Komatsu PC 228US-3NO I just went and look at this machine the auction ends tomorrow everything is really good that I can tell except for after running a half an hour or so when the throttle went from an idol to wide-open there was white smoke not an overwhelming amount of white smoke but enough that it was still white say 10 feet out of the stack. Temperature is 50° Outside. And the machine was just barely warmed up because I could still stick my finger in the radiator and the oil lines were also just lukewarm. It has a new water separator and fuel filter on it. Trying to figure out what might be wrong with the machine as far as a most likely cost? It has 10,400 hours on it. The oil was clear like it had just been changed the antifreeze was green Bro that I can detect.
The smoke will have either a diesel or burned oil smell. Also, is the smoke steady or is it puffing? How is the engine power?
Unfortunately I did not attempt to smell the smoke the engine seems to have good power I was not able to dig a big ditch or anything pretty much just curl the bucket is the biggest load I was able to put on it I did handle a fair amount of loose rock removing it from one Kyle to another. Do you have a video of the smoke but I’m not sure if I have a good enough Internet to load it I will try.
Smoke can come from several different things. A turbo oil leak, coolant into the combustion chamber, valve guides, bad fuel injectors, lack of compression, worn oil control rings, head gasket, etc.........the smell and color (white and a white with a hint of blue, black, etc..) and the way the engine runs under stall can eliminate a few and narrow the search for the problem.
Does it look like this and this much?
If it does I dam sure wouldn’t buy it!
You are a blessed man! Smoke can be deceiving. Oil bleeding from a turbo in a fine mist can be whitish gray smoke. It is being feed into the cylinder and burned. That is unlike oil past cylinder problems that likely also have lower compression and higher oil consumption. A couple of odd examples are: The F model Mack with a 290 Cummins. It was poring white- gray smoke, a guizer in the sky k like a tractor puller. and the shop had me rebuild the turbo. Take it back to the truck and put it on. No change and they told me I messed up the turbo rebuild. Found someone had put a silicone hose on the oil return line. The inside of a 3/4 hose was smaller than a pencil. Found a piece of old garden hose on the job sight. Smoke cleared right up. Had an other with a stopped up air filter. Thrifty company only replaced air filters by restriction gauge. Gauge was bad and they had me replace the turbo first. A local running M11 had would pour odd colored smoke at times. Then clear up for weeks at a time. We had checked everything and the charge air cooler boots were dry. I happened behind it one day when it decided to role smoke. It was whitish gray but the oil smell was unmistakable. Then it cleared up just like it started. Turbo fixed that very odd problem. At auction pencil in a overhaul and hope to get lucky.
Tenwheeler. You thing there's a 50/50 chance it needs an overhaul or 90/10%? I don't have time to go back in am before auction ends. It is what i am looking for except that smoke.
If your ok with spending say.....another 10K on top of the purchase price....Then buy it. We can help you fix anything here!
this is a video of the smoking it's 7 seconds long. The machine was at an idle after running it for 30 minutes or so with no noticeable smoke then i turned it to full throttle and the smoke was immediate and steady. I ran it about 30 seconds more and it was steady the whole time until i shut it off. When the machine was started cold it smoked for 5-10 seconds then cleared up initially also.
I do not know that paticular machine. You would have to back up to a 200 or maybe 220 for me to know anything about them. Kind of with Vetech63 but I do not thank you could build a Komatsu for $10,000.
I see nothing of concern in my 7 second clip.
I though I saw a puff or 3. That is possibly just a injector or 2 that isn’t atomizing properly.
Well I'm going with 90-10 it's ok or less than a few thousand to repair. Thanks for the help fellas.
Well, I didn't buy it. I got nervous with the high hours and it was bringing enough I would not be able to put much in it to fix it. Thanks. I bought a Sany SY235LC. Cross your fingers for me, should be here next week.
Yikes!!!!