Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Who’s Run the Largest Equipment?

Steve Frazier ยท 2004-05-06 07:02

We've got over 150 members now, I thought it might be interesting to learn what the largest piece of equipment everyone has run. Mine would be either an articulated 3 axle off road dump, or a John Deere 844 wheel loader, followed by an olde style Cat D-7. The big iron is sure impressive with the amount of material it can move. I'd like to experience driving one of those super sized quarry trucks shown on The History Channel one time.

Replies101
  1. #1PAYTON2004-05-06 16:46

    job site im on now has a cat shovel 54xx sumthing. a d8 d10 3 triple 7s and a 14g grader ive got a lil time in the seat of the shovel trully massive compared to a track ho the d10 is huge great push cat i can walk a pile dropped by a triple 7 with one pass as far as largest ive ran a 657 once that sob was huge 637s are pretty common around here ive ran a 18 grader that thing makes quick work outta haul roads! let me tell ya. ex 700 track hos are pretty common for loading articualted haul trucks ran a bell truck from brandies with 6 drag pans ran a case track tractor with 6 pans both^ are sluggish as hell. and super weak! im sure ive over looked something but not sure what payton

  2. #2donlang2004-05-06 22:25

    As far as big goes, I've had some seat time on a Komatsu PC-1000 excavator. The first one, and only for an hour or so, had a custom made 10 cy bucket. Quick to load haul trucks with! The second one, which afforded me quite a bit more seat time, was an older one with a standard bucket of unknown size. Dig like crazy, but slow in the boom functions. We were installing 48" dia. RCP about 24' deep. Although big and lunky, it was still much quicker than the newer and faster PC-400s. I've had some time in a 50 ton Payhauler. Simple to drive, all wheel drive in low gear Also had some time on a D-9, but not the newer high drive models.........thats just wishfull thinking for now. The rest of my experience is on various mid size machines.......963, 953, 977, 955, 941, D-8 thru D-3...various backhoes and excavators, graders....compactors, and last year I got a good bit of seat time on a Cat 650 paver (interesting change of pace for a dirt guy!) :usa

  3. #3digger242j2004-05-09 12:05

    The biggest I've been on are a 200 excavator and a 65 dozer, both Komatsu. I've also spent a little time on a Grove 65RT crane--25 ton capacity and about 80 feet of boom, I think. None of those is going to win the prize for biggest, obviously. How about smallest? We rented an excavator once (and I sure wish I could remember the model), that we hauled to the job in the bed of my pickup. It had about an 8" bucket and would've dug about 4' deep, (but I think it might've fallen over into the ditch if you'd tried). It was so small, that rather than sitting *on* it, you flipped the seat around and sort of sat behind it. It did actually crawl around on it's own. I was disappointed that the house didn't actually swing--only the boom. I got a little off balance once and tipped it, so we grabbed it and set it back upright. I shut it off once, and the guy I was working for asked why the machine had stopped. I told him I'd run out of quarters....

  4. #42004F5502004-05-09 13:50

    Well I'm still young but the biggest things i've run are a run a Cat 350BL shovel, a 110 Kawi loader, Cat 980G loader (slick machine), and a Cat D9N. Cat D350E haul trucks too, but there not the biggest around. I would like to operate a CAT 5XXX someday, we'll see. I also ran a Cat 641 scraper once, and for this area its bout the biggest to be found. Its weird but since I usually operate the big stuff I have an urge to try like a Cat 303.5 or something, they look like fun, I guess you always want what you don't have lol... John

  5. #5glsahl2004-05-22 18:38

    We've got two Vermeer T955 trenchers,a Linkbelt 4300Q excavator,and a Kawasaki 90Z 4,as the biggest of our owned equipment.Rented a Liehber 942 excavator,unsure of model #,and a Kawasaki 115 loader,one time things.We rent a Linkbelt 800 LX on a fairly regular basis,short term for deep storm drain work. The Vermeers have 12' booms,and 27" cuts.We own a 5000 lb hydraulic hammer for the 4300,but,the largest bucket we own is a 5' that fits our Cat 235.

