Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

WHO operated one of these?

stock ยท 2008-10-01 23:48

Who operated one of these ?

Replies56
  1. #1coopers2008-10-02 02:34

    Good lord that is hideous looking!

  2. #2nedly052008-10-02 05:15

    I never ran it but the town where I live had one for years, its an old JCB, probably has a side shift boom on it.It is ugly!

  3. #3RocksnRoses2008-10-02 07:10

    A bloke here had one, in fact I think he might still have it. He used to use it for digging trenches for plumbing work and pits for septic tanks and soakages. Rn'R.

  4. #4EddieWalker2008-10-02 07:48

    What is a soakage? Thanks, Eddie

  5. #595zIV2008-10-02 08:38

    I think he means something like leachfields.

  6. #6RocksnRoses2008-10-02 08:57

    Here, where houses are not connected to common effluent systems, rural properties, etc., the effluent is piped into an underground septic tank, usually a concrete tank with a partition in it and then the overflow is piped in to a soakage pit. The size of the pit depends on the amount of people living in the dwelling and the ability of the soil to soak up the water, which is determined through soil tests. Inverted troughing is laid along the floor of the pit, covered with about a metre (3ft) of 50mm soakage rock, then it is covered with geotextile, filled with soil and levelled off. As the water drains through the rock, bacteria helps to break everything down, if the system is working properly. These days with the shortage of water people are installing Envirocycles which use a series of pumps to aerate and treat the water so that it can be recycled on to the garden. I hope that answers your question Eddie, and here a couple of pics that might explain it a bit better. And not to totally hijack Stock's thread, the tank was installed, using a later model JCB 4CX. Rn'R.

  7. #7surfer-joe2008-10-02 13:13

    JCB. Junk Coming from Britain. In 1974 a dealership I was working for in Florida made a huge mistake by deciding to take on these mechanical disasters. We initially brought in two machines for demonstrations, equipped with the sideshifts and all just like in the picture. We sent one mechanic in for factory training on repair and maintenance, then had to send two more when the first fella refused to work on the beasts anymore. The latter two soon quit and we parked the machines in the back of our Fort Lauderdale yard where no one could see them. Bamford himself visited us soon after the two units first arrived and remarked that his machines would take America by storm. Both machines we had were beset by problems large and small, mostly hydraulic in nature. They were underpowered for the American market and slow.

  8. #8MKTEF2008-10-02 13:51

    Well, my dad got one still going strong. His has a telescoping stick.(and good paint) He's got a snowremoving bucket for it too.(his main use is/was snowremoval) And has made a complete new excavating bucket for it. I've spent some time in it... It got its strong and weak sides. 2wd on a machine like that is just not a good choise in sand. Excavator is so trong u pull the machine when its rised on the outriggers and the bucket. My dads bucket is around 400l and huge compared to the old one. Handles it like nothing. Bad brakes though, theyre to smal for the weight of the unit. And his has a big concrete slab on the front bucket, to keep the front wheels down..

  9. #9OneWelder2008-10-02 13:55

    I had one of about that vintage,but not that exact model . I bought it and a 955 from the bank -sold it as it as quick as I could. I never quite got used to it - it always seemed awkward to run. Mine had a perkins motor- and when I got it everything to do with the hoe leaked, elec. sys. was not much better. Was not bad on fuel- but a real pain to refuel Once I went through and fixed all initially problems it ran trouble free well past the time I sold it - also it had an easy life

  10. #10tonka2008-10-02 20:03

    short people...................

  11. #11stock2008-10-02 23:33

    i have well where do i start what was goo d about it? it had a cab and the wheels went around ,it would dig as good as an excavator (of that era) that about it.Also it had bad steering ,bad brakes , it was faster to load a truck with the digger than the front bucket ,it was based on a fordson major skid unit so was under powered too heavy so when taken off sealed ground it got stuck ,the cab was large and spaceious so it was nearly impossible to see out of it , I is a JCB 3 of the sixty vintage ,Havent seen one for a while so when I crossed on this one in reasonable good condition (she still runs and works so the owner assured me )it brought back all the memories ps the side shift had to be moved manually open the four bolts set it up lock it up again and keep tightening them uuuuuuuuuuuhhhh stock

