Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Why is nobody rebuilding DT466e / 530e injectors anymore?

wlhequipment · 2026-02-25 13:43

I just spent 3 hours on the phone calling around to all the diesel shops I'm aware of that I've sent injectors in the past to, and literally nobody around here does Heui 466e injectors anymore. there were 2 shops in town who I have done business with before, and a couple others I heard of but never worked with. Diesel Forward in Denver got bought out by Alliant who will only sell core exchanges. Rocky Mountain Powertrain just sells Alliant ones. Oregon Injection got bought by Alliant also - same story. Shops everywhere will do Ford 7.3 and 6.0, but no 466. I asked them why and they all said it wasn't worth the expensive machinery to test em. As far as I know, the only difference between a 7.3 and a 466e injector is the volume per stroke and the shots. 7.3 is a one-shot and 466e is a double-shot. Is the test bench for a single shot Heui really that much different than a double shot? I don't know but it has me wondering about buying a test bench and doing em here at the shop. Of course it would take alot of injectors to pay for a $10K bench, but if nobody else in town is doing em... hmm...

Replies14
  1. #1Acoals2026-02-25 14:28

    The shop I use said it would take about a million in tooling to rebuild those injectors properly, which is why nobody does them. Core exchange is the only way. They don't do common rail either, he said it would take about 2.5 million to get into that.

  2. #2cfherrman2026-02-25 14:55

    Irc late 7.3 are split shot and May be up to 4 shot Is there a physical difference to the 7.3 injectors?

  3. #3wlhequipment2026-02-25 15:14

    Wow! I doubt that little shop in Texas has a $1M bench, but maybe so. I wonder what he meant? I've done 7.3 injectors in my garage. I had to make a few tools, like a holding fixture and a wrench for the top, but nothing too complex. The only thing I didn't have was a way to test em. They all worked, but one set that I did, I really didn't like how the engine ran so I took em up to Diesel Forward ( now Alliant) and they tested and did something, and the truck ran great. I don't remember details, of course.

  4. #4wlhequipment2026-02-25 15:16

    7.3 and 466 have the same body p/n I believe. That's relying on old memory though.

  5. #5cfherrman2026-02-25 15:20

    It looks really easy to disassemble injectors, swap out the tops

  6. #6cfherrman2026-02-25 15:26

    I did some quick internet searches on Google and it looks like you can drop in a 466 injector into a 7.3 so if you can find a 7.3 injector split shot still at 250cc just drop them at 466 Late 99 plus AD's are split shot

  7. #7wlhequipment2026-02-25 16:14

    Yeah they're not hard to rebuild. If an idiot like me can figure it out, it's gotta be easy . It's the testing / adjustment that I couldn't do without a bench. Maybe there's just not enough 466 / 530s out there to justify the expense.

  8. #8Truck Shop2026-02-25 18:39

    Interstate McBee started handling injectors about two years ago IIRC. * https://www.raneystruckparts.com/interstate-mcbee-navistar-dt466e-dt530e-remanufactured-fuel-injector-r-2593594c91-bi/

  9. #9JD955SC2026-02-25 18:56

    Nothing to do with those but our mechanical Pump fuel bench finally gave up the ghost a couple years ago and we opted not to replace it Wasn’t worth the $$$ to replace when we got less than a handful of mechanical pumps per year. I’m not even sure we still have anyone that knows how to rebuild and adjust a mechanical fuel pump anymore Anything HUEI or Common Rail has always been a replace for us, not rebuild.

  10. #10cfherrman2026-02-25 23:20

    7.3, 466, 530 are all the same injector, so any shop that can handle the 7.3 can do those as well. It was even said that some of the 7.3 and 466 were the exact same injector, the AD code ones. The 7.3 is a 444 so it's only 22 cu in difference. I found a few places that sell 466 injectors from 150-350 per injector, not sure on quality or anything, and there is a lot of different codes.

  11. #11LCA0782026-02-26 10:31

    I recommend jumping on the ford-trucks.com forum for the last generation 7.3L Powerstroke : https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/ Just like here, I'm sure there's someone there who's got the info you're looking for....

  12. #12cfherrman2026-02-26 16:39

    Everything I found was from a 7.3 forum

  13. #13LCA0782026-02-26 17:10

    Gotcha. Was just trying to say the folks in that forum would know all the shops that tweak those kind of injectors. I've been a member of ford-trucks.com for my '95 7.3L and '01 7.3L for many years, way longer than me being a member here on HEF. I'm guessing there's a powerstroke speedshop somewhere that would do what the OP wants and that forum is where you figure out who it is.

  14. #14cfherrman2026-02-26 18:34

    I would just tell them I'm replacing 6 of my injectors for a 7.3 rebuild them to the same code that they are, my truck is tuned for them. I bet 109% those shops that said no to the 466 injectors but yet to 7.3 injectors would fix you up here