  6. #6John DiMartino2004-05-23 23:39

    Ss far as big a Cat D8H. ,thats about it my loader is a toy.

  7. #7BRL2004-05-24 12:07

    I got to run a D-8 once to raze a house. that was fun! Also got to run a decent sized old Terex loader, but have no idea what model it was. It had a 6-8 yard bucket, basing it against loaders I know of now that have 5 yarders. That's the biggest I got to play with, but I can always dream & hope for bigger days of fun...

  8. #8PAYTON2004-05-25 01:58

    few pics of equipment on site now.. these pics were stolen - borrowed from cats web site. i can get actuall pics if need be but there the same thats on site let me know if u want actual pics shovel grader haul trucks

  9. #9triaxle2005-04-07 19:38

    does this count? freight train

  10. #10digger242j2005-04-07 21:31

    If it were put to a vote I'd bet that one would be disqualified--unless you dug a hole with it. As long as the subject of freight trains is on the table, I'll go way off topic. One of our snowplowing accounts is a steel processing plant, and it has a rail siding that crosses the lot and enters the building. This past winter I arrived to plow one night, and there was a locomotive sitting in the middle of the lot. I worked around it, and after a while a second locomotive arrived. The engineers from both locomotives opened some of the panels on the first one, and did some sort of fooling around in there. Then the one engineer went into the cab and started it up, after which they both left. It was a unique experience, in that I've had, or seen, breakdowns in almost all types of construction equipment, but that's the only time I've ever seen a *train* that wouldn't run. I wish I'd had more time, and could've gotten a closer look. It would've been fun to see what makes one of them tick...

  11. #11PSDF3502005-04-08 07:11

    not for digging but pulling trees Cat 518c bable skidder.

  12. #12CT18fireman2005-04-08 07:49

    That's a little odd actually. IF the diesel wasn't running the one locomotive could have provided electrical power to the wheel motors for the one not running. It would not generate the same power but would be movable. If nothing else they could have towed it dead. To be working on it in the snow like that sounds like it was something they knew was fixable. I have learned to be careful plowing around those tracks. Nothing "grabs" a plow edge like a piece of steel track.

  13. #13Electra_Glide2005-04-08 16:17

    Always loved trains ever since I was a kid... Inside of a locomoitive is basically a big generating station on wheels. Big diesel engine (12-20 cylindars) that turns either a generator or alternator. Current is then passed to traction motors located on each axle. Same setup is used in lots of the big haul trucks. A pretty good description of the guts of a locomotive can be found here: http://www.trainboard.com/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/108/t/000014.html As far as the largest piece of equipment I've ever operated, it was a Volvo articulated haul truck. Can't remember if it was an A30, A35, or A40. Didn't have to haul very far, and almost got it stuck in the mud, but it sure was fun... Joe

  14. #14littledenny2005-04-08 19:28

    As a former Commander of the Army's only Diesel-Electric Locomotive Repair Company and a former XO of the Army's only Rail Battalion, I'd vote to let this count. Sure, not a digger, but it sure qualifies as large. I too have had a bit of stick time in a loco, and on a locomotive simulator. That was a blast - was designed on the same 6 degrees of freedom base as a helicopter simulator, and sure felt real. I took 100 cars of coal down a 3% grade on my qualification test, not as easy as you might think.

