Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Will a RM mill asphalt and also mix soil cement?

ETMF 58 White ยท 2018-07-01 07:35

I need to rent a machine to mill some asphalt to be removed and sold as millings, and then to mix soil cement. Will one machine, say a Cat RM350 or something similar, do both jobs? Is it even feasible to take up asphalt and sell the millings using a road reclaimer?

Replies4
  1. #1ETMF 58 White2018-07-01 07:42

    The reason I am asking about a road reclaimer is that I can't get a milling contractor to come, and the only milling machine I can find to rent is $25000 a month, and 250 miles away. Renting a road reclaimer is about half that, but of course I would have to scoop up the millings with a loader to get them on trucks.

  2. #2Vetech632018-07-11 13:13

    It will mix whatever you put under it. Just make sure you don't hit any concrete or manholes!

  3. #3hvy 1ton2018-07-11 14:16

    A reclaimer will mill asphalt. The product I've seen behind reclaimers looks very similar to millings, so selling it shouldn't be a problem. You'll want to make sure the reclaimer doesn't have a soil mixing only rotor. I'd be surprised if a rental machine did, but it's worth checking on.

  4. #4BM2002018-08-01 12:28

    The RM series caterpillar reclaimers need to have the drum clutch adjusted when going from milling to soil cement applications. and another thing,i have used the rm300 to mill in the past but it depends on the layer thickness and duration of milling.