Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Will this hydrolic fluid work?

duramax-rob ยท 2011-01-30 10:36

Hey all!!! I already posted in the lube section, but I would Appreciate any replys. I just rebuilt my Hydrolic pump on my Allis chalmers 816 backhoe and it call for F--SAE 10w-30 oil in the hydrolic system. This backhoe is made in late 70's, so would using universal hydrolic/trans fluid 303 work ok in it. I already bought 50 gallons of the 303 fluid to use not thinking that it might not be the same viscocsity as the 10w-30. Any opinion as to wether or not it will be close enough to use. WE are having snow coming in tuesday and would like to get this thing running in time. If The fluid won't work, I can take it back and get 30w but its like 3times as expensive. Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!! Rob

Replies2
  1. #1willie592011-01-30 11:56

    I don't see any reason that fluid wouldn't work. It just has additives for machines that use a common oil supply for hydraulics, transmission, and wet brakes. But there's no reason it would work simply as a hydraulic oil if the price was good and you have already purchased a drum of it. Plus, it should work in your tranny as well. http://www.texasrefinery.com/lb-special303.htm

  2. #21080 bobcat2011-01-30 14:58

    I think 303 is equal to 20w oil i use 10w30 motoroil in all hydrualic systems & add a addtive if the system has to have it 10w30 holds up better if run it all day