  15. #159420pullpan2005-05-29 14:30

    i have ran a cat 375, 9520 JD tractor, D8R, Cat 16H grader... check out some of my pics at http://community.webshots.com/user/xbl003x

  16. #16CascadeScaper2005-05-29 14:47

    Biggest thing I've ever run was a Cat 988B loader. Pretty nice machine, they use it at the local pit and when we need gravel on the weekends we load ourselves since there's nobody around. Sitting in that loader makes loading into our dump trailer look like a little toy truck and trailer :laugh

  17. #17Stroker2005-06-21 21:35

    Excavator- Komatsu PC400, Biggest excavator the company I worked for owned. First time assigned a job with this machine I spent 2 weeks in a row loading trucks. Didn't mind because it was July and it had AC. Dozer- Cat D9, used this old relic to push some 641-651? Pans. Its size had me excited for about 5 minutes. Then it was just loud, hot, and really gave the arms and legs a work out just to stear it. Didn't mind one bit when it came time to get off and do the clean up work with the D4.... Loader- Cat 988 rubber tire and Cat 973 track loader Motor Grader- 14H or G? Cant remember the letter.... Just used this grader to smooth out a haul road. So never had a chance to drop the blade down and really take up some soil Scraper (Pan)... Cat 641 I beleive was the model. No paddles, just get the bowl started and a Cat D9 dozer would push you.

  18. #18Grinderminder712005-07-22 02:20

    My favorite tractor isnt the biggest but, I loved the CAT 983 track loader, ( about 83,000 lbs ) with a demo bucket and a single 3 ft ripper.Its a pretty good size for a track loader. I would love to operate a LaTournou wheel loader.

  19. #19pwbsmokey2005-08-02 19:07

    largest equipment I've run Cat D8L with landfill blade, Cat 826 compactor, Cat 14G grader, Cat 988 Loader, Cat 235 hoe, Cat 983 track loader & DJB D350 articulated dump truck.

  20. #20D10R2005-08-10 00:16

    So far, for me the biggest I've run was a Cat 930 loader in a salvage yard. pretty fun to pick up cars and just move em around all day. wish I could do that again, its entertaining to know you can be as rough as you want and not get in trouble for moving a parked car. lol

  21. #21qball2010-01-27 12:51

    this is a neat old thread and i thought i would revive it. manitowoc 4100 series II tower. komatsu pc-650 hitatchi 550 cat d-9 cat-983 cat 988-f so many cat 980's that they are like a bobcat to me now cat 627 cat 140-h a big honkin fmc diesel tower crane i oiled on and got some butt time in. it is funny that i started on a 953 loader but a 973 seems like a bobcat now after being on so many tight sites with them. same with a d-8.

  22. #22Bumpsteer2010-01-27 13:01

    Mostly smaller equipment for me. Although the first excavator I ever ran was an old 50 ton Hydra-unit...with a screaming 8-71 Detroit for power. Ed

  23. #23eRay2010-01-27 14:34

    Coal train. 140 cars 100 tons each. 3 locomotives 3000 HP each. 2 miles long.

  24. #24RocksnRoses2010-01-27 15:28

    Komatsu 475 with a 45 foot scrub rake. RnR.

  25. #25cummins052010-01-27 17:12

    couple 1200 hoes. A D11R 16g grader wana try a 24h. took a spin on a WA800 put alot of hours in on 988s and Wa600s Alberta has to be about the only place you will be asked some day to finish with a D9 lol

  26. #26AmerIndependent2010-01-27 17:50

    Pretty amazing seeing Steve say: as though it's a lot. Compared to today's membership, it's laughable. Great job getting this site to where it is!:notworthy

  27. #27Corona Kid2010-01-27 18:09

    I Have moved Several T-38 Jets For The Korean Air Force 26' Wide, 9,000 Lbs, No Drag Load, I Would Down Load Some Pictures But I Haven't Figured That One Out Yet :drinkup

  28. #28EGS2010-01-27 18:15

    Biggest back-hoe Cat 385 Biggest dozer D10 triple pushing 631G's

  29. #29blowerman2010-01-27 19:28

    Back Hoe- Kobelco SK400 Biggest Dozer Old D8 pushing piles of fill Favorite- D5G finish grading berms.

