evidence to a blown head gasket. It seems that there is oil and coolant mixed along the edge of the engine where the pushrods go into the block to the lifters. I'm thinking this is where the gasket failed but looking for a second opinion on if this looks like a failed gasket. I will also be checking the cylinder head and block for flatness (spec is max of .002") and will be having the cylinder head pressure tested at a local engine shop. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Attached pictures are of the engine block.

Replies3
  1. #1Beckbenj2023-11-11 21:14

    Here are a few pictures of the cylinder head...

  2. #2Beckbenj2023-11-11 21:38

    Looking at the cylinder head a little closer, it looks like there is leakage from coolant passages into both middle cylinders (circled red). Am I looking at this correctly?

  3. #3Beckbenj2023-11-17 12:48

    After cleaning it up more, looks like the head as the common crack near the combustion chamber and valves. Looks like a new cylinder head is in order.