Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Why did the really oldtimers call a road grader a Motor Patrol ?

Tinkerer ยท 2019-11-29 08:22

When I first started working on new pipeline job over fifty years ago I routinely heard the older operators refer to a road grader as a motor patrol. I knew what a road grader, blade and road maintainer was. I finally researched road graders and found out the reason. I thought the younger operators would find this interesting.

Replies18
  1. #1Nige2019-11-29 09:15

    If you haven't seen it yet, see if you can track down a copy of Cat's coffee table book "All in a Day's Work". https://www.amazon.com/All-Days-Work-Seventy-Five-Caterpillar/dp/1572433744

  2. #2bigrus2019-11-30 04:42

    Never heard of graders in general called a motor patrol. I remember seeing ancient graders with "patrol" on the nameplate under the brand but I've only been on equipment since 1979

  3. #3bigrus2019-11-30 05:07

    Some old graders set up in a roadside museum 20 miles east of Longreach Qld Australia. A few had "patrol" on them

  4. #4Queenslander2019-11-30 06:58

    bigrus, they have an Auto Patrol there under the shed in the background. If I recall correctly, it dates back to the mid thirties, survived the bombing of Darwin during WW2 and was later purchased by a local council.

  5. #5DMiller2019-11-30 09:30

    Allis built 'Speed Patrol' graders based on the Farm tractors of the Day.

  6. #6Tinkerer2019-11-30 09:50

    Apparently this is where the motor patrol reference started in 1919. I have never seen an operator dressed like the man in the image !

  7. #7DMiller2019-11-30 10:03

    Quite likely a British Gent.

  8. #8ovrszd2019-11-30 10:20

    I've watched several old farm tractor advertising videos. Very common to see the operators wearing dress clothes. I suppose that was supposed to give the impression that the new machinery was so effective you could wear your Sunday best and run it??

  9. #9Mother Deuce2019-11-30 10:48

    Probably never seen one in dressed to go out on a date either, fresh hair, nails, little dumb top, slacks and heels but it happen one friday night in Bremerton and ended up in SeaTac when I had to road a 140 one summer Friday evening for a Saturday morning job that could not wait... did start some interesting conversations at stop lights though while tooling through Fife.

  10. #10bigrus2019-11-30 14:43

    When I fitted my "red dot" A/c to my Dresser A450E after a couple years running just an enclosed cab. After the first few weeks of running the A/c, my wife asked "was I going to work" as my clothes were very clean compared to previously. Still get a chuckle when I think of that.

  11. #11bigrus2019-11-30 14:48

    I wondered of the significance why one machine had its own enclosure. Didn't get time to look thoroughly through the lineup as we were on a time frame to be back in Barcaldine.

  12. #12Tinkerer2019-11-30 21:12

    Galion was another company incorporating the Motor Patrol name into theirs. Russel should have copyrighted it.

  13. #13Truck Shop2019-11-30 21:26

    And a few graders and a really old Galion mule drawn I took these photos last year.

  14. #14Truck Shop2019-11-30 21:29

    And one more. And a first year Pete for good measure.

  15. #15Truck Shop2019-11-30 21:31

    Left one photo out.

  16. #16Mother Deuce2019-12-01 00:51

    Oooooohhh that blade is cool! It will give me something to lust after in my imagination.

  17. #17DIYDAVE2019-12-06 21:26

    Here's AC's contribution, to the patrol legacy, the W speed patrol...

  18. #18Mother Deuce2019-12-07 00:32

    A guy here has one and is a regular at the regional HECA shows. He makes a good showing with it.