Hello. I'm new to this forum. I'm thinking of mounting a winch on a Takeuchi T10. It's a 10,000 pound machine. I'm using the machine mostly for forestry applications ( mulching and moving logs ) and I hope to rebuild an old pond. I think it's inevitable that I'll get stuck, and I'd like the capability to pull large logs that my Kubota 4330 with a fransguard winch can't handle. Any thoughts on this? What size winch would be good for pulling out a stuck 10,000 lb machine? I'm considering mounting the winch on the machine ( this would also provide some counter weight vs. a "portable" type winch that could be moved from place to place and secured to a tree with a heavy strap. What "accessories" would make the winch the most versatile in the woods and around the mill. Thanks, Ron
Don't use a Warn winch because you can't dead pull with them without busting the brake. Superwinch would be a better option IMHO. In another post on here I suggested mounting a winch on a set of rippers so you get the best of all worlds.
HeavyEquipmentForums HeavyEquipmentForums Check these out, if you need more force only rarely, use snatch blocks instead of a bigger cable than you need most of the time. Tones, what do you mean about busting the brake on a Warn? You mean pulling hard on something that's not moving? how does that bust the brake. Trying to learn the cheap way.
I think he's saying you can't hook the line to something and drive away pulling it. Not using the winch, but yanking on the cable?
You must have fairly small trees. How far do you intend to drag the trees.? Do you have a friend with a tow truck. If you don't get stuck too bad the kubots could probably pull you out some times. What grapples are suitable for the Takeuchi? Brevini or some of the italian winches are worth considering. Probably mount the winch on the grapple mount for small tree logging and put it on the back of the Takeuchi for pond building and mulching.
Sure, that makes sense. Hadn't thought of that.
CLT winch Thanks for the reply. That sounds like a good plan. I'll look at the Brevini winch. I'm not familiar with kabobs? ....I'll be skidding tall southern yellow pine...18" to 30" DBH three to four hundred yards. I'll have a heavy duty CID root grapple. I'd need to be able to remove the winch from the grapple so it can be used for moving logs and brush. Ron
ctl winch ....Just realized you meant Kubota. I believe the Fransgard v4000 PTO winch on the Kubota is rated at 8800 Lbs. It works great for skidding except for some of the bigger stuff I can't pull in tree length. I'm thinking if /when I get Real stuck, it'll be when I'm digging in the old pond site. That's when I'll be needing a bigger winch.
Yup lantraxo is right onto it. Here in Oz the that part costs about $1000, agent says they don't fail but have plenty in stock. Go figure.
That's a real bummer on the cost Tones . That's more money than we had invested in the whole skid loader winch project . Long story short on a drag winch is the cable is the fail safe breaking point . Build the rig so it will "snap" the cable before anything else fails .
The winch cable was 1/2" and was fitted when I purchased the machine new and is the recomened size for a 12000lb Warn winch. Plenty of Tilt Tray owners have had the same problem over here. I believe a pinion drive winch is far more durable than a winch dirven through a plantary gearbox.
Nope, but the planetary gearbox cannot be made of cast aluminum for an even Stephen test.