  30. #30dynahoescott2010-01-27 20:11

    :drinkup:drinkup7400 link belt hoe with a 6 yard bucket, laying 60 inch RCP 20 foot sections 23 feet deep down the middle of a city street in jersey city/ bayonne, 2 boxes not stacked and digging under and over the power lines with that 12v71 detroit screaming. TOUGH JOB

  31. #31Buckethead2010-01-27 20:48

    Dozers- Cat D9L, D9G, D9H Pans- Cat 637, Terex TS-24 Trackhoes- Cat 245, 375, Koehring 1166, B-E 350H

  32. #32barklee2010-01-27 20:58

    Biggest dirt equipment: Cat 350 excavator Biggest boom lift: JLG 135' Biggest crane: 70 or 90t Grove Rt with 150 or so feet of boom cant remember, too busy pooping my pants! Swing stage on train tracks down the side of the wedge atop the ALU insurance building in Indy 595' up. Far left in pic. Suppose thats not a big machine, but its all part of the building

  33. #33Panhandler Bob2010-01-27 21:56

    Hoe: 385 Cat Dozer: D-10 Pan: 637D Loader: 988F Trackloader:973 Grader:16G Compactor:825 Roller:563 Artic truck:A-40 Ridgid truck:773 Farm tractor:CaseIH 7220 :drinkup Bob aka ZZ

  34. #34alco2010-01-28 03:53

    I really don't think mine should count since I work in a mine. Hoe: EX2500, Cable shovel: Bucyrus 495HF, Truck: 797B, Dozer: D11T, Grader: 24M, Hydraulic shovel: RH400. So like I said, it's not fair to the others to compete is this one.

  35. #35EGS2010-01-28 10:02

    I think that you win!

  36. #36stumpjumper832010-01-28 10:43

    If dump trucks, haul trucks, and artics count, So do trains Both machines just move stuff from place to place. Biggest for me is a d8r or a terex ts14G

  37. #37AmerIndependent2010-01-28 11:26

    We drove around a couple 660B's at our yard before we tore them apart...

  38. #38MrKomatsu2010-01-28 13:52

    pc-8000 and the super dozer D575sa

  39. #39MrKomatsu2010-01-28 13:54

    komatsu 930e---wa1200,wa900 and w800-3

  40. #40tonka2010-01-28 14:04

    Largest i ran was a jd 850Dlc, smallest a beach sand shovel!

  41. #41MrKomatsu2010-01-28 14:06

    nice avatar......

  42. #42tonka2010-01-28 14:07

    thanks man:drinkup

  43. #43MrKomatsu2010-01-28 14:09

    :drinkup:drinkup:drinkupRight back at ya tonka.....:drinkup:drinkup:drinkup:usa

  44. #44Eric2010-01-30 11:08

    I'm with you, I work in a mine. P&H 4100A with a 56 yard dipper, D11N and R, Komatsu 475, Komatsu 930E 320 ton truck, Cat 793D 240-265 ton truck, 16M blade, Cat 994F loader, and a Cat 5230 Hydraulic Shovel. We aught to start a mining thread!

  45. #45Dozerboy2010-01-30 18:13

    I ran some big stuff in CA and The old school D10 that later became the D11N. An big O&K excavator that I can't remember the # on but it had a 12yd bucket. Here in East TX the biggest hoe is 50 tons and a dozer is 20 tons.

  46. #46sluggo2010-01-30 19:56

    !0-4 to that I allso wish there way a mining thread here..

  47. #47Koehringman2010-01-30 20:22

    Big machines Me, a Koehring 1066.:usa

  48. #48Wolf2010-01-31 18:44

    no big hoes in Texas? Why do you think the hoes in Texas are smaller, only 50 tons max? I thought everything is bigger in Texas.

  49. #49Lee-online2010-01-31 21:11

    I don't operate equipment, i fix it but i do get to run it and play with it. i have played in d11R, 385c, 777F, 990F, 988G, 836G just to name a few but i have played with most cat equipment. I was recently in a 521, that was really cool.

