Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Who is your go to for Detroit after market rebuild parts?

Vetech63 · 2019-02-27 08:02

The vendor I had here forever has quit doing business since my last Detroit inframe. I'm looking for a new, reliable source. What say you? I have a 6V92T to quote for a county here.

Replies34
  1. #1thepumpguysc2019-02-27 08:19

    W.W. Williams..

  2. #2funwithfuel2019-02-27 22:27

    We used to use K-C back in the 80s. I had good luck with them. They used to be very competitive w DD as far as product variety. That said , what once was good, may still be, or maybe not.? Hope this helps. Good luck

  3. #3RZucker2019-02-27 22:48

    I used to have good luck with both K-C and IPD parts. I used a McBee kit a few years back on a 71 and the standard liner fits were all over the place. Not impressed. But I used a McBee kit in a farm truck with a 3406B and it all went together great and still is running good.

  4. #4Vetech632019-02-28 17:16

    I have tried several so far but no one seems to be able to supply an inframe kit for a 2 stroke Detroit. It kind of shocks me that there are not more companies supplying aftermarket parts for these as many that are still in use. I used the Perfect Circle and sealed Power brands in the past, but haven't had a distributor for them here in years. I'm still looking!

  5. #5funwithfuel2019-02-28 18:28

    Perfect circle and sealed power/TRW victor-Reinz are all under federal mogul umbrella. Just like Holley owns all things gas performance. It's weird, their really is no competition, it all goes to the same corporate head.

  6. #6funwithfuel2019-02-28 18:34

    https://www.agkits.com/Detroit-Dies...gFik-irHaFE33tKSxkhoCgFUQAvD_BwE#.XHhu-h5MEwA What about these guys, have no personal experience but seem like reasonably priced in frame kits. They fine tune it too , by pistons, rods n mains. I just dont know anything about FPDiesel products to say good or bad, just a resource.

  7. #7thepumpguysc2019-02-28 19:48

    FP is good.. EVERYBODY that I know that deals w/ Detroit's, have a BIG SIGN or notice that states> WE WILL NOT RESTOCK ANY 2 STROKE D.D. PARTS.. The older parts are so hard to look up, if u call up or come in w/ your own part numbers & "find out later" its not the correct part.. U EAT IT.. Even the engine serial #'s are incorrect some/most of the time.. so if u have the counter guy look them up & the parts are "not right".. SORRY, they're YOURS.

  8. #8td25c2019-02-28 21:18

    Had a similar situation . Outfit we normally dealt with no longer in business . Called a local truck parts supply house and gave them the block number & CPL , was working on a 855 Cummins . Kit showed up and was a PAI brand . No complaints on cost or the kit itself . https://www.dieselrebuildkits.com/manufacturers-spotlight/pai-industries-manufacturers-spotlight/ Everything fit as it should and the Cummins is Great Again . I see they even got kits for Detroit's . https://www.dieselrebuildkits.com/s...ame-overhaul-rebuild-kit-detroit-diesel-6v92/

  9. #9RZucker2019-02-28 22:16

    PAI has done me well on an N-14 overhaul. It's been running hard 6 days per week with zero problems.

  10. #10kshansen2019-03-01 09:24

    Like others have said K-C was great back in say the 1980 now do they even still exist? One thing I would be very careful about with older engines, maybe more so with those like the 53/71/92 series Detroits and the 855 Cummins, one should not put too much faith in the numbers on block or tags on valve covers. Sure if you know the full history on them that might work but those engines may have been used in several different applications over their lives. Same even goes for some Cat engines! I know of one 3306 that spent the first part of it's life as a engine in a genset and the last part of it's life as the replacement for a Waukesha Gas job in a Bucyrus-Erie truck crane! Then there is the 4-71 two valve engine that ran a NorhWest crane for many years and ended up as a four valve PTO engine powering a jaw crusher! At least the only real change to that one was replacing the two valve head with the four valve head!

  11. #11Vetech632019-03-01 10:46

    PAI told me no go on 2 stroke parts. I found a place in Oregon that says they can get it...….Im waiting on price and availability.

  12. #12Wytruckwrench2019-03-01 11:01

    I have used PAI on 14, 855 and N14 Cummins, and 9 Mack’s. No problems yet.

  13. #13Vetech632019-03-01 17:05

    I'm needing 2 stroke Detroit parts.

