Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Window into my world

poulson01 ยท 2007-08-08 20:39

This is where I work every day! It takes a little getting used to but there is something to be said for working with this much latitude. You can pretty much rip up the plans once you have an idea what they want. Oh yeah. I swear didn't undermine the van. I didn't actually see it happen. I was in the skid steer when all the masons started pointing and laughing! He must have hit it pretty hard! I mean God forbid you can't always back right up to the front door!

Replies21
  1. #1atgreene2007-08-08 20:46

    What is it for a building, apartments? Where's your machine? We need more pics dammit!

  2. #2544D102007-08-08 21:35

    I would of left his dumb (bleep) there. Either that or put a chain on it and jerk it hard enough to knock some sense into him.

  3. #3SouthOnBeach2007-08-08 21:37

    yea what he said. more pics of your toys. did ya help get the van off the pile?

  4. #4Dusty2007-08-09 15:33

    2 funny gotta love it

  5. #5Dozerboy2007-08-09 15:41

    Awe the joy of having a company vehicle....

  6. #6poulson012007-08-10 12:18

    Well, Im so sick of pulling these guys out that I now demand payment for the service. I was right in the middle of preping walkways for the masons when the guy in the box truck asked me to pull out his buddy. I told him I was bussy and it would cost $20 and then watched them spend a half an hour pulling it off the pile themselves. Over the winter, I had a contractor ask me to pull the waterproofing guys INTO a mudhole so that they could nail up some drain board. I was running a crew laying ductile iron and told the guy that this was WAY to big a favor to ask since I didn't think I owed him anything, especially since we had bid on the job and he had used someone else. I told him that I would rent him a D6 (rental) for $1100. I was talking the waterprofing guy out of it when the GC stormed off, jumped into the contracors Isuzu box truck and drove it straight into a 4 foot trench that we had just bakcfilled with slop. It was almost dark so I quickly rounded up my crew and left. The next morning, I ran into the waterproofing guy who told me that it was 10:00pm and $300 before they were able to drive the truck off the site. Funny thing was, we had a cold snap that same night and the whole place was frozen solid by morning. They could have backed right up to the foundation if they had just waited 12 hours. There are contracors that I would drop everything for, no questions. But yesterday, I had a guy refuse to move his pick up because he didn't have enough extension cords and he didn't want to take the generator off his truck. He held me up for a good 20 minutes. Let THAT dumbass get stuck and ask for a pull! The buildings are like town houses only bigger. There are four in this culdesac and they each have "livable" basements. The one in the background has 12 units! This year, we will be able to go up another story! I don't know if anyone is familiar with this community but each family has about 10 or 11 kids! This is where Paul senior form Orange County Choppers made a lot of his money. As for equipment, we have: new D5 old D41-a 2 new 320cL with hydraulic thums and pin grabbers new Linkbelt 225 spin ace with pin grabber old 320bL old 315 old 312 Kubota 121 Cat 416 Cat 257 Moxy 27 ton 800 # hammer 2500 # hammer 4' plate compactor frost ripper Roller, harley rake and forks for the skid steer Paystar 5000 tri axle with L10 285 and 7LL :beatsme: Mack CH612 with 10 yard body Mack DM685 with E6 237 and two stick 5 speed 9400 eagle with two dump trailers, Talbert 50 ton and old ass 35 ton detach F550 service truck F550 mason dump Eager beaver 20 ton with no spring brakes Big Tex 5 ton We also have an enclosed with sewer and water main testing outfits

  7. #7tuney4432007-08-10 13:42

    Poulson--let me guess---Is your project in either Monticello or Woodridge?

  8. #8biggixxerjim2007-08-10 15:41

    ... call me liberal, but I think this isn't really the way to conduct good business. Everyone is busy on the job site. And sometimes people do screw up. It's no reason to stifle a measly $20 out of them. Favors do go both ways, and so do other things that begin with the word F. And if I were the super on this job, you sure wouldnt be commin anywhere near my jobs again..... the attitude that you dont owe him anything just because he didnt pick you bid is BS. Maybe someone bid better than you did. Get over it, stop being a child. Next time he wont remember your good attitude but he will remember how you told him to rent a machine that weighs 9 tons and $600 too much for pulling vans out and grading a site. :duh

  9. #9Dozerboy2007-08-10 16:59

    X2 but it goes both ways. I'm will to do the first favor but if I get screwed on the deal beware. Heck if I need something moved out of my way thats holding me up and I was only held up for 20 mins I would ecstatic. Normally it would take hours if I'm lucky if not days or weeks, and I bet anything that your crew isn't so efficient that you don't wast more then 20 mins. a day. If you where in his shoes what would do waste 20 mins moving out of the way and then go back to work or do what you got to get done and get out of the way.

  10. #10poulson012007-08-10 18:40

    #1. biggixxerjim Pull the same 3 or 4 bone heads out every other day for a couple of years and you'd see where I'm coming from.:Banghead It would be a whole different thing if they cared. Not even a thanks! And if you are the kind of super that tries to get freebies from an excavator that you passed over for a competitor, you're right. I wouldn't go anywhere near your site. Yes the other guy was cheaper but don't ask me to do what he won't do. Especially when I'm on someone elses time. #2. Dozerboy. Someone who you've never seen on the job that you started a year ago comes in like he owns the place and stops a crew of masons because he's too lazy to take the generator out of his truck and set it on the sidewalk. You'll be just as pissed. 20 minutes times 5 or 6 guys is a big deal.