  50. #50goodearth132010-01-31 22:06

    100 Scrapers Really Move the Dirt In the early 70's I worked at the Chatfield Dam constuction project & I think they had about a 100 scrapers on site most of the time. 631's. 641's, 651's & a string of about 40 657's. I ran all of the different scrapers, but the 57's were really impressive with the amount of dirt that they moved in a 10 hr shift. I think the D9's were as big a pushcat as they had at that time, but sometimes they would tripple hit you from the back on the run. Boy you could jamb 50+yds in that bowl almost before you could get the lip closed. Talk about just being a number on the payroll list. As long as you could get it back & forth & not get in anybody's way they kept you on. Good experience though. C Ya, Patrol Man (Dan) goodearth13 :usa

  51. #51redline2010-02-01 06:55

    D9H D9L D150-A Volvo A35 artics Case W20b Volvo L90D Komatsu pc220-6 New Holland 360hp Forestry Mega Mulcher big BUD 525 with a 24ft drawn grader blade 24ft Drawn Grader Blade (behind a Steiger KP1360) 64ft Scarifier behind the same Steiger

  52. #52Dozerboy2010-02-02 17:26

    There is big Iron in most other parts of TX. The weight mostly the ground is really soft we have a lots of gumbo clay. Once it gets wet your working in 2+ of mud and we get a bit of rain. I think there kind of cheap too. I know lots of guys that think you can do anything with a tinker toy JD450 dozer.

  53. #53hydmech2010-02-02 17:39

    We work on the stuuf. The biggest so far was an EX1200. 8 yd bucket. Twin engine.. Its a monster!!

  54. #54bigrus2010-02-03 07:00

    A Friggstad tractor/laser bucket combination (Big Buds big brother) with 2 671 GM's bolted together pulling 3 20yd3 buckets for land development in 1983

  55. #55MrKomatsu2010-02-03 07:16

    pc8000...........Alcola mine.........small enough?

  56. #56fyrwood guy2010-02-03 09:52

    here's me running & repairin' my big iron :bash hydraulic cylinder needs welding on rear mount & seal kit 1st service in 23 yr of use :notworthy

  57. #57tdozer2010-02-04 19:43

    When i was around 12 years old, I climbed all over a 1466. Does that count? Otherwise, Deere 850D, D8L, TS24 and 637D, Bucyrus 61B Dragline and a whole bunch of 980's.

  58. #58lets move dirt2010-02-05 19:07

    biggest dozers i have operated D10N, also a Fiat/Allis hd40 what a piece of junk, scrapers cat 631/637, blades cat 16g, hoes cat 375,

  59. #59oldseabee2010-02-12 15:28

    I helped build and field test the worlds largest log skidder back in the 70's Clark Ranger 880 had 903 Cummins engine, basically 275 Michigan loader power train. Carco G80 Winch, 13 1/2 foot tilt blade on the front and blade in the back to hold the tractor when winching heavy logs. Made for the far east logging. Most of them ended up pulling choppers over logged out areas. I also ran a 675 Michigan 24 yard loader with twin 1710 Cummins engines 700 HP each. Main Hydraulics used 4 92 GPM pumps, steering used 2 80 GPM pumps. tank held 650 gallons of hyd oil.

  60. #60simonac2010-02-20 22:36

    pretty mutch the same here...i worked in the oil sand of alberta mainly on the rh-400,rh-340,mt6300ac,797,bucy495,p&h4100boss,24h,992,D11,pc1800 just to name a few...think big lolll

  61. #61Eric2010-02-22 09:16

    What's your impression of the 797 and the 24H?? I imagine your road maintenance must be a nightmare with that soft ground.

