Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

why do they paint terexs green?

637slayer ยท 2008-01-08 23:20

so they can hide in the weeds when the cats come by.lmao

Replies54
  1. #1Jeff D.2008-01-08 23:27

    I thought it was cuz they wanted too look like a Steiger?:cool2 http://www.bigtractorpower.com/steiger4wdtractorhistory.htm

  2. #2Wulf2008-01-08 23:40

    Cos they didn't want to hear that old western term.... "What are ya, yellow?"

  3. #3alan627b2008-01-09 14:00

    Up until the late 30's, most tractors were painted in grays and dull reds, which if you think about it, doesn't have high visibility, especially at night. Caterpillar and most of it's competitors switched to "highway yellow" of one shade or other about this time. Partly in the interest of safety, and partly to make sure they were noticed in the public eye. Euclid (Terex's predecessor) had machinery painted in a dark green shade, and later yellow during the 50's. When GM bought into the Euclid company, they were looking to form their own identity. They came up with the Terex name, combining the latin words Terra, which means Earth, and Rex, which means King. King of the Earth, you see? They had also done research into colors with high visibility, and that lime green was one of the best, along with bright yellows. Must have been something to it, because they paint some fire trucks this color too. Although, that green sure looks terrible after years of weathering when it turns a chalky whitish green! It's sort of indicative of the changing fortunes of General Motors, because at one time they had a construction equipment division (Terex, sold off) a locomotive division (EMD, sold off) an engine division (Detroit Diesel, now it's own company). Eric Orlemann has a good book out on Euclid and Terex, which describes all this and what happened with the various elements of the Eerex corporation. And Euclid is still in business, making off road trucks. Hope this helps, alan627b

  4. #4Legdoc2008-01-09 15:09

    Excellent history lesson. Unfortuately it also a a text book example of how an American Icon (GM) was destroyed by corporate greed, poor management and stupidity!

  5. #5rino14942008-01-09 16:31

    We have a Terex 2766C and it has been a real good truck. No complaints about it.

  6. #6Northart2008-01-09 22:12

    Terex colors Current Terex colors are predominate white, with black, gray,red trim or accent.

  7. #7Buckethead2008-01-10 02:21

    I don't think Terex scrapers are so bad. I spent a few months on a TS-24 and also ran a TS-14 on one job. My only complaint with them was the bowl did not have down pressure.

  8. #8Construct'O2008-01-10 15:11

    OLD Yellow Back when i was growing up it was " Old Yellow" who saved the day !!!!! :cool2 :usa

  9. #9alan627b2008-01-11 21:27

    I always thought white was a poor choice for earthmoving equipment, since every grease spill, rust streak soot stain sticks out like a sore thumb... but Terex is partly owned by Ingersoll Rand, so it makes since.... not many white scrapers around here!

  10. #10637slayer2008-01-12 03:55

    there is a local contractor mostly trucks,blades,hoes, small dozers,they build pretty big subdivisions,roads,other local land developing.they got two terexs p/p,look a little bit bigger than a 27, those two scrapers are always working,or i see them going down the road to another job.good clean older units with cabs.last summer they were building a new school in my hood,the dirt contractor had an older terex twin a smaller one that just looked worn out,pile of rust,i could here those detroits screaming all the way across town,it got the dirt moved though,ide ride my bike down there at night check out the operation, every night the old terex would be sitting there one flat tire puddle of oil under everyplace that held oil.

  11. #11637slayer2008-01-14 21:32

    here is a very old terex that a subcontractor runs at the mine where i work. this is the first pic ive been able to post hope it works.

  12. #12637slayer2008-01-14 21:34

    YAHOO i did it, i dont know what year it is i do know its a ts-24 im pretty sure, makes my ears hurt just looking at it.