  12. #12modelmaker2008-10-03 02:31

    Its a JCB 3C made in 1964 ..it was at the time state of the art, based on a fordson major skid steer unit, it had what you call a side shift king post, and yes you had to undo 4 large bolts to shift the king post across the frame ..it had a digging depth of nearly 14 ft, but it was the first of the "3C" range that sold in their thousands in the UK and Europe, but it was what most of us old ones started our working life on .. its bigger brother was perhaps more to the American market..the JCB 4C, the bottom picture is the old 3C taken from the rear of the machine

  13. #13OneWelder2008-10-03 11:01

    It was long time ago when I had one -but it had a door on the left and sliding window on right, cab was white if that makes any difference.- I had thought it was a 3c but like i said - long time ago and your right visibility was poor I think hoe was a little bigger also

  14. #14modelmaker2008-10-03 11:08

    Ahhh you mean a 1974 onwards 3C mk2 or 3D mk2 ..like these two

  15. #15MKTEF2008-10-03 11:33

    Looking at your pics, i see that my dads is a 3D mk2 with a extending dipper. Shifting it sideways is a lever in the cab that losens the bolts.(hydraulic tension) Then u use the arm and slide it sideways. I have problems understanding how they can be driven without yhe concrete slab on the frontbucket.. There is nearly zero weight on the front wheels..

  16. #16modelmaker2008-10-03 12:09

    For sure the weight was at the rear of the machine, but was not a problem on site, traveling on the road was simple, all the spare digging buckets were placed in the bucket, and a 45 gallon drum of diesel, but it still bounced along though .. but you got used to it Martyn.

  17. #17d4c24a2008-10-03 12:57

    when knocked out of cog on a good downhill runs things could get a bit scary

  18. #18modelmaker2008-10-03 13:04

    Now that was fun Graham :naughty, more so when the streering had some play in it ..

  19. #19stock2008-10-03 15:49

    dam must be gettin old forgot about the road trips down the winding lanes of old eire 30 years ago the buckets and yes the diesel in the barrel in the bucket and the whole constant semi rotation of the steering and of course the whole lack of brakes scept for lowering the front bucket in front of on comming traffic , hilarious , over a beer I tell you about a rescue of bmw one feburary nite and of course the peelers input stock ps keep an eye onthe excavator thread found something from the same stable that will tell the boys from the granpas

  20. #20biggixxerjim2008-10-03 18:12

    :throwup thats what I think of the thing. And I thought case had some fugly early equipment.......

  21. #21modelmaker2008-10-03 18:50

    Its not built to win a beauty contest but to dig holes an move muck

  22. #22dieseldave2008-10-03 23:26

    Another ugly one Another contender for "ugliest backhoe" is this Ottowa mounted on a 580B. From what I understand the Case was originally a Case-Davis trencher, which would explain the front backfill blade. Somewhere in time the trencher was removed and the backhoe installed in it's place. Note that the operator and control station swings with the boom

  23. #23Rusted2008-10-04 01:21

    Trouble is......it couldn't do that very well either.

  24. #24modelmaker2008-10-04 03:35

    Well it was the best selling backhoe in Europe in the 60's, i have to agree with you in someway though, JCB did sort lose their way a bit, and when Case brought in the 580F in the mid 70's, it did win hands down IMO... and JCB did lose out a lot right up to the introduction of the 3CX in 1980. Here is another machine from the 60's .. the Massey Ferguson 203X ..

  25. #25rockdog2008-10-04 14:49

    She is an old girl.

  26. #26AtlasRob2008-10-04 17:46

    Now thats what I learned on :drinkup Torque converter drive, independant brakes and having passed a test could drive it on the road at 16yrs old. Was it not a 2203? and a 2205? later became a MF40R with backacter controls in cab and a flip over seat. Then graduated to a JCB 3c mk11 spent many an hour with the front bucket turned over for trench backfilling, and a manual gearbox :Banghead that hurt after the torque converter of the **

  27. #27JDOFMEMI2008-10-04 19:46

    I hope whoever came up with that idea got thrown off of one and learned not to build them that way. I also hope the swing was slow. If it would swing anything like a Case hoe, you would not stand a chance of staying on long. It would make for good practice for the rodeo though!

