I recently came across a trail king tag beavertail trailer for a good price so I bought it to haul a cat 309 (22000 pounds). I will be pulling it with a pete 388 3 axle truck. The trailer name plats says the GVWR is 25950 and each axle is 18160... I called both the manufacturer and Dexter with the axle serial numbers, its a dual tandem. They both said it has d150 axles rated at 15k each. The manufacture had no idea why the name plate says 18160 Pounds per axle. My question is why is the trailer 25950 not 30k? the trailer weighs in right at 7k, with a 22000 pound machine I need the trailer to be rated for 29k or more. preferably 30k. Is there a reason so many trailers are rated at just under 26k GVWR?
Some states, when the trailer rating goes over 26k, must be towed with a commercial vehicle. Registration and insurance rates enter a different realm, too. Similar to 9,999 lbs F-350’s. Trying to stay under that magic number.
Any trailer rated at or over 26000 pounds has to have abs I believe. You can find trailers that are with air brakes.
To stay under Federal Excise Tax is the main reason I believe. There are other state regulations at the 26K mark, In VA the annual state inspection is $50 for vehicles over 26K vs $20 for regular vehicles, there are also some other differences in registering and taxes.
This, and only this. FET is 12%.
Yep, it's the FET. I just ordered a trailer; $42,000 trailer with $7,000 in taxes on top . . .
Didn't know 19,500lbs was a FET thing. That's what my 5500 is rated to. Have an early 90s F800 that is 26,100lbs or something silly like that. Ive yet to figure why they didn't put it at 25,999.