Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and just wanted a bit of insight from all those that are experienced. I own a 2002 Wiley's diesel jeep and was wondering if I could modify it and run it as a tractor. I saw a couple of videos of people in the US doing it and also found out that Wiley's themselves made a tractor jeep long ago. According to some basic calculations I did, if I add a secondary reduction after the gearbox the jeep should be able to produce enough traction. So is this possible ? Or am I missing something here a. And any idea why something like this doesn't already exist ? A car or jeep that can be used to plough and till. Thanks in advance for your response.
Willy's Jeep? from the 1940s? They did have some tractor attachments. I think something like that never caught on because they are too small and light for farm work other than a small garden. Even a 25-30ish hp compact tractor would run circles around it.
I don't know what you mean by a 2002 Wileys Jeep either, but assuming it's some kind of Jeep, the main advantages that it has that could possibly be useful for farming are the small size and four wheel drive. However it's not heavy enough to be useful for much... and if you add a second transmission and a heavier axle then you lose four wheel drive. The homemade farm tractors that were made around here starting 100 years ago were usually a car front end mated to a heavy truck rear end.
"According to some basic calculations I did, if I add a secondary reduction after the gearbox the jeep should be able to produce enough traction. " reducing the gear ratio's might give it low gears to pull but not more traction. Traction is going to be from the tires you use and the weight you can get on them.
Land Rovers were first targeted at the agricultural/industrial market with its built in PTO as standard equipment. Check out the cheesy promo video. www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJzz8aU3Ztw
Just got a new issue of Four Wheeler Magazine. Had a story about old willys jeepswith farm implements. Had one with a backhoe and a dozer blade. http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/60716524+w600+re0/1966-jeep-cj-5-with-go-for-digger http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/60716590+w600+re0/1966-jeep-cj-5-with-go-for-digger Talk about easy roading to the next job.
The old Willys farm Jeep had some cool options with the three point hitch & pto. Nebraska even ran one through the test http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2048&context=tractormuseumlit Old vs. new www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaVkRZL5G_c