  62. #62simonac2010-02-22 13:45

    what do you mean impression?? as in operation or machine it self?? cause i dont operate them i repaired them lolll and occasionaly i operate ,mainly to troubleshoot and repaires....they are good machine that work hard as for 797 it all depends on personal preferance of the operator cause i was comparing the 797 to the mt6300ac with the operator and both have good and bad about them,and i dont spend 12 hours a day driving these truck so cant be the best judge...lolll and in the oil sand the ground is one off the worst ennemy even crazyer when wet....the road maintenance is a key element in making the machine and tires survive less bump =less stress on the frame,suspension,articulation,and entire drive train, and the big tire blowout.. and some mine doesent seem to see it that way...as for the 24 h theyr aint any bigger than this but it as all the same issue than its smaller brother,chain drive and circle and bad operator lolll i could go on and on for ever and my trhead is already long enought, hope it is a bit of an anser....

  63. #63coorecat2012-01-31 00:33

    Excavavtor Komatsu 1250 dozer D8r

  64. #64Ross2012-01-31 22:19

    76yd is the biggest bucket I've dropped into a Haultruck.

  65. #65LWG2012-01-31 22:53

    Case 1816. Single cylinder, 16 horsepower flame-thrower engine. Weighs about 2,000. When it tips forward or backwards, you can hop on the back or the bucket and pull it upright. ; -)

  66. #66roughrider2012-02-01 16:25

    D11R. I wasn't workin though. It was a very brief joyride under proper supervision.

  67. #67Evan2012-02-06 06:23

    D11R same as roughrider, a demo @ RP Plant.

  68. #68billyboy8902012-02-06 12:57

    ok here we go hope they count,this is what l have operated Cassagrande C60 crawler crane Junttan Pm23 pilling rig Junntan Pm20 piling rig Banut 700 and 500 pilling rig

  69. #69D&GExcavating2012-02-06 14:36

    Keep in mind I'm only 20. Cat D8L, Cat 980G, Cat 627B, Cat D25D

  70. #70stuford2012-02-07 21:38

    the first truck i ran was a 777F followed by komatsu HD1500 and 730E, first dozer was a D10T, first grader was a 16H followed by 16M, komatsu WA900 wheel loader, 330-365 cat hoe, hitachi 850 and 1200, komatsu pc 138 all the way up to pc2000. this summer i will start running 797F, 24M, and D11T. can't wait to say I've run all that stuff before the age of 24!

  71. #71CraneInnovation2013-10-08 13:31

    Old thread, but interesting....started in 2005 Cat 245 and big Volvo articulated dump when I was a kid (got to drive back to the excavator empty a few times) A Cat D6 when I was 12 or 13. Superintendent let me back-drag a road about 5' from the boom of the brandy-new Manitowoc 777 on the ground...guess he trusted me to not suddenly yank on the tiller! More recently: Manitowoc 4100 SII for an hour Cat 311 and D4 for a weekend My first personal toy is a Gradall G3WD.

  72. #72IUOE Man2014-03-04 05:29

    Heres some of the pieces I have ran on a larger scale.Excavators,JD850D LC,Komatsu PC650,Komatsu PC400,Caterpillar 345CL,Hyundai (755,which is PC650 size machine).Dozers,Caterpillar D8H,D9G,Komatsu D155,International,TD-25C,TD-25G.Dumptrucks,Terex 4066,Caterpillar D400E,Payhauler 350B,Payhauler 350C. Scrapers,Caterpillar 613C,621B,621E,627E,#90,John Deere 9400 with Dual 17yd reynolds scrapers. Fiat-Allis 260B,262B.Loaders Caterpillar 988B. Compactors,Caterpillar 825B.Highlift 963B.

  73. #73BIGKAT Kev2014-03-09 01:25

    Working out in Colorado I spent most of my time on D-10T, loved those T model dozers....Also: D-8,9,10N's/D-9,10T's Crawler Dozers Triple 7's Mine Trucks Hitachi 1100EX, Cat 375 Track Hoe Cat 992 Loader I loved it out there and running that Big Iron........:notworthy

  74. #74Desertwheeler2014-03-09 03:47

    MT 4400 haul truck 390-385 excavator D10's Letorneau 1350 P&h 4100 A Cat 844 rubber tire 16H Those are the biggest I ran before this the biggest I ran was a 992, d9, 350 excavator and 773b.

  75. #75ol' Grump2014-03-09 10:45

    I guess the biggest machine I've run was back in about 1962, a Euc TC 12 used to push load scrapers in an open pit mine. Two weeks on that and to this day, I swear I can still hear both of those screamers bellowing. Hearing protection back then? Cigarette filters or wadded up toilet paper. ROPS? None, but a hard hat was optional, not a requirement.

  76. #76mowingman2014-03-09 20:29

    I have operated a lot of different machines over the years. I guess the biggest I have operated would be a Manitowoc 4600 dragline, at a sand and gravel operation.

  77. #77Kman90902014-03-16 13:17

    Dozer D11R Scraper 651E Excavator 5110B Motorgrader 16G Truck 775F

  78. #78MEK2014-03-17 13:06

    I unloaded a trailer load of steel with a Link Belt track hoe(2 yrd bucket). JD 624 wheel loader filling spreaders with 900 tons poop in 1 day. Cat 966 with 16 ft snow pusher in a couple snow storms. Mostly farm tractors lately.

  79. #79wornout wrench2014-03-18 00:23

    Well, being a mechanic I don't "operate" equipment. I can make it do its motions, but I really don't think you would want me loading your truck. I have gone back and forth between logging and mining so have a pretty good assortment. Largest logging equip would be a Madill 144 Largest mining equip would be a Hitachi 5500 Have played with lots of other things, but like I say, not an operator

  80. #80alco2014-03-18 01:02

    It's refreshing to see a mechanic who will admit that. It seems like most have the attitude that they are the best operators out there...........and then you see them in the seat. Thank you!

  81. #81ben46a2014-03-18 18:09

    I'm in the same boat, I've driven 797s, driven D11s, driven 24ms as well, but I've not operated them!

  82. #82wornout wrench2014-03-18 18:16

    Don't get me wrong Alco, if I was there I could tell you everything you are doing wrong:lmao I'm just humble enough not to show it on the forum:umno

  83. #83JGibson2014-04-09 14:03

    330lme cat, 724j john deere, D3K Cat , 6000 series john deeres and other tractors of this size mostly small equipment for me and tractors

  84. #84HoJay2014-07-31 00:22

    Working at a mine now so not a fair comparison. Marion 8750 dragline and d11t. Before I started mining they would be d10's, komatsu 1800 and fooled around on a hitachi 2500 shovel.

  85. #85CraneInnovation2014-07-31 00:24

    Ok....I HAVE to know....what's it like running an 8750?! Things that surprised you pleasantly/unpleasantly? I love that machine...

  86. #86HoJay2014-07-31 01:23

    Running the 8750 is awesome. We have two drags, the 8750 and a 8200. Most of the training is done on the 8200 and then you "graduate" to the 8750. There were a few surprises. Recovering the bucket is a little more difficult, it's not as forgiving as the smaller drag. A bit more delay on the control inputs with all that rope out there, can be tough picking the bucket up if you get out of rhythm and don't get the rigging tight. Then you have to play catch up with the spreader bar. Tons of power hoist and drag. Much easier to short dump with the big one, more weight with the bucket you get more momentum.

  87. #87profrooky2014-08-04 22:43

    I'm also a Tech that occasionally got to play operator but never claimed to be good at it. Had to run a 992G on a live stockpile once. That was a little sketchy! First scraper to run was a 657B after we did a certified rebuild. It was a coal hauler so could handle 50yds. It was like driving a house around. Cat 245s, 365s, Linkbelt 100 ton crane, 777 trucks (fun to do donuts with in the snow!). LaTourneau 950. No Trains but have ran a Car mover (Trackmobile) and IR rock drill.