  13. #13Northart2008-01-15 02:18

    Why ? Why do they paint Terex's Green ? Cuz, they are born green , turn yeller, and die Rotten. Just like bananas ! LOL :drinkup LOL

  14. #14jensham2008-01-16 17:44

    Priestman Mustang Many thanks to tctractors for help. When weather improves I will check it out. Cheers

  15. #15dpull2008-01-16 21:26

    Terex Scrapers Spent quite abit of time on Terex iron when I got out of the Military in 1973 in the Strip Mines in S.E. Ohio. The 24's were a tough machine and took alot of beating. Hated the 14's as the ride was a back killer. GMC with there deep money pockets had Cat running scared for awhile. Used to be alot of the green iron in the mines at one time in this area. 637slayer, Have you ever been to Waltman Wy? There was a couple of TS32's setting behind the store last time I was out there.

  16. #16637slayer2008-01-16 22:20

    yes i have 100s of times,that drive from casper to shoshonie is one of the most boring drives in wy. instead of counting sagebrushs i should of been looking around maybe i would of seen the terexs.

  17. #17gd10r2008-01-17 20:39

    I have always had a softspot for the "Green Iron". Must have been from all the money I earned from my dad, I had to count all the Eucs when we went over Vail Pass as it was under constuction. We had a place in Vail and I just loved the Green Iron. Here are a few Photos, First batch, TS-14 WW in Laramie WY Some "Sherman Williams overhauled" Terex S-24's from Rice and Rice in Colorado Springs.

  18. #18gd10r2008-01-17 20:42

    Here are a few more. Rice and Rice. A nice old Southwest at the RB auction site, ex: Oftedal & Sons machine. Who says all EUCS are green: Dwire Ex in Colorado Springs has a whole slew of TS-24's, S-24's, and S-35E's, all repowered to cummins with engine breaks, here are a few shots:

  19. #19gd10r2008-01-17 20:45

    And the last batch: More Dwire Iron.

  20. #20637slayer2008-01-17 22:28

    those three parked together were those the 35es? they look like big scrapers.

  21. #21gd10r2008-01-17 22:43

    637, Those are S-24B's fresh out of the paint shop. The S-35E's, Dwire re-names all their iron that as its repowered, is the paddle wheel with the GPS system. Send some photos of your 37's banging away when you get the chance. I have several hundred photos of 637's that I can start to post someday. G

  22. #22637slayer2008-01-17 23:09

    is that roller a terex? it looks exactly like a cat wd20,

  23. #23637slayer2008-01-17 23:55

    the ts14 looks like it holds alot of dirt,did it come from the factory like that?

  24. #24gd10r2008-01-19 16:58

    637, the TS14 is a water wagon, just welded the bowl shut. The roller is an old S-24 mounted with a southwest proof roller. Pretty neat stuff. G

  25. #25stepp33602008-01-19 18:05

    Green Iron rules G-man, Totally awesome pictures! Pretty nice Sherman-Williams overhauls. Please keep them coming, John

  26. #26Turbo218352008-01-19 22:04

    Alright, ive let this go on long enough. The real reason they paint terexs green is not so you can call em a green weenie or anything else. The reason is because a 6'4" redhead like me just looks damn good makin those jimmys scream.

  27. #27637slayer2008-01-19 22:56

    i guess the first time i wasnt paying attention didnt notice the ww,nice looking equipment,if i knew how to do it ide put that smiliey shooting himself in the head for myself.

  28. #28Countryboy2008-01-20 21:45

    When on the reply screen, put the cursor where you want the smiley. Look to the right of the reply screen and you will see a box with the smilies in there. Click the smiley you want and it will put the necessary code in the text for you. Example: This is what you'll see when typing your reply ointHead This is what you'll see when you submit your reply ointhead The code needed to create the smiley is automatically added to the reply when you click the smiley on the right of the screen. Just make sure you don't change the code that's added or the smiley won't work. Hope this helps.