  28. #28Squizzy246B2008-10-04 20:49

    Got any pictures???

  29. #29IH270A2008-10-05 00:11

    I know somebody around here that had one of those , but without a cab on it , he used it in his junk yard buisness ... turning over and removing items ..

  30. #30modelmaker2008-10-05 03:58

    I belive it did become that, when it was based on the massey 135, it had the square type mudguards ..the picture i have put up showed it with a 220 backhoe and 702 loader.. dont foget the backhoe was a Davis design. It was quick if i remember rightly,but not as quick as the Case but i dont recall anyone getting chucked off .. but i do recall some cowboys driving the things not many mind, but a few. Below is a picture of the JCB Hydra/digger with a 65 loadall, it was made in 1957 and was centre mounted

  31. #31torker2008-10-05 09:50

    No pics but I just bought a 1969 MF40 hoe. LOL! I also use it in my junkyard. Thing works great for flipping and hauling old sleds and motorcycles. Russ

  32. #32pcsfd2008-10-05 10:29

    I have a 580 that has a repaired boom on it. I have been told it is dangerous to use. It looks like a strong old repair and I was wondering what anyone's thoughts were on using a boom that has been welded?

  33. #33biggixxerjim2008-10-05 17:20

    please god someone stop!!! These pictures are getting more and more hideous!!!!!

  34. #34modelmaker2008-10-05 17:48

    Oh biggixxerjim behave yourself :drinkup ... i have some more for you First picture is the cab interior of the 1964 JCB 3C, like the one in the original post.. the seat was only used for sitting on when traveling .. you stood up for operating the backhoe,well you could sit down after you have got up and moved the seat round, then you couldnt see much, so it was easier to stand.. the back of the cab lifted up so your head and shoulders could be above the cab top..great for seeing where you are digging.. 2nd pic is of the 3C's smaller brother the JCB3, first seen life in 1962.. again you had to stand up to work the backhoe... 3rd pic is of a updated JCB3 ..this one you could sit down to work the backhoe, and they put a door in the side of the cab so you could get in the cab better, this pic was taken in 1965

  35. #35Countryboy2008-10-06 00:43

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums pcsfd! :drinkup

  36. #36JDOFMEMI2008-10-06 01:10

    Well, That depends on where the weld repair is at. Any pictures or description of it?

  37. #37torker2008-10-06 08:19

    Yup...pictures would be good. I'm a certified weldor and have made a living for years repairing equipment. Booms get welded every day. In fact...they are welded to become booms.. Russ

  38. #38pcsfd2008-10-06 15:36

    Thanks for the reply Russ. I will try to upload some pictures. Take Care

  39. #39Mogcrazy2008-10-06 20:10

    Tlc Man that thing is pretty sweet, you just need to pressure wash it and slap some new paint on there.

  40. #40Mogcrazy2008-10-06 20:22

    Equipment repair Hey Torker, How did you get into the repairing equipment biz? I am a certified welder here in Oregon and we mostly build stuff for commercial buildings (new construction and remodels), but I'm very interested in doing some hard facing work and repairs, what would you suggest to get started? I work for myself and have a couple employees, so I'm not really interested in going to work for someone else to learn how to do this if it really takes that much skill to do. Thanks for the info

  41. #41insleyboy2008-10-06 21:29

    Wow Modelmaker, hope there are no telephone lines or bridge's under 15 feet in height near that tower of a digger!

  42. #42torker2008-10-07 00:27

    How I got into the equipment repair...Long story. Short version.. I started working for a small outfit when I was 16....as an operator. The owner pointed to the old portable..."There's the welder..I think there might be some rods kickin around somewhere. Weld the hinge back on the tailgate of the Ford dumptruck" He couldn't weld so I was expected to learn. Operated for 5 years or so then became really interested in welding. The rest is history. I've operated a lot over the years (mostly cats) but I now own a fab/machine shop. I sorta specialize in bucket repairs and reshaping...a lot of Gradall's right on up to 980 Cat stuff. Lots of guys need buckets repaired. Lots of guys need to be talked into trying hardfacing on their stuff. I was you.. I'd just put word out to some owner/operators that you can do hardfacing for them...the rest will follow. Hope you're up on your stick welding...lotta portable work. Not all of it is nice work tho...lots of crappy old welds to gouge out...lots of grease and grime to deal with. Some of it's very interesting also. Crack repairs on booms using ceramic backing strips etc. Working with T100 to T425 alloys etc using 11018. Don't weld on NOTHING anymore without disconnecting the batteries. Some machines have computers worth $10,000. PM me if you have anymore questions. Russ

  43. #43torker2008-10-07 00:45

    Here's a bit of the bucket reshaping I do. 1" thick T425 bent to shape on a 100 ton press. Good thing to learn in this trade..

