Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Will it work

Old Doug ยท 2020-03-17 19:56

I put this off and now its a swamp and they are going to tear the buildings down buy it. There is a storage tank that i want to get i think its 20' long and 8'tall 1/4 thick. It has a door way in one end and most of the floor 6' 16' cut out. Its behind a shop thats going to be torn down so its about 75 feet from the road. Its about needs to be pulled out from behind the building then its a strait shot to the street but there is not alot to winch off of. Some thing else is to winch off of a tree that is beside it several feet and roll it over so it would be out of the way and leave it tell it drys up. I have a single axle truck with a 60.000 #winch its a swamp and its going to rain more so i cant get far from the street. I am going to look at it agin tomorrow am i wasting my time or can i slid it? I want the tank to make a place to store my skidsteer.

Replies8
  1. #1Jonas3022020-03-17 20:49

    Tank is around 6000 pounds originally about 1000 missing in the floor and door add in sticktion in the dirt and friction a 6000 pound winch with snatch block for double line pull might do it uphill on the truck might need another snatch block and probably a winch motor by the time its done I assume someone is going in with a trackhoe to take down the building might be worth it to pay them to help at least get it to the street

  2. #2Willie B2020-03-17 20:50

    My crawler in the Avatar lives in a 20' long, 8' diameter tank. Both ends were cut out when I got it. Mine is 5/16" thick. Mine included 502 square feet of 5/16" steel. My tank is 502 square feet. At 5/16" thick it is 1/38.4 feet thick . Roughly 14 cubic feet of steel. Steel weighs 490 LBS per cubic foot, or 6533 LBS. I transported mine on a 4 ton trailer. I bought the tank with both ends removed. It hauled fine as a cylinder. I got it home, cut it lengthwise, and spread the seam to a full 8 feet leaving the sides as vertical walls. I made frames of scrap steel for each end, and buried the bottom crossmembers. Mine would have been over 13'6" sitting on top of the trailer. So I backed the trailer into the tank, and chained it up under the trailer frame. That worked fine. I was a little over the allowed 10' wide so I worried about police. Made the three miles without being caught.

  3. #3Old Doug2020-03-17 21:56

    I have a 12000 winch on my car trailer i bet it wouldnt move it. My 1830 case wouldnt even jar it. I tore down a bulk fuel station i ended up hauling 2 tanks on my gooseneck trailer the biggest was 10' tall and 20' long. I had to go down the main street because of how tall it was. It was in the afternoon i didnt like it but thought it would be ok. I pulled on to the main drag and there was people every were they were geting ready for a parade. I think the police were haveing a meeting about the parade because i didnt see a one any were . It felt funny trying to get away with something while the whole town was watching me.

  4. #4Jumbo2020-03-19 11:14

    Assuming you are going to haul it on it's side, flop it over to begin with, put a roll on it and roll it to the road.

  5. #5Old Doug2020-03-21 18:48

    I got it to the road today. It was a muddy mess. I broke a 3/8 chain and a pulley. I am going tomorrow and load it i bet that will not go easy.I hope this thing turns out to be good storage after all the trouble it has been.

  6. #6Old Doug2020-03-24 16:38

    It rained and snowed so i put it off for a day. I lifted the one end and backed my trailer under it. It was in a bad spot 10' from a light pole and it loves to roll. I tryed pulling up put it was to muddy then i tryed pulling the pickup with my winch truck but the dovetail dug in i stopped and lifted the back from the side and pulled it on farther. I tryed winching it on but that only pulled the trailer sideways witch was ok because that got it out of the ruts. I then pulled forwards and lifted the end agin so it could be pulled up to were i had some toquge weight.

  7. #7Old Doug2020-04-19 11:01

    I parked my skid steer in it last night finly. It was a job to move it and then build a pad up to set it on then i had to do some welding on it so i had to drag out a couple 100' of leads to use the shops welder. I steal need to replace some skylights and build a door for it. It will be great to get 2 things out of the shop so i can work on a truck in there and i did a lot of cleaning so i can park 2 trucks and a trailer beside the tank. I all so want to put up a chain rack in it this will be a easyer to get to place for chains and free up some room in a storage trailer.

  8. #8Jakex1202020-04-28 09:53

    Sounds interesting..any pics taken of all this?