Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Who makes this dump body?

MEENGREEN ยท 2007-09-19 16:25

Does anyone have any info at all on the manufacturer of this dump body? It is on my 1967 F350. I know it really isn't heavy machinery but I am coming up dry trying to find any info on this and thought the members here would know if anyone did. I've been told it is a better than average design and probably was a top of the line unit. I never seen another one like it. Most have the cylinder connected directly to the body. Mine has some sort of fulcrum set up. Does anyone have any info at all on this type of set up? Thanks in advance for anything you guys can tell me.

Replies15
  1. #1digger242j2007-09-19 17:38

    The only time I've seen a setup like that was on a military surplus dump bed. That one was larger, but the roller setup looks similar. The bed I'm remembering was able to tip almost vertical.

  2. #2surfer-joe2007-09-19 22:29

    Old time dump trucks had this type of set up for years. In those days a five yarder was a big truck. I can't help you with an exact manufacturer tho, those things even pre-date me by a few years. I'm guessing, after a few minutes thought, that your hoist might be a Galion or a Perfection. The bed will probably hold a couple of yards heaped. These old hoists were fast up and down, but if you loaded real heavy to the front they sometimes had a little trouble getting it up.

  3. #3MEENGREEN2007-09-20 12:34

    Yup, it goes almost straight up! Your right. If it is forward loaded it has a hard time lifting. Thanks guys.

  4. #4catdieselpower2007-09-20 16:48

    I dunno if they'll have the answer or not but you might try http://www.fordification.com - they deal with 67-72 fords specifically so someone there might know what box it is. If not its a great place to find info on your truck, i have a 69 f250 myself :thumbsup

  5. #5kamerad472007-09-20 17:10

    That looks like a Creesi body (no longer in Business). I had one like with 2 piston on 70 autocar. Keep it gease good can't get parts for it anymore!

  6. #6OneWelder2007-09-20 17:49

    There was also GarWood , Marion and whole lot of others that don't come to mind. ON A lot of them you were suppose to have a chain to kept them from going over center when you raised the body

  7. #7OneWelder2007-09-20 18:15

    I posted to quick I doubt that you will be able to find any of these business's still in business I also suspect the dump frame is older then that truck. Heil is another Man. guessing I would lean towards GarWood or Heil, Thats only A guess though Are you looking for parts or just info.

  8. #8LowBoy2007-09-20 20:43

    OneWelder's got a good point about the body camming over center. I have a 1977 F-350 out back with this same setup that I'm getting ready to cut off that chassis, and put it together on a 1993 F-350 I just picked up. I'll see if I can find any ID at all on it shortly. When I used it on the '77, it would go up to a certain point and then violently cam over center if you weren't paying attention (and sometimes even if you were...) It definitely should have a chain to limit the amount of travel. I drove a DM 600 Mack dumptruck in another lifetime that had that setup, and once with 25 tons of hotmix on while dumping into the Barber-Greene paver, it did just what we're talking about, and not only filled the hopper with unwanted asphalt, but the ground in front and sides of the paver, too. Suddenly there was 3 very irate Portugese laborers waving their shovels and fists at me, but I couldn't control it no matter how hard I wanted to.

  9. #9digger242j2007-09-20 21:01

    It looks like a double acting cylinder though. Power down as well as up?

  10. #10MEENGREEN2007-09-21 10:57

    Who is that??!! I am over there on a daily basis. I have almost 4000 posts there. You may know me as 71 LONG BED.:drinkup

  11. #11MEENGREEN2007-09-21 11:08

    I'm just looking for info right now. Just some kind of history. I like to know what I got, know what I mean? :wink2 If it is power down, it isn't working right. Not sure if it is or not. It starts off so fast it sprays a mist of oil out from around the cylinder.

  12. #12kamerad472007-09-21 16:24

    Fixing the cyinder is nothing take it out & get it repacked it's the arms that are trouble if they break or bend you're in trouble! If it is going down slow or jerking you may need to bleed the air out !

  13. #13Ford LT-90002007-09-21 20:51

    If that hoist system fails you always can retrofit a scissor hoist to work.

  14. #14OneWelder2007-09-22 22:02

    I think it was mostly military applications that had power down, so doubtful if your dump body has that option.

  15. #15OneWelder2007-09-23 10:53

    If it is power down, it isn't working right. Not sure if it is or not. It starts off so fast it sprays a mist of oil out from around the cylinder A lot of the older pistons had adjustable glands on the piston Rod before adj. take a file and smooth any high spots on cylinder rod, also any deep scratches can be temporally repaired with liquid steel (depending on situation will last from awhile , to one I repaired over 20 yrs ago) If cyl. has adj. gland seals there will be flange around piston rod with two studs sticking out, tighten nut slightly, raise and lower a few times and repeat tighten - do not over tighten and do not tighten a lot a once