  29. #29637slayer2008-01-20 23:08

    thanx countryboy i would always click the smiliey,when i would just see the text i figured it wasnt working.:drinkup

  30. #30kentguyuk2008-01-26 18:28

    Before GM brought Euclid, the machines were availbale with Cummins engines but GM tried to cut down the number of machines sold with Cummins engines to promote their own (GM) motors. The US government did not take kindly to this and sued GM, cutting a long story short GM sold the rights to the truck manufacturing to the white motor company along with the Euclid name, GM picked the TEREX (earth king) for the remains of the division. White motors became part of Hitachi so now the name Euclid has gone. Terex is a conglomerate that seems to be getting bigger and bigger, the earth moving side has all but colapsed, from at one time making a number of scrapers to now only the TS14 in Scotland.

  31. #31alan627b2008-01-26 20:46

    That's not exactly true, at least in the US, but which division is owned by whom is a bit confusing..... http://www.terex.com/main.php Euclid still survives, at least in name....probably like Claas combines, one plant just across the highway from my house, although there is little if any Cat in them....trading on name recognition... http://hutnyak.com/Euclid.htm

  32. #32gd10r2008-01-26 23:52

    Here are a few more, gosh I like them old eucs. The only unique thing is that the "second" scraper has been removed from the tractor unit. This guy still runs the tandems every once and a while when the conditions permit. G

  33. #33pushkid842008-02-16 07:51

    its cool to see those old terx scrappers still working the last terex scrappers i saw were in an old abandoned strip mine they were both in pices but there was also an old terex loader tat still started

  34. #34992G2008-02-16 08:20

    The Euclid haul trucks have been bought out by Hitachi, at first you could still get them in green, but now I am sure the only come in orange.

  35. #35jensham2008-03-05 14:31

    Wowee! I have just tracked down the original User instruction Manual and Parts Manual for my machine dated 1986. I now know how to handle the machine "properly" and even how to adjust the brakes. Things are lookin good

  36. #36mattyjc2008-03-07 10:01

    I drive a number of TS-40's, now painted in red but in places where the paint has chipped/worn off you can still see the original Green...a dreadful colour, although very capable machines. Easily as good as the CAT 637G's we also drive, though the Cats are more comfortable! Regards Matt

  37. #37Cat637g2008-03-07 22:54

    Matt, Do you have any pictures of the TS-40's?? Kevin

  38. #38mattyjc2008-03-08 06:15

    Will take some in the week when Im back at work, post as soon as possible Regards Matt

  39. #39greeniron2008-04-27 23:21

    GD10R , Those tandem S24 , are they factory jobs are has someone made them up into tandems

  40. #40Neil D2008-04-28 18:33

    location Mattyjc where do you work,sounds like a coal rehandling job at a power station???? Neil

  41. #41Firecat112008-05-08 18:38

    Stopped by to say hi... I am new to the forum and just stopped by to say hi. I am trying to get my 3 posts in so that I can post some pictures. I am an Owner/Operator that runs a couple of Terex S23E's. I will post some pics soon. Thanks for all the good discussion.

  42. #42bobcat ron2008-05-08 19:29

    What kind of power have you got in that Green Lizard?

  43. #43Firecat112008-05-08 19:32

    S23E Scraper Here is a picture of our #2 scraper in stock form before I built the cab. This scraper was originally from Southern California. I make our cabs by cutting up and using all of the steel in the OROPS. The only steel that has to be purchased is the sheet metal. If you have ran an OROPS 33TOT tractor like a S-18 or S-23 you know that the dash is open to the fan underneath and it acts like a blast furnace. I enclose the entire dash with metal plate and seal it air tight. With the tinted windows and the Red Dot A/C unit, it will freeze you out of the cab, even when it is 115 degrees outside. Thanks for such a great forum!!:usa

  44. #44JDOFMEMI2008-05-08 22:09

    Wow, those are the cleanest S-23's I have seen. I love what you have done with the cabs. Are they still Detroit powered, or have you gotten them repowered yet?

