Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Window Maker

RobVG ยท 2011-03-29 20:00

Our guys break alot of rock when building rockeries. In the process they also break a couple of kicker windows a year at $200 a pop. I decided to make them out of 1/4 inch Lexan at a cost of $45 but it turned out to be too ridged to fit in the curve track. So with some spare time on my hands last winter I made this oven/press gizmo powered by a heat gun. The first widow looked like a lasagna noodle but the next turned out good and fit right. The window in the pic is Lexan.

Replies7
  1. #1k.key2011-03-29 20:15

    Nice jig Rob, loook like it works well....

  2. #2willie592011-03-29 20:28

    Cool press rob.

  3. #3Lee-online2011-03-29 20:35

    Good idea with the form. What about installing a rock guard? Lexan sucks to look through after it is faded and all scratched up, but at least it is only the lower.

  4. #4RobVG2011-03-29 21:39

    A rock guard would protect the window but half our walls are down walls were the machine is on the top of the cut. Operators need a clear view to the toe. The window in the pic was the first and believe it or not it's just dirty. I haven't had to polish it yet.

  5. #5shopteacher 12011-03-30 11:41

    looks inovative!

  6. #6John C.2011-03-30 20:31

    Great idea and job on that Rob! Maybe you should do some marketing around here. I'll bet 90% of the excavators I've seen in the last fifteen years did not have the kick windows. To spruce up old Lexan or plexiglass I got a product from Meguiar's called PlastX. It cleaned up the fairing on my motor cycle just great. It takes a little work but is far cheaper than replacing a window in a feller buncher. I got this bottle at Schuck's.

  7. #7RobVG2011-03-31 12:40

    Hey thanks John. And thanks for the PlastX tip, I heard of if but couldn't remember the name. I'll give it a try.