  44. #44Bellboy2008-10-07 12:37

    Modelmaker, why i do declare y'all that that JCB with the Hydra/digger was built not for construction purposes, but demolition purposes. That thing could tear down any bridge it drove under faster than TNT.

  45. #45modelmaker2008-10-07 17:52

    Its newer bigger brother was slighty taller at nearly 19ft in traveling position .. was great for doing wheelies Martyn

  46. #46AtlasRob2008-10-08 16:17

    Sorry for the late reply, this thread has sure grown in a couple of days O! no sorry. Well yes there is a picture somewhere of me on it but heavens knows where suspect mum might have it filed away as it has her little tin soldier on it

  47. #47modelmaker2008-10-11 03:02

    Thought i would round this off by showing the complete JCB range in 1964.. from left to right, JCB 1, JCB 2, JCB 3, JCB 3C, and finally the JCB 4C

  48. #48Pelicanroost2008-10-20 22:27

    That kinda looks like that cell phone commercial with the bars. Pel

  49. #49strangehand2008-10-22 06:32

    the wheel excavator from china. http://www.strangehand.cn/bbs/attachments/month_0803/20080303_6fed4d380a17cafbd8d3nCFfktLsJL2E.jpg the style is different from backhoe.

  50. #50strangehand2008-10-22 06:49

    the wheel excavator from china. special..... the right side..... http://www.strangehand.cn/bbs/attachments/month_0810/20081022_d38a18cda8444a3fa738bEde1eX5bnNi.jpg the front side... http://www.strangehand.cn/bbs/attachments/month_0810/20081022_c7f6daabdb4bf81e2331M53xTRvR4UI9.jpg the rear side... http://www.strangehand.cn/bbs/attachments/month_0810/20081022_bc1a80063a7a58658cf71QhjlzWco8yl.jpg

  51. #51Taylortractornu2008-10-22 18:12

    Dad used to operate one of those old ** I think a 30 that you rode the boom. He said he really liked it beacause you always were watching where you were working without having to turn your head. Made it easy to learn on an excavator. I think he was 16 hes now 64. I just bought an ARPS 3 point attachment backhoe that fit a 90 hp tractor. Its got a 20 foot reach and a seat that follows the boom. I may mount it on the fron of an old cotton picker to make a a stand by backhoe when my Mini ex and my Ford are out of pocket. Theres a man here that for years had a 40 ** boom on the back of an old truck for doing city water work and just built another.

  52. #52insleyboy2008-10-22 21:43

    Looks like the JCB 4C was the only one in that group with traditional outriggers. What was the idea about those straight horizonal then straight verticle ones?

  53. #53modelmaker2008-10-23 02:51

    Do you mean the rear frame rails ? That was for the kingpost to slide along, so you could slide the kingpost to any position along the rail.. ideal for working along side walls and obstructions ..and at each end is the jack legs.

  54. #54MXI2008-10-26 10:03

    cool test post one

  55. #55kostas2008-10-28 17:13

    The 1974 3c series was the first backhoe i operated on my granfathers olive farm.i was great for the fields planting new trees or carting goat manower to each of the trees,but when it came to going down hill. . i was always scared for my life. . hahaha. . having the gear box between your legs grinding,bad visability and no brakes the high temp reading also didnt help. . if it was any other make it would of dug its own grave long ago. . . still the 4 in one bucket had the strongest bit in its class!!!so it must have character when a whole country gave the machine the nickname "gourouna"wich means "The Pig"in Greek"

  56. #56andystreetuk2009-08-25 08:51

    we had one of those, a 3C mk 2, great machine, drove like a tank, until one of the front wheels fell off.