I just bought a 590 SL and want to know what are the advantages of the 4/1 front bucket, compared to a standard bucket. Thanks.
It's easier to say it this way....the only disadvantage is added weight.
Exactly , a machine with a 4in1 and an operator that knows how to use it , there isnt much that machine cant do
I agree with Steve. Grab an operators manual for the backhoe and read through the section on the 4-1 bucket so you under stand what the position gauge and the bucket linkage mean for the different operations and you will understand what all you can do with the bucket and you will be amazed what all you can do with the bucket.
The real question is why would anyone want one with out one?
here are some of the advantages i have seen... -being able to pick up that little bit of dirt you can never get and the ability to pick up object. -being able to dump higher, trucks with high side boards. also the ability to push dirt to other side of truck. -you can grade like this ^ allows you to level areas off in no time please add if you have any others. I think the machine with the best control is a Cat IT machine or a Cat skid steer. Only because on the thumb wheel. the second would be a Case backhoe. I hate the deere and cat controls, with the second lever..
I've seen guys load trucks by opening the clamshell, but I've only used tractors with standard buckets, so it seems kind of strange to me to do it that way. And it is nice to just grab a pile of dirt instead of trying to get a run at it just to get that last little bit. It just doesn't seem like I use it that much right now, but maybe once I start using it more it will come more naturally. I've never had an extenda-hoe either, but I don't think I'd buy another tractor without one.
I really didnt know how handy a 4in1 would be until I had it. It is hard to imagine not having it. Now if I could just get a thumb on the backhoe I would be set!
I was running a 580 Super M today with a 4/1. Another thing that I found my self doing is cracking the bucket @ 4in and backing up and cutting the high spots a couple inches. I was rolling the bucket back and forth to control how much I was cutting by letting it ride on the back edge.
A good operator dont need a 4n'1, but a good operator knows how to use and get the most outa one. I was taught alot of tricks from time to time in the past, ran machines with them but the backhoes I ran for the most part had regular buckets. Like I said before I run a 580 doing gas/utility work. I have a 4n'1 on the machine I run. It makes life easier. I could go without it but I'd miss it. It's not the greatest digging bucket but theres many tricks. Some of the tricks I use and have learned from the older operators are. Load higher trucks easier. Alot of times I'll dump the bucket normally and then open the clam, this will push the material to the other side without having to dump back up and push it forward. Carrying road plates with it helps. Hook the chain up, open the clam, set the dozer edge on the ground. As you open the clam and roll the bucket back, the plate will slide up against the dozer blade. This way the plate can't spin around while moving the machine around. Again with plates, loading them into dump trucks. With the 4n'1 you can lift them higher with the clam open. Instead of wasted time backdragging a spoil pile, you can open the clam back drag it and close it to get a bucket. It helps alot doing clean up work. Sometime if Im in a tight spot sanding a trench it's easier to use the 4n'1 and open it over the trench instead of dumping. With the 4n'1 open Ill use it like a dozer sometimes but rare if I have to push alot of material outa the way. I dont really like to use it like a dozer though. Normally just leave it shut. For the most part I leave the 4n'1 control locked but when it comes time to heap on a truck, do clean up, or move larger plates, the 4n'1 comes in real handy. I try to leave the control locked until I really need it for the last bits and pieces. If your going to do alot of resindential or site work, it's not really worth it but if your going to work in the street its well worth the extra 5-6K. I like having it but it doesnt matter to me with or without. Majority of all the other backhoes I see at work have 4n'1's on them.
Do you ever get to use the 4in1 for building demoliton. Works great on a 977 loader and others.
Yes I have, my only problem is rubber tires!
they do a good job carrying stumps after you dig them out .cant imagine having a hoe without one
Thing that sux is trying to get one installed on a machine that's not set up for one. I've gotten estimates to retrofit a 4/1. just the valving, hydraulics and piping was 4-5 grand.
Simple fix, call your tire dealer, get your tires foam filled. Or spend the big bucks and get yourself a set of the "air ride" solid tires.
Ya, I know the solution! Last time I priced foam filled it was pretty pricey. What are you guys paying to foam fill your front tires?