Does any one know who built this truck/excavator? It is my understanding that someone built them for some railroad, not sure about that.
Deere might have built that.Some manufactures will but the truck then mount the machine on it.Something to do with liability.Truck and machine have to be matched together work wise.
i bet u could bend that truck up without working at it too much!
OOOO that has trouble written all over it a 5 ton truck with a 10 ton hoe on it with out the uc maybe down to 8 looks kinda home made to me I would like to see it work might make you pucker up if you were over the side
o Nvm it is a deere 80lc so maybe without the uc you could make 5 tonnes
I bet this thing has ZERO stability, wonder whos idea it was in the first place? Doesn't really look like a railroad rig, because there are no visible rail wheels.
Truckavator! Awesome!
Found an ad for one online. http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com/find/listing/2000-JOHN-DEERE-80-EXCIVATOR-TRUCK-MOUNT-96649010 http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com/find/listing/photos/96649010/
I see what looks like outriggers on the back. That would make it nearly equal to a rubber tired backhoe, but able to go down the highway. Alright for a utility company or something.
Someone said there was a company somewhere in the eastern part of US that made them. They had made a few of these from what I understand for the Railroad dont know what they used them for, maybe a jackhammer or something like that.
truck mounted excavators were quite common around here in the late 50's thru mid 70's...but got to point you couldn't axle them up enough to meet most bridge laws. my dad had quite a few of them thru the years..he just ordered the machines from the dealer less undercarriage...and dealership mounted to truck he furnished. they definitely had the good points..like if you were doing jobs on different sites daily, but were a pain in the spring time when frost came out of the ground, or after a rain, they got stuck pretty easily, and if the hoe wouldn't get them out, you KNEW you were down. there's 2 of the units my father owned on the thread "first generation excavators"....
i would be willing to bet a utility had that truxcavator. would be kinda handy for repairs in the street. if a railroad had it, it would only be usable at road crossings.
Photoshop...?
wow you cant buy a Backhoe for that price !! only 17,ooo
I think that would be a great water or gas emergency repair machine. Can get to the job faster then a backhoe, dig faster, and load a tri-axel alot easyer. Mount a carrier for a hammer and you have a great machine.
a few of these sold on Ebay in the last few months , I dont know anything more then that sorry.
ive seen ugi gas run something like that in south central pa. They were just backhoes atached to the trucks though, not excavators. There are several warner-swazey & bantam machines on machinery trader based off a truck chassis, some alot bigger than that rig. I'd take one based off a 5 ton army truck or a unimog so it had some mobility.
Looking at how far that front bumper sticks out, I could picture a HiRail kit mounted there. Several things I was going to say already got said since I forgot to finish and send this last night, so I'll leave you with more pictures of truck-mounted excavators. (from http://www.industrymayhem.com/ and http://dozerdeals.com/234840/john-deere-80-excavator-mounted-on-2000-gmc-topkick/ )
OK... Well maybe it's not trick photography- but it still doesn't look right to me. That machine mounted on a truck of that size, with what looks like very little or no stabilization, is at best shoddy. At least get a larger chassis with a minimum of 4 stabilizers. I think a full bucket over the side would be awful tippy.
I always wondered about how a excavator would like and what size you would be able to mount on a f-350 size truck. That rig looks like it would be great for water main or gas main work on the street. But I would definitely want 4 outriggers and 4 wheel drive.
dont show this to my boss he will order 10 to save on lowloaders lol
I wonder if the creator of that little critter is related to the guy who built this?
the military uses one on a unimog chassis
Well at least this looks more practicable!
You can put most anything on a Gm frame and still have a good looking truck. The last machine looks like its fixed in one position unless the fenders swing.
I like the op's rig the best. Alco's rig looks harder to manouver and worse yet you don't have as much swing. Also I think the truck might be too heavy for the backhoe to move around. With the deere 80, you can see some stabilizers there just behind the mud flaps, should be just as stable as a wheeled excavator. I have seen some where they used the truck pto to power the hoe and saved a second motor that way.
Northen Ill Gas NIGAS in Chicago areas built a few of these. We built a similar unit for doing road bores with a missle and a compressor. Show up with one truck dig pits on both sides of the road un-coil a hose drop the missle and take a nap.
There is a truck very similar to this running around Milwaukee. I see it every couple weeks on my commute to work. ISZ
I see also a great tailgater deterrent. LOL.