  45. #45alan627b2008-05-08 22:31

    Nice work! Wish we had someone like you to build some cabs for the old 627B's I run...you know, heated in the summer, air conditioned in the winter....nice to see someone who had a problem, and found a way to beat it! Do the S23E's have any kind of suspended axle or other cushion ride device? Just wondering what it's like on "the other side"! I grew up in Blue Springs, Missouri, in the early 70's and watched a number of old TTS-14 double pans at work...I see the owner not only detached the second pan on the scraper above, it has had the rear engine removed as well, making it an "S-14". Pretty common among old twin engine scrapers, but if you did that to the scrapers I run, they wouldn't get much work done. Theyd be pretty helpless. I wonder what was done to 621B's to make them run like they do. I have seen some 621's and 627's with the 3406 instead of the usual 3306, that really wakes them up! alan627b

  46. #46alan627b2008-05-08 22:34

    I always have wondered why Komatsu scrapers never got much of a foothold in the US, and why Komatsu never tried to make a dent in Cat's market share? I'll bet it has something to do with the ride...and I'll bet Cat never lets the patent lapse on the cushion hitch designs either! back on topic, here are a couple of old Euc pics for you.... alan627b

  47. #47bear2008-05-08 23:14

    Nice stuff in those pics. Personally the only thing i don't like about those beasts is when i used to live in town the guy excavating for a new factory here would start the thing about 7 in the morning after i came off my night shift job. That screaming jimmy was only about 300 yards from my apartment and I always looked forward to when it was out of service Other than that the thing would move some serious dirt. I wondered how the operator could stand the noise so I went to ask him one day after they stopped, dude got out took his earmuffs off and puilled out his earplugs, evidently that wasn't much help for the guy you had to yell at him to be heard. Another thing I like the Terex rubber tire cranes bucket trucks and digger trucks> Altec has some serious competition in the utilities market.

  48. #48euclid2008-05-09 07:45

    Nice ole Uke pictures. I'll agree those screaming Jimmy's were a noisy lot! Even if you had a muffler it still was loud and then you lost H/P. oh if I could run it one more time for the good times!

  49. #49637slayer2008-05-09 21:31

    nice lookin paddle wheel firecat:thumbsup

  50. #50WabcoMan2008-05-10 00:33

    Alan627b Thst Euclid 16TDT is still operational - it was delivered new in 1955. Recently had a Duco birthday when they repainted it. Its nicknamed "Brutus" Didn't know you'd been to New Zealand !

  51. #51Firecat112008-05-11 11:56

    Thanks for the great comments.... We really enjoy our S23E's. On some jobs we run along side 623B's and the operators are amazed at how we can pull away from them. The only draw back with the machines is that they do not have any suspension. We have to keep the haul roads graded fairly well to get up and run with them. The power plants are still the 8V71 Detroit. I have a friend that swaped his out for a cummins. Now with the new emissions regulations here in California, we will be repowering our equipment with newer power plants. Since we are a small operator, we can't afford to replace the machine. I will more than likely look for a donor truck and swap engines. That won't happen till after 2010 though, so I have a little bit of time to think about it. I could even swap in a C-series Cat engine. Ewwww... I don't know if I want to contaminate the machine...LOL Thanks for all the great comments...:usa

  52. #52alan627b2008-05-11 22:32

    Sorry if I swiped your glory, Wabcoman...I found those pics on one of the other boards recently, and thought they fit the post! Never been outside the US, but maybe someday....that part of the world would probably be fun to visit! can you get nay "after" pics of that big Euc? I heard that there are still some SS40's in California, just waiting for the big jobs.... alan627b

  53. #53ts-24 frank2009-07-03 00:04

    i am new to the forums but am blown away by the discussions. i would love to know if anyone has any pictures of what alan627b was talking about the tts-14 or the tts24 double pans at work or just sitting or even a ts-14 triple unit, and if anyone knows where they could be found, i love terex scrapers. thanks for youre help. i just got the eric c. orlemann book on euclid and it is fabules. ts-24 frank

  54. #54kentguyuk2009-07-03 02:45

    Goto http://discuss.ibdozing.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi Click on Euclid/Terex then find Tandem Lizard Scraper there are a few pictures in there. I know its a bit of a kerfuffle but I dont like taking credit for others work.