Guys - running an old Cat 235 now, looking at upgrading newer and smaller. This one is just a moose to move for most of the things we do, however now and then the power and size is nice for large trees but most of the time don't need that much. What I've found is a 2000 Volvo EC210B LC or a couple of Komatsu PC220LC-6's. Will I be disappointed going from an 85,000 lb mid 70's machine to a newer 50,000 lb machine? I think moving it and hauling will be much much nicer and most jobs I do the smaller machine should be fine. I would assume the newer machines are probably a lot quicker/stronger in the hydraulics than my old Cat. Opinions? What are your thoughts on the Volvo EC210? How bout Komatsu PC220's? Thanks guys. Chris
I kind of did exactly what you are talking about- I have an old 235 (mostly just a pit machine), upgraded to a 220 Komatsu, then traded that on a new 324 Cat. I think that the 324 has as much or more power than the 235, but I sometimes miss the reach, my 235 has the 12' stick and so it has about 4' on the 324, aside from that (and most jobs it doesn't matter) it is much nicer to move, burns about half the fuel, swings a bigger bucket, is way faster, and so much smoother and nicer to operate. I have decided to keep the 235 for now as a pit machine to load trucks, but even then when the 324 is not busy and we have a lot to haul, we will use that instead. I have only used it on one job since I got the new machine, and that was because it was 4 miles down the road and I used it to clear a drain, and I still moved the 324 in to do the digging. I think that Komatsu makes a nice machine, but my experience with the 220 was not so good, all the pins & bushings were sloppy at 2400 hrs, oil and fuel lines rotted and leaking, and a dealer that was less than honest. The 324 that I have now is a few years newer but much smoother to operate, the Komatsu was rather jerky. Both machines were similarly equipped (hyd. thumb & coupler) and the 220 was a rocking horse, 324 is stable with a 3/4yd bigger bucket. Just my experience, I know lots of people who love their Komatsu's. I have a Volvo ECR88, and it is a nice machine, not as smooth as the Cat, but my biggest complaint with Volvo is the outrageous parts prices for example $1,000 for a handful of o rings to re seal the swing brake, makes Cat parts look cheap.
I don't think you would be disappointed with the 200-220 size machines. I have done a lot of tree work with the ones I have had. I currently have a 2005 Volvo ec210 with hyd thumb. The actual weight is 62,000lbs. I am not sure why its more than it should be, I weighed it at the local grain elevator. My machine has 5200hrs on it and has been very reliable. I don't have much experience with Komatsu excavators. Rented a 2006 JD 200 before I got the Volvo was nice but I think the Volvo has more power and is more stable when working with trees. As ror77a stated the parts can be high sometimes. Kinda weird some things are priced ok, than others will have you going :jawdrop
The 220's are going to weigh in around 56,000 lbs. They are a rocking horse, though. The Volvo will be junk by 7500 hrs. My advice would be to keep looking.
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been hearing mixed reviews on the Volvo's. A few guys in the area here run all Komatsu and one guy runs strictly Volvo. Dealer support is a little closer on Cat but only by about 50 miles. Otherwise have Deere, Case, Volvo, Komatsu, Kobelco all about the same distance. Seems to be a lot of Komatsu PC220's for sale at a decent price, are they pretty decent all around? Thanks.
Why not a 270 sized machine at around 65,000 pounds?
I was kind of trying to stay right below 60,000 but another 5,000 wouldn't be a deal breaker probably. Anyone have any experience with Kobelco?
I have several hundred hours on an 05 Kobelco 210 dynamic acera. I swear that if you could find a branch strong enough you could grab it with the thumb and pull your self off the ground! Very pleased with the track power and speed. It was one of my favorite machines to run. Weighed about 48,000 pounds and I believe it made about 80,000 pounds of pull with the tracks if you were tied to the car body(track frame). A buddy of mine has a 2010 JCB 220 and that is also a very nice machine with a weight of about 54,000 pounds with thumb.....one of my favorites now.