  14. #14RZucker2019-03-01 18:21

    Talk to a good heavy duty engine machine shop. They will know where to look. Honestly I haven't touched a 2 stroker for a good 5 years as far as an overhaul.

  15. #15crane operator2019-03-01 21:57

    American fleet in Springfield Missouri has always done my 2 stroke work. They did a inframe on a 6-71 for me and have worked on my 6v-92. They are a old bus repair place, and have a couple old guys that know 2- strokes.

  16. #16Vetech632019-03-03 09:04

    Even the diesel engine machine shop I have used for 30 years isn't carrying them anymore . They told me they haven't machined anything on any 2 stroke Detroit in over 5 years. There is thousands of these engines just around here...…….you cant tell me NO ONE carries after market rebuild piston kits? ………..anywhere? Even the Oregon company hasn't called me back yet. If I have to quote genuine OEM parts the price on this is going to be insane.

  17. #17Junkyard2019-03-03 09:08

    I was thinking bus or marine.....but that still doesn’t give me a name for stuff. You might call Lester at Inalnd. Maybe from his days at east tulsa truck he’d know. Or talk to John in the shop. He’s sharp.

  18. #18Vetech632019-03-03 09:11

    Lester and Lonnie aren't there any longer...…….they were the first I thought of when I was originally looking at this to quote.

  19. #19Vetech632019-03-03 09:11

    They also told me PAI is where they get their kits...…….which told me they don't carry 2-stroke kits any longer.

  20. #20Wes J2019-03-03 09:13

    You might try Reliance Power Parts in Indiana.

  21. #21Vetech632019-03-03 09:16

    On their website...………….60 series only. I looked them up last week.

  22. #22Vetech632019-03-03 09:17

    I'm beginning to see a HUGE business opportunity in these engines! LOL

  23. #23crane operator2019-03-03 09:18

    http://www.americanfleetinc.com/engines-and-parts.html I always go to them, they are the only ones around here that know what they are working on. Talking to the actual Detroit / MTU dealer, as soon as I say two stroke, their eyes kind of glaze over and get a far away look in them. Talk to Danny. Last time I was up there, they said they had enough parts to build several engines. It won't be cheap, but they at least know what they are doing. Last time I did head gasket/ fire rings on a 6-71 in my shop, the guy I had do the overhead/ rack had it all jacked up and I just drove it up there and had them set it. (417)- 865-4420

  24. #24Vetech632019-03-03 09:20

    I will give them a call Monday. Thank You.

  25. #25Junkyard2019-03-03 09:34

    Well phooey. Let’s go into business!

  26. #26Vetech632019-03-03 09:35

    Dam, we may! As many Detroit 2 strokes as there are around us...……..if we can get good parts prices, we can start a show!

  27. #27Junkyard2019-03-03 09:57

    I’m all in! It surprises me that aftermarket stuff is getting hard to find. Those old booger’s are everywhere!

  28. #28Theweldor2019-03-03 09:59

    I know nothing about this outfit. Just came up on an add. Heavydutykits.com Might be worth a look.

  29. #29td25c2019-03-03 10:57

    They show 1000 available kits . https://www.heavydutykits.com/Series-92-Parts-Rebuild-Kits/Detroit-Diesel-6V92-Rebuild-Kit

  30. #30Vetech632019-03-03 12:19

    I found them yesterday. I'm going to give them a call Monday also. Thank you for throwing that out there!

  31. #31td25c2019-03-03 13:39

    Thewelder posted it , I just looked it up . I'm interested as well because we still run 11 Detroit Diesels in trucks & equipment . What I found interesting was the similar branch locations of the two companies that offered Detroit kits . Both main offices in Florida . https://www.heavydutykits.com/national-locations https://www.dieselrebuildkits.com/locations/ Wonder if there was a merge of some kind ?

  32. #32old-iron-habit2019-03-03 21:06

    Try Northern Engine and Supply in Duluth, MN. I have not bought anything for a year or so but they knew their stuff and have had a huge stock of parts. They also have tons of old Detroit engines and parts, clutches, bellhousings etc. on hand. There are two store locations, you want the one on the hill when they answer. I could only find one number listed for the two locations. 218-628-2836.

  33. #33Vetech632019-03-07 07:03

    1st I called was HDkits, they had them in stock. I will keep the other names here for future reference. Thank to all!

  34. #34Tyler d4c2019-03-11 23:15

    Contact Hissinger diesel service in middleburg Pennsylvania they will fix you up.