Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Why no tilt on a track loader????

tnc110 ยท 2013-10-11 20:41

Would a track loader with a 4n1 and a tilt blade not be the ultimate tool??? Why do they not put tilt cylinders on track loaders? I'm in the market for a 953 and will probably settle for a well used because of its lack of versatility. If they would put tilt on them I would be spending a lot more on a nearly new machine. Whats the deal...why no tilt??? Hell my old POS case back hoe has a tilt bucket...

Replies20
  1. #1powerjoke2013-10-11 22:03

    What do you mean tilt ? Are you talking of a side dump ?

  2. #2mitch5042013-10-11 22:19

    A Case backhoe with tilt? On the loader bucket?

  3. #3td25c2013-10-11 23:31

    I guess it's because on a highlift dozer ya realy dont need the "tilt feature" like you might with a blade dozer. The bucket is not mutch wider then the tracks on the highlift . Geometry also plays a big part as the loader frame on the highlift is quite a bit different then the frame on a blade dozer. Dont get me wrong..... It can be done but would end up being a weak point in the loader that would give trouble in rough digging. I aint no Highlift expert but everytime I jumped on one to grade something I ran it "old school" like the blade dozers of yesteryear without the tilt option.Pretty mutch position the machine for the desired cut as you would with a motor scraper.Thats the best answer I can give tnc110

  4. #4tnc1102013-10-12 08:48

    Tilt...so you can drop the right or left side of the bucket down like you can on a dozer.

  5. #5tnc1102013-10-12 08:55

    Yes on the loader bucket. There are the 2 lift cylinders and a 3rd cylinder that can tilt the bucket to help with grading. The short cylinder tilts the bucket.

  6. #6grandpa2013-10-12 09:01

    Hey Mitch... you must be ALIVE as you learned something again...... Love Grampa

  7. #7fast_st2013-10-12 09:17

    Haha! what? no, that's a bucket leveling cyl, that's inline with the curl/dump lines on the bucket so that when the loader arms are raised, it'll curl or dump the bucket in an attempt to keep it level. it sort of works and is handy for breaking the lift arms when you curl it back to the stops and lower the arms with force.

  8. #8mitch5042013-10-12 10:28

    Yeah, if that cylinder is tilting the bucket, you may need pins and bushings. :beatsme

  9. #9powerjoke2013-10-12 10:29

    Yeah I too am in doubt on this one....... Post of some more pics or a video,

  10. #10tuney4432013-10-12 10:40

    tnc110---The reason tilt is not offered is because it is completely IMPRACTICAL on the engineering side.I couldn't even imagine how you could design that to hold up under tremendous loading forces.Maybe in a marshmallow plant,not for dirt work,sorry.

  11. #11tnc1102013-10-12 11:06

    Guys I'm not an expert on this case backhoe deal...but I will tell you that it does tilt. I don't know why you would ever want to level your bucket unless you are using it to grade. I guess it would be hand if you had a set of forks on it to get under loads when on a slope. Have none of you ever seen a tilt tatch for a skid steer? It is essentially a plate that goes inbetween the machine and the bucket. It has a hydraulic cylinder that tilts the bucket. Its as handy as a pocket on a t-shirt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcG8sTIzeQM I don't know why you think it would be so hard to engineer this on a loader...

  12. #12sheepfoot2013-10-12 11:45

    The reason it tilts the bucket is because the top pin and bosses are worn out where the loader frame mounts. The cylinder you are looking at is the self leveler for the bucket roll back.

  13. #13tuney4432013-10-12 11:46

    We have all seen the optional tilt bucket on hoes and excavators,no question.You have to realize that they are really not designed for hard digging,mostly for grading/sloping work where they shine.They also get sloppy real fast,more moving parts.Now,compound this with the very real scenario where all that loader's weight is bearing down on this tilt feature[however it would be designed],something,usually the weakest link has got to give.You can't expect something built for earthwork not to be abused by the weekend warrior crowd.Hope that explains it to you,IMHO it's impractical.

  14. #14tnc1102013-10-12 11:51

    [QUOpfoot;448370]The reason it tilts the bucket is because the top pin and bosses are worn out where the loader frame mounts. The cylinder you are looking at is the self leveler for the bucket roll back.[/QUOTE] self leveler? are you talking about the return to dig feature?

  15. #15tnc1102013-10-12 12:04

    self leveler? are you talking about the return to dig feature?[/QUOTE] Nevermind, I'm on the same page now. Had a bit of a dumbass attack.... OK...nevermind...I got you now...had a dumbass attack.

  16. #16tuney4432013-10-12 12:05

    self leveler? are you talking about the return to dig feature?[/QUOTE] NO,he's referring to the fairly standard self leveling mechanism[in your case[no pun intended],it's that short cylinder] most late model loaders have.

  17. #17sheepfoot2013-10-12 12:13

    Yes it is true that there have been tilt bucket adapters around since the 70's. It is not a new concept, just never took off. Lets talk grading 101 on your 580, is your skills in grading to pitch you bucket set by the front axle tires, rear axle tires, the air pressure in the front tires, the air pressure in your rear tires. Do you make a dip in the ground to start your pitch of the front cutting edge on the side you want to cut, or do you make a ridge to set your cutting edge to make your cut.

  18. #18tnc1102013-10-12 12:27

    NA I use to to load mulch....

  19. #19ValleyFirewood2013-10-12 14:56

    Saw that offered by Bobcat in the books, said to reduce the rating by something like 40%.

  20. #20d4c24a2013-10-12 15:22

    slew the hoe left or right works well