I have a tractor that has been sitting and thought of doing this to it. What type of bed is this? Looks great for hauling.
I don't have one, but know a few companies that do have them. Also I sold a truck quite few years ago that they converted to a ramp truck. Most of the companies around here that have them use them on the septic installation side of their business. They haul a backhoe on them, and some of them have a pipe rack that is built over the cab of the truck. This way they can get to the job with almost everything they need, with the exception of having someone dumping a load of rock for them. Since I'll be going by their yards later today, I will stop and snap some pics.
Thanks, my grandapa has been in the septic/cement work work 55 years, and im starting to take the ropes. He has a cat 780,2 580 back hoes, cat 955, 2 D8's, 9 septic trucks, single axle dump....alot of other toys lol. What size bed is that?
Check out this members posts, he custom built that truck!
Here you go. Caught the third one on the street on the way home.
The forst pictuer is ramp trucks for sewer pipe install. They run mini excavators on them and dig sanitary or storm sewers. The Tandum whiter truck is a dozer hauler. See the extra ribs in the ramps. So the dozer don't slip going up. The third also looks to be dozer minded. Bet the tare weight on that is close to 28,000!
I think thats a slick Idea. I bought an old trailer with the thoughts of building a truck like that. I was just going to cut the tongue and axles off and figure a way to mount it on the frame of a tractor.
Nope. The trucks in the first pic only haul backhoes on them 100% of the time. The last two trucks haul backhoes probably 95% of the time, and very rarely you might see a dozer or mini-ex on them. I drive by these guys shops every day and have known the people at these companies most of my life. The last truck "Leonard and Sons" I went to school with the sons.
Thanks for posting the link Pecord Exc, that's cool as hell.
I wouldn't do it with air ride, unless it was something like Hendrickson or something that was severe duty. I have seen trucks like that also, but keep in mind you're sort of limited in what you can haul, because most of the weight will be on the rear axles and with some of the "bridge" laws they might be able to slap more fines on ya.
why not just get a low boy? At least you can haul bigger stuff on the side for other people if you wanted.
We bought a dealership 2 years ago that had a truck similar to this. They could haul 2wd or small MFWD tractors, balers, and other small equipment as long as it was not wide. Combines or 4WD tractors were completely out of the question, which meant I had to go up there and haul a lot of equipment that they could not handle. These trucks feel kind of 'tippy' to me when loaded. I like having heavy stuff on the belly of my double drop, it feels much more stable.