  11. #11OneWelder2007-08-10 18:58

    Last job I was on the general contracter borrowed IT 28 with forks supposedly for 45 min, could not get it back till after quiting time 4 hours later. Two days later the same guy made us move and reset up our equipment when we only had 20 more min. to finish that section. Fork loader suddenly got busy when A deliviry came.

  12. #12digger242j2007-08-10 19:35

    If that is the case, then we don't need to pursue, this particular instance beyond the explanation given. HOWEVER, as Wolf's post reflects, that particular term is one that can be interpreted as an ethnic slur. Since any sort of ethnic slur or stereotyping has NO place on this forum, all posters should be careful of how and when they use terms that might be interpreted as such. Let's just all try and think of how the things we post might be taken--we have members, and casual readers, of all sorts, and each deserves the same respect. Nothing less than that will be tolerated. On edit: Posts that led up to this have been edited out at the Opening Poster's request. The misunderstanding has been cleared up. This post will remain, as a policy statement from the management of HEF.

  13. #13Cat4202007-08-10 21:39

    poulson01, what's your company name? You can Pm me if you don't feel like posting it. You're right around the corner from me:waving

  14. #14CM19952007-08-10 21:57

    I think digger said it well and to be honest I was thinking of the worst about the phrase - glad that is settled. Ahh - the joys of working on a busy building site. The picture of the van brings back some memories that I am glad I don't deal with anymore. What is it with the building trades that think they have to be two steps, if not right in the front door. ointhead One time, on one of my townhome projects, I was fine grading around the building in my T250 prepping for drives and landscaping. My home security/home video sub guys pull up right in the front door as I am grading the whole front of the building. They proceed to get out and go about there business. After having a little fit inside the bobcat I decided to have a little fun. I let them get unloaded and get going with their rough in. Then I proceeded to pile several bucket loads of dirt and crap both in front and behind the van - real close, like touching it. After completing my task I decided it was time to go to the office to do some paperwork. I found out later, of course I had folks watching, that it took some major manuevering and about 30 mins to get out of the predicament when they were ready to leave. BTW- it was late afternoon Friday and you know how everyone is at that time. Sometimes it is the smaller things in life that brings you so much joy.

  15. #15Countryboy2007-08-10 22:35

    Believe me when I say that I'm the person you want to have come by you when your stuck in a mud hole in the woods. I have absolutely no problem throwing the strap out the back of the Ol' Chevy and pulling you out. I actually find it a little gratifying in that it adds to my ego. BUT...... theres always a but I also have a personal rule that I follow: Screw me once, shame on you.....screw me twice, shame on me. If I gotta give you a pull after that.......its gonna cost ya. I'm talking bout the backwoods but I would also apply that to the jobsite if I was there. Shoot, I pulled a huge Winibago out of a major intersection in Macon one time. That thing had traffic backed up a good mile or so. I stopped by to see if I could lend a hand but the cop quickly said my services weren't needed. Well, I go and have a talk with the driver. He said he was having electrical problems and the wrecker wouldn't be out for another 45 min. Rush hour traffic has come to a halt through that intersection. I told him I figured I could pull him out of the road, over the curb and into a parking lot on the other side. The cop, who was listening over my shoulder, said I don't think you can. I said I could and the driver said I wish you would. So me and the driver had struck a deal. The cop wasn't happy but he had no say in it. So I back up to that big motor home and throw out the chain. He hooks it on his end and I wait for his signal. He gives me the GO AHEAD and I stick her in 4-LO and go to pulling. Took me a minute to get it moving but once I did, it was a walk in the park. I got him pulled into the parking lot, came to a stop, then ease back to put some slack in the chain. He got out, unhooked it and walked up to me to say Thanks. He had no sooner gotten to the cab of my truck and the cop started yelling. We both turn to see the motor home rolling back over the curb and into the street. The intersection formed a vertical U shape so once it crossed the middle, it came to a stop on the other side of the incline before it rolled back to where it as originally resting. Ol' dude had gone running after it but I just stood there and smiled. His forgetting to put it in PARK was about to cost him dearly. He came back and said he was ready to give it another go. I got him back to the parking lot and I drove away with an extra hundred bucks in my pocket. Should I feel bad...no way....the Big Truck Wrecker would of hit him up for $200. The way I see it, we both won. Like I said.....Screw me once, shame on you......Screw me twice, shame on me....I have no shame. :cool2

  16. #16biggixxerjim2007-08-10 23:07

    great story... I agree.

  17. #17Squizzy246B2007-08-11 08:09

    Ok folks thanks, ...can we keep this one on the earthmoving and construction site stuff from here on.

  18. #18BrianHay2007-08-11 21:42

    Am I going senile in my old age? I could have swore I had a post in this thread? Its not here anymore though? :beatsme ...I thought I seen an answer to it to that is gone now

  19. #19digger242j2007-08-11 21:43

    Read the edit, in my post #13. Any questions, PM me...

  20. #20Ford LT-90002007-08-12 13:02

    I see sub contractors are no different there than they are here. Its who can get closest to the front door doesn't matter if you got to call a tow truck at the end of the day. I don't know how many subs I got grumbling that they had to go move their truck. The disposal contractor gets priority The people that park in the wrong spot every time is either the home owner or the building inspector :cussing You spent 10 mins trying to find the sub-contractor come back outside and the building inspector or engineer showed up parked infront of the sub contractors truck. Now its another 10 mins trying to find the the inspector.

  21. #21lgammon2007-08-12 22:59

    i don't mind as long as they have a recever hitch on there truck i just pick them up and push them out of the way....really pisses they off i just laugh, they reall like it when the park while i am telling them not to and just go to pushing it with them inside