Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Why are there so many new unused/new Hyundai HX55 for sale?

LRAT · 2022-12-26 19:40

Hi, I'm in the market for a secondhand excavator (Anything between 3.5 to 8 tonnes). I've noticed there are numerous Hyundai HX55 machines for sale originating from the Netherlands and Dubai. Also here in Australia you see them advertised around the AUS$49,000 mark. However, when I search for these machines there doesn't seem to be an official importer here in Australia and I can't find any documentation. Can somebody explain why there are so many unused secondhand/New Hyundai machines available? What's the catch? Are they good machines? Does anybody now contact details for the Australian distributor? Are spare parts ready available for Hyundai machines?

Replies12
  1. #1Welder Dave2022-12-26 20:35

    I think you answered your own questions. If there's no backup support I'd look at machines with established dealers and parts support. Lot's of things can potentially need repairs on a mini ex.

  2. #2Lagwagon2022-12-27 04:44

    LRAT I can’t answer your question in terms of the glut of machines from Netherlands & Dubai you said you’ve seen advertised but I noticed a similar situation with the same size Volvo machines about a year ago when I was in the market. There were a lot and going cheap and I wondered what the catch was. I do know Porter Group have been the dealer for Hyundai for many years in Aus both renting and selling and they are well regarded. IMO there’s nothing wrong with Hyundai, they have come along way over the years and I certainly wouldn’t say no to a new one if the price was right but as Dave said there a lot to be said for parts and backup support, and theirs is 5 hours from me compared to Volvo’s 15 minutes. Give Porters a call or whoever is selling them and pick their brains. Also remember we are Australia, always a year or so behind the rest of the world, everything gets here slowly and moves slowly when it does. One scenario I have thought about is the massive supply chain disruptions across the world over the last 2 years from covid and that ship that blocked the Suez Canal causing a delay in deliveries. I’m seeing ‘new’ d model Volvos in yards when the rest of the world have had E models for a couple of years. Are we getting Europes old stock that sat in storage for 2 years? How do you know they originated from Netherlands and Dubai btw?

  3. #3LRAT2023-01-08 17:30

    I found them on Dutch and Middle Eastern websites. Yes, Australia seems to be the asre end of the world and dumping ground for inadequate/outdated machines. You reckon we are one year behind to the rest of the world. I reckon it's more like 15 years. (In a previous live I used to live in Northern Europe). I don't have a business in earth moving equipment. I just own an acreage of bushland that I need to maintain. So, I can easily wait a couple of weeks in case I need spare parts. I'll get in tough with Porters. Thanks for your response!

  4. #4Nige2023-01-08 18:31

    Can't answer your question regarding Hyundai but when we wanted 4 new 40T Cat excavators they came from Dubai to the Caribbean because the dealer in Dubai had machines in stock. In our case delivery time was critical so it was faster than waiting for a machine off the factory production line. Apparently a lot of new machines were imported into the Middle East a few years ago in anticipation of a boom in construction work that never materialized. The particular machines I refer to were new ex-factory in early 2019 but not sold to us until late 2020. With Dubai having a Duty Free Zone machines can be shipped to that location but any import taxes are only paid once a machine moves from DFZ into the country itself. If the machine is re-exported elsewhere there is no paperwork to do in respect of taxes, just put it on a ship to somewhere.

  5. #5LRAT2023-01-08 18:38

    Thanks Nige, I just called a Hyundai dealer and they are very aware of this sort of machines. Apparantly these machines are made in China and are not part of the official Hyundai network. They are simplified machines that are purchased for AUS$25,000 and then sold on for AUS$60,000 without any sorts of warranty or manufacturer support. They only got one pump and can only do one action at once, they have no off-set boom, they lack all sorts of accessories, etc. So, the advice was: Stay clear of them!

  6. #6Nige2023-01-08 18:54

    That sounds weird. You would think that if they were badged Hyundai then they were genuine, if they weren't surely some major court action would be in play somewhere. Strangely enough the Cat excavators we bought were built in China, but they were sold, warranted, and backed by the full Cat dealership network.

  7. #7LRAT2023-01-08 19:16

    Yes Nige, I'm puzzled as well. Maybe the dealer wants me to buy a mchine through his dealership

  8. #8Nige2023-01-08 19:24

    It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that was the case TBH.

  9. #9OzDozer2023-01-08 19:55

    Buying equipment from overseas dealers is a minefield - and China is a world unto itself, when it comes to models and types of machines. You'll find genuine Cat models in China you'll never see anywhere else, and things like Chinese Caterpillar copies with Cummins engines! How easy would it be for a shonky wheeler-dealer to re-decal this as a D7R! https://sinoway-sh.en.made-in-china...Swd7-Bulldozer-with-230HP-Cummins-Engine.html The dealer may be adding a little BS to his story, angling for a sale - but when it comes to the crunch, you import a machine that has no dealer backup, and you're on your own from there on in, as regards support backup and parts supply. Those dealers in the Netherlands are global wheeler-dealers, they ship equipment from anywhere to anywhere, as long as there's a fat profit involved! My experience is that anything that comes out of Europe is never cheap, you're paying all the way along the line, for all the European countries massive social welfare system. I don't mind the Europeans funding their massive social welfare, but I sure as he** don't want to contribute to it! Anytime I see anything that comes from Europe, or which needs constant parts support from European sources, I back away holding out a cross! If you buy some piece of equipment from overseas without a personal inspection, and a cast-iron guarantee that the machine you inspect is the one you get - you're simply laying yourself wide open to be shafted with the largest end of a pineapple - with no lube!

  10. #10Welder Dave2023-01-08 21:13

    The quality of that Chinese D7 copy is probably reflected in the fact they couldn't even latch the engine enclosure doors for their video.

  11. #11Tones2023-01-08 21:41

    That's so when they detonate the parts are easy to find.

  12. #12Welder Dave2023-01-08 22:55

    Or they fly far away so you can't find them.