  88. #88Nige2014-08-05 08:48

    I'm like a lot of the maintenance people above, I know what the controls do and how they are supposed to work but going from the theory to the practical is a different thing. I'm well out of practice now but I used to be pretty handy on 994's years ago, this was the good old steering wheel machines way before the days of STIC. One of the things I'm most proud of is a printout from the late 90's for 3100 tons/hour on a 994 loading 789Bs, although I will admit it was off a stockpile. TBH I'm not sure I could do it now even with a 994F/H equipped with STIC. Years ago I got the chance to run a BE1550W dragline. That was interesting ............

  89. #89CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-08-05 18:44

    I ran a Letourneau L 950 for about an hour lol Here is the wife (the CFO) with the loader on an open house day.

  90. #90Cutterjohn2014-08-06 07:51

    Not sure if it counts, but about a decade ago I got to "run" a CAT 5130B FS, by run I mean operator was in the cab, I was in the hot seat and cycled the boom, stick & bucket a few times, didn't get to move it though sadly.

  91. #91kshansen2014-08-06 12:42

    I think I probably **** off some customer truck drivers when I need to test run a machine after or before repairs. They start to pull up near the pile I'm working in and I run away Now if the pit loader operator is late in the morning I have no problem running the 988H to load the 769D or 773G for a while but those trucks can take a little tap that would total a KW or Pete!

  92. #92FSERVICE2014-08-06 23:50

    LMAO " a little tap" I think you probably hit it a little harder than that!!!!!

  93. #93Nige2014-08-07 07:33

    That's only to make sure the operator's awake and not getting too comfortable surfing the net on his smartphone while being loaded ............

  94. #94simonsrplant2014-08-08 01:06

    Was it decided if us mine pigs can enter?! As mentioned, I'm no operator, just a steel slinger, pulling on the levers to make it right.

  95. #95kshansen2014-08-08 14:02

    Just to be clear I did NOT total any KW's or Pete's just using those a references!

  96. #96FSERVICE2014-08-08 22:10

    yea sure.... you wasn't there & didn't do it!!!! :lmao :lmao

  97. #97hseII2014-08-09 16:41

    When I worked for the Cat Dealer here as a Service Tech; D10R 657E, or G I can't remember. In 2007 and was new. Triple 7 992G 854G 385C 973 Since leaving the dealership, the biggest would be my grandfather's Kobelco 330. Ima new guy here

  98. #98kshansen2014-08-09 18:53

    Like they say "No pictures, then it never happened":tong

  99. #99alco2014-08-11 19:12

    Yeah, the ones he totaled were Macks and Internationals. The KWs and Petes weren't completely totaled......lol.

  100. #100kshansen2014-08-11 21:21

    Can't speak for the IH's but the Macks we have had for many years are hard to kill, and believe me we have had drivers that tried. Have had every thing from good old B-42 up to DM-800's. Not to mention the M-15's through M-65's for those that don;t know those were the off-highway trucks Mack built for many years, like Terex or Euclid's. Just for anyone's information we have an RD685SX Dated 1980 that is used daily as a draw down truck for black top plant and various other jobs around the quarry. I'd have to do some digging in the files but do not think it has ever had a valve cover off. A driver did manage to rip the gears out of one of the rear ends a year or so ago. Then again this truck was spec'd as an over the road truck and has lived as an off road truck for 24 years. The original rears were 4.62's we swapped in a set of good used 9.46's Plus it has a straight 5-speed MaxiTorque trans. I didn't change the speedo gear so now the drivers think they are going twice as fast as they really are!

  101. #101clintm2014-08-11 21:40

    old dog's never die just find new owners got a 69 dm boom truck can't beat it no computer just leave the pto in gear reach